Sadly Blast + rogue's strikes (as well as monk's stunning blows etc.) no longer causes afflictions in an AoE. Only the initial targets gets the affliction now. Secret nerf or something...

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Sadly Blast + rogue's strikes (as well as monk's stunning blows etc.) no longer causes afflictions in an AoE. Only the initial targets gets the affliction now. Secret nerf or something...

That’s very sad, what abou wizards’ Blight spell, does it proc AOE affliction?

Has anyone tried a Devoted/Streetfighter swashbuckler? I was thinking of making one for my character, with an emphasis on DPS and with lower CON. Would that be plausible or would the Streetfighter's malus bite me in the ass too much?

Blights and also Spirit Lance don't do it anymore as well. I shouldn't complain, I mocked that behavior in the first place. :)

Swift Flurry still works...

Edited by Boeroer

Blights and also Spirit Lance don't do it anymore as well. I shouldn't complain, I mocked that behavior in the first place. :)

Swift Flurry still works...

At least devs are awared of this kind of issue and addressed some of them. So you mean Blight/Blast + Swift Flurry still works? I wonder how the inner mechanism of these weapon attacks. If they use come parameter to prevent some cases, there will always be edge cases like Blast + Swift. I'd say the best solution is turn all aoe into Carnage like special attacks that won't proc on-hit-effect, including Blight/Blast AOE, Citizal Lance AOE, Carnage, Cleave and maybe disengagement attack and riposte.

Yes, Sfot Flurry with AoE attacks still works and can lead to cascading like before - unless OBS did a secret minipatch in beta4 that I'm not aware of. Although it got nerfed to 30% you can still make it work easily with the right combos. I reported the other day that Minor Blights with Single Handed Style is still one-shotting groups... or Blast + Killers Froze Stiff does the same. That was beta4.

I think one can blame us (or me) that the rogue (and others) can't put out AoE afflictions (and interrupts) anymore - because I mocked the evolution of PoE's Carnage to Deadfire's Blast more than once in beta 1 to beta3. :)

Sadly my beloved Trickster/Beguiler combo isn't that good anymore (it wasn't OP to begin with, but viable and fun to play).

Edited by Boeroer

So I was thinking for Rp reason to play a Zealot (assassin/priest of Berath)

I thought this would fit nicely, a neutral assassin killing whoever berath claim to go back in the wheel. And using the holy berath 2h weapon only for backstabbing some boss (indeed for the rest it seems overkill+long recovery time)

However a lot of people said that priest buff are not that great, and, as I don't have access to the beta I have no idea if there is nice synergie between priest and rogue.

What do you guys think?

Priest buffs are not great? Who said that?

They still have Devotions for the Faithful with +20 ACC and bonus MIG as well as -20 ACC and malus MIG for enemies. 

The synergy between Spiritual Great Sword and Assassinate/Backstab is nice. Also Pillar of Faith or Divine Mark can be used with Assassinate which can be cool. Besides that I see no awesome synergies though. Except maybe that Triumph of the Crusaders (+200 health on kill) might be pretty cool with an assassin who can kill quickly.

Edited by Boeroer

I knew something was off, but chocked it to misses while testing the build. Sad day. Hopefully there will be a way to mod it back in, as like you said, Trickster/Beguiler isn't super OP.

Maybe it's just me, but Beguiler's Focus recovery with AoE Deception powers also seems finicky since the latest update.

Edited by Ophiuchus

Three major issues with priest buffs:

1. All the buffs in the beta are iirc AoE, so any multiclass would be better off having a single-class priest cast it on them. They're not self-only buffs. This should change drastically in later levels with Minor Avatar though.

2. A lot of the lower level buffs are just inspirations that don't seem that great. But there are major exceptions.

3. Long casting time last I checked. This might have changed significantly in beta 4, but iirc they're still relatively long compared with other spells?

In contrast, Wizard buffs are mostly self-only and have very fast casting times with 0 recovery.

