I can't see a lot of special synergy between Black Jacket and Assassin. :(

I was thinking of alternating between guns and backstabbing. But I haven't checked much the Beta, so I'm not sure what works best.

Firearms are not more suitable for backstabbing than greatsword atm, so...

I don't want to be a rogue with a greatsword. I want a more pirate-like character with guns, a shortsword or stilettos. In fact, my character was a duel wielding stiletto priestess of Skaen (one of Boeroer's builds ;) ).

If you're out of Guile after your last backstab, and +deflection from escape has worn off, you can immediately switch to a shield....

If you only get 3 uses of backstab / assassinate, you can do arquebus - arquebus - arquebus - then switch to dual blunderbuss/pistols etc.

So I can backstab with an arquebus? It doesn't work with dual wielding? Sorry for my ignorance. I have a lot to consider to choose my character...

Yes, you can backstab with ranged weapons, but you have to be close (within 2 m of target). 

If you're going to go backstab with stiletto -> smoke veil -> backstab -> smoke veil -> backstab -> switch to guns... quick switch would make the switch to guns slightly faster, but beyond that it doesn't add much. You wouldn't be switching weapons between backstabs most likely... unless you wanted to use the immediate switch to shield and defensive weapon while waiting out recovery (weapon recovery time is long) to use smoke veil again.

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1

Yes, you can backstab with ranged weapons, but you have to be close (within 2 m of target). 

If you're going to go backstab with stiletto -> smoke veil -> backstab -> smoke veil -> backstab -> switch to guns... quick switch would make the switch to guns slightly faster, but beyond that it doesn't add much. You wouldn't be switching weapons between backstabs most likely... unless you wanted to use the immediate switch to shield and defensive weapon while waiting out recovery (weapon recovery time is long) to use smoke veil again.

Ok, good to know. No Black Jacket then.

sign.jpg

I was thinking of alternating between guns and backstabbing. But I haven't checked much the Beta, so I'm not sure what works best.

I don't want to be a rogue with a greatsword. I want a more pirate-like character with guns, a shortsword or stilettos. In fact, my character was a duel wielding stiletto priestess of Skaen (one of Boeroer's builds ;) ).

If you're out of Guile after your last backstab, and +deflection from escape has worn off, you can immediately switch to a shield....

If you only get 3 uses of backstab / assassinate, you can do arquebus - arquebus - arquebus - then switch to dual blunderbuss/pistols etc.

So I can backstab with an arquebus? It doesn't work with dual wielding? Sorry for my ignorance. I have a lot to consider to choose my character...

Backstab with a stiletto is pretty bad, but i guess you are not a min-max player so do whatever you like :)

Backstab with a stiletto is pretty bad, but i guess you are not a min-max player so do whatever you like :)

Also has less base damage than other fast one-handed weapons, and the modal adds penetration---which assassin doesn't usually need---in exchange for longer recovery time, which defeats the purpose of a fast weapon to begin with....

Has anyone tried a Harbinger?  I was initially planning to play a Skald/Shattered Pillar, but after finding out Swift Flurry and Lightning Strikes are mutually exclusive, I'm not necessarily sold on that any longer, and all the full attacks of rogue plus the hit->crit conversion seem like they might be pretty appealing.

If you are looking for great hit/crit conversion then Skald/Fighter is the way to go. Disciplined Strikes (50%) and Killers Froze Stiff (50%) combined will give you a 75% to convert all your hits to crits. Devoted will even give you additional crit damage. I like fast weapon dual wielding in this case - like clubs (Bewildering Strikes lowers Will - Killers targets Will).

And of course Cleaving Stance...

But the rogue has better Full Attacks (most notably Crippling Strike which has bonus PEN, interrupts and only costs 1 Guile). His conversion of 15% is pretty weak though, especially when combined with Killers: 50% and 15% combined is "only" 57.5%.

What most people forget when looking at the upgrades of Crippling Strike: the version that also Distracts seems to be a bit weak, but it will put two afflictions from different stats on your target. Not only will this immediately unlock Deathblows later on, but since they are from different attributes they can remove any inspiration of those two stats from the target. It is a good "debuff" attack besides interrupting, which is great as well.