However, Priests have Spiritual Weapon, which only they can use and which has strong lash damage. So Priest/Rogue does good DPS---once you've summoned the weapon. But the weapon has a relatively long casting time. On the bright side, you can summon it without leaving hiding (though summoning it currently breaks invisibility---so either one or the other is almost certainly a bug).

Beguiler-Trickster: one minor bit of synergy---the cipher passive that increases length of afflictions caused by the cipher does iirc work with rogue afflictions too. But it's not a large bonus....

Edited by SaruNi

Read this post again and I'm not quite done with it. ;)

Rogue/Cipher doesn't work, (and that's a f**ckin bummer), because as a Cipher you can't cast spells on yourself.

Assassin // Soulblade sounds awesome, but not being able to cast Reaping Knives on yourself, is such a waste that I'm sad about it.

Besides the Reaping Knives (which make no sense when cast on oneself anyway in my opinion) Rogue + Cipher is actually pretty awesome.

That's because you start the game with a +70% dmg bonus and can go to +90% in a few levels. That's pretty cool.

Especially Assassin/Soulblade is pretty spectacular if you combine it with Backstab. You can one-shot the first victim out of stealth pretty easily and get a ton of focus for your Soul Annihilation - which usually one-shots the next enemy, then use Smoke Cloud and repeat. Perfect Assassin in my opinion.

Detonate works with Assassination by the way. ;)

Does the damage of soul annihilation depend only on your focus or does it also depend on your base damage?

You said you fight like this: stealth -> backstab -> soul annihilation -> invisibility -> backstab

Would it be useful to use soul annihilation from invisibility or is this just overkill and using both things ( backstab and SA ) after another is better?

Using SA from invisibility is not really useful because using Assassination + Backstab already kills most enemies and generates a lot of focus for your SA. If you'd use SA from stealth you would also kill the enemy but be left with 0 focus. Alternating between Assassination+Backstab and SA is a lot better.

SA's dmg bonus is a flat one that is only calculated based on the focus you have. Weapon base damage is not involved. BUT: SA works like this: you hit the target with the normal attack and do damage (and generate focus for that hit like with any other hit) and then all your focus is converted into raw damage. So it is acutally benefical to use a heavy hitter because then the damage roll is higher, the focus gain from the initial SA-attack is also higher and overall you'll do more damage with the SA strike.

Because of this it's also not good to wait for max focus when doing SA. Since it's generating its own focus before dumping the raw damage it's better to execute it with half focus or so.

SA + Assassination does more damage than Assassination alone (Assassination will generate a lot of focus which is then immediately dumped into raw damage). But most of the time this is total overkill. Maybe it's a good strategy against bosses though.

What's also benefical with SA: Greater Focus. Because you tend to generate too much focus with Assassination (and the focus is overflown and wasted PLUS you'll lose Soul Whip's damage bonus) it's good to have higher MAX focus. Also lets you start combat with more focus which you then can immediately use for SA if you can't stealth (scripted scene or whatever).

Sooo after re-reading this comment i pretty much decided i'm going assassin/soul blade cause i love the concept, and i really want to try how assassination plus whisper of treason works out as opening cause it seems amazing on paper.

You'd recommend going with a 2 hander for that playstyle then right? Cause from what i'm reading dual wield is better than 2h,but given how assassination and SA work looks like that a 2hander would perform better, not to say that i could use the greatsword modal which should be great, while the 1h modals seem pretty weak, with the exception of the sword maybe?

The thing i don't loke about 2h is that all that full attacks skills would be kinda wasted, but i think i'd use basically just confounding blind as rog dps skill (and maybe the bell thingy for the staggered debuff), so maybe it's not a big loss.

I'd go with max percepiton and high might/dex and a slight dump in resolve, wearing light/no armor. Do you think it's doable, relying on smoke veil/invisibilty potion to survive and assassinate or that would be too squishy?

I'll probably play on veteran.