So, Skald/Rogue (maybe Streetfighter because once you get flanked you are so much faster) is also a good pick. Here I might like Rapier + Dagger (fast attacks and you can skip the longer recovery time of the rapier's modal whith Full Attacks). Should grant you +20 ACC with the rapier without the longer recovery (I guess - didn't actually try this out).

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, my initial intention was to go dual daggers as a skald/shattered pillar (the character I'm importing is a hearth orlan chanter who dual-wielded Legendary March Steel Daggers) since monk was one of the classes that wouldn't be included among the NPCs I was going to use, but since the dagger modal doesn't stack, I figured I'd do dagger/something,  Once I saw that chanter-specific sabre (I'm hoping I'll generate phrases faster than I can really use them) I was kind of thinking sabres.

I thought about fighter, but the wiki isn't particularly helpful since it just lists the inspiration Disciplined Strikes gives, but the links to what those inspirations do doesn't go anywhere.  Not particularly excited about fighters actual attacks, either.

I guess I'll have to just wait until the 8th and see what power levels 6+ actually offer before I can really decide.

I thought about fighter, but the wiki isn't particularly helpful since it just lists the inspiration Disciplined Strikes gives, but the links to what those inspirations do doesn't go anywhere.  Not particularly excited about fighters actual attacks, either.

MaxQuest put together a list of the inspirations and afflictions here.

So, a question on game mechanics... How smoke veil/invisibility potions interfere with enemy targeting?

You should be untargetable while you are invisible but if you go invisible while an enemy is casting a single target spell on you what happens?

Annnd does taking aoe damage (or, well, any kind of damage actually) end the invisibilty anyway?

What do folks think of the Trickster subclass anyways? Was thinking of mixing that with something since I like it thematically, but the penalty seems fairly harsh. Do the defensive skills you get even help survivability much?

What do folks think of the Trickster subclass anyways? Was thinking of mixing that with something since I like it thematically, but the penalty seems fairly harsh. Do the defensive skills you get even help survivability much?

I've found Mirror Image super useful. When you have 30 additional Deflection, enemies tend to target you less (or ignore you), regardless of the fact that each hit you take reduces the bonus.

I've found Mirror Image super useful. When you have 30 additional Deflection, enemies tend to target you less (or ignore you), regardless of the fact that each hit you take reduces the bonus.

I think the trickster subclass when multiclassed with something more defensive can become a very powerful riposte tank/dps build.

Multiclass it with Skald. The damage penalty doesn't matter so much when it's the crits themselves that you're farming for the Skald's Invocations, making him more of a melee CC than DPS.

• 2 weeks later...

Read this post again and I'm not quite done with it. ;)

Rogue/Cipher doesn't work, (and that's a f**ckin bummer), because as a Cipher you can't cast spells on yourself.

Assassin // Soulblade sounds awesome, but not being able to cast Reaping Knives on yourself, is such a waste that I'm sad about it.

Besides the Reaping Knives (which make no sense when cast on oneself anyway in my opinion) Rogue + Cipher is actually pretty awesome.

That's because you start the game with a +70% dmg bonus and can go to +90% in a few levels. That's pretty cool.

Especially Assassin/Soulblade is pretty spectacular if you combine it with Backstab. You can one-shot the first victim out of stealth pretty easily and get a ton of focus for your Soul Annihilation - which usually one-shots the next enemy, then use Smoke Cloud and repeat. Perfect Assassin in my opinion. 

Detonate works with Assassination by the way. ;)

Is this Assassin/Soulblade option still viable or is it worse after the nerfs to backstab Boeroer?

Going to try a blackjacket/rogue at some point - looks like it will fit with the pirate theme nicely. Would be nice if I could use a male orlan - but the portraits are sadly limited for them.

Not sure about the stats though? WIthout droppiing any below 9 what would be important for a pistol focused build? Might/Perc/Dex?

"Those who look upon gods then say, without even knowing their names, 'He is Fire. She is Dance. He is Destruction. She is Love.' So, to reply to your statement, they do not call themselves gods. Everyone else does, though, everyone who beholds them."
"So they play that on their fascist banjos, eh?"
"You choose the wrong adjective."
"You've already used up all the others.”

Lord of Light