Plan is to take pallegina as herald, with summon skeletons and its upgrade to create meat shields and myth fir + shared flames as core skills and eder as swashbuckler tank (plus 2 casters, which, if i notice that mage isnt strictly needed, will be xoti and teheku as single class priest/druid),so i didnt want another melee in heavy armor... :S

Greatsword has a long recovery time, so you'll be left standing there unable to do anything and extremely vulnerable. Even if you have great tanking and summons as meatshields you can be hit by ranged, AoE, etc.

Escape does give a +50 deflection boost, though with short duration... and as a multiclass assassin Guile will be scarce so long as you're relying on Smoke Veil for assassinate. Deflection doesn't help against most DD spells though (target reflex or fortitude usually).

On the bright side, assassinate should work with Whispers of Treason.

Maybe if you base your party strategy around defensive buffs for your main (Paladin, Chanter, Priest, and Druid buffs/heals together... should give you some survivability) and have fast, accurate interrupts to halt ranged/AoE attacks (swashbuckler Eder's rogue strike abilities for example)....

Edited by SaruNi

Meh, i knew that you'd destroy my dream of glory QQ.

btw i meant whisper of treason after the first assassination, so you got 1 oneshotted and 1 cc'd.

About greatsword recovery time iirc i've read that is the same of the 1 handers... Must have got it wrong then :S

Meh, i knew that you'd destroy my dream of glory QQ.

btw i meant whisper of treason after the first assassination, so you got 1 oneshotted and 1 cc'd.

About greatsword recovery time iirc i've read that is the same of the 1 handers... Must have got it wrong then :S

It's the same as slow one-handers, but there are still fast one-handers like stilettos, daggers, and clubs. Recovery rate is exacerbated by armor (or, for one-handers, shields).

For survivability you could mix in arquebus assassinate, because it has reload rather than recovery. The reload time doesn't prevent you from immediately moving or using Smoke Veil after the arquebus shot. But Soul Annihilation requires a melee weapon, and weapon switching has a recovery time. 

Edited by SaruNi

With Quick Switch you will have -1.5 sec switching time - so 0.5 sec is left if I'm right. A Black Jacket automatically has -1 sec switching recovery. A Black Jacket with Quick Switch can switch without additional recovery. Guns have no recovery but only reload - so quick switching as a Black Jacket means instant switching and *blam*. :)

Do you think an Assassin/Black Jacket would be good? Backstab, get invisible, backstab... and switch to dual guns later.

sign.jpg

Well the missing recovery of guns means you can trigger stuff like Smoke Cloud or Escape right after the Backstab which is nice.

But I can not see where the special shtick of the Black Jacket (multiple gun sets with Quickswitch) would synergize extremely well with Assassinate. Except if you want to do stealth --> assassinate --> Smoke Cloud --> switch ---> run to next enemy --> assassinate in very quick succession. 

Edited by Boeroer

If you're out of Guile after your last backstab, and +deflection from escape has worn off, you can immediately switch to a shield....

If you only get 3 uses of backstab / assassinate, you can do arquebus - arquebus - arquebus - then switch to dual blunderbuss/pistols etc.

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1

I can't see a lot of special synergy between Black Jacket and Assassin. :(

I was thinking of alternating between guns and backstabbing. But I haven't checked much the Beta, so I'm not sure what works best.

Firearms are not more suitable for backstabbing than greatsword atm, so...

I don't want to be a rogue with a greatsword. I want a more pirate-like character with guns, a shortsword or stilettos. In fact, my character was a duel wielding stiletto priestess of Skaen (one of Boeroer's builds ;) ).

If you're out of Guile after your last backstab, and +deflection from escape has worn off, you can immediately switch to a shield....

If you only get 3 uses of backstab / assassinate, you can do arquebus - arquebus - arquebus - then switch to dual blunderbuss/pistols etc.

So I can backstab with an arquebus? It doesn't work with dual wielding? Sorry for my ignorance. I have a lot to consider to choose my character...

sign.jpg