Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What are you playing right now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
683 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I officially hate all the driving missions in Far Cry 5. The driving mechanics are just idiotic. I don't know if they did it to make those parts challenging, but whatever the reason for the design choice, it's arguably the worst driving mechanics in any game I've played.

Fly a plane instead!

https://i.imgur.com/Eqg1qP7.gifv

Best flying physics ever!
Looks like they based the physics off of rc planes instead of actual planes. The difference of impending weight variables says the plane would stop drag about 25 feet after impact.

Mamoulian War

Mamoulian War

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3813 posts
  • PSN Portable ID:mamoulianfh
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer

After a long while, I have finished another game. Blind walkthrough of Tales of the Abyss. To be honest, I was overwhelmed by the amount of the text, which was thrown at me, even for jRPG standards. In the end, I still have enjoyed the game, and spent almost 80 hours while playing it (3 months of real time due to crazy work schedule). Now I just need to think what to play next. I will probably continue with Hard West or Starcrawlers, which I had to put away for few months due to bug introduced by Unity engine to the newest build of the game.

Or maybe, it might be a time, to finally finish Pillars of Eternity, now that all patches are out :p

Edit: Well actually it was 2 and half month :p

Edited by Mamoulian War, 10 April 2018 - 10:43 AM.

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11310 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I officially hate all the driving missions in Far Cry 5.  The driving mechanics are just idiotic.  I don't know if they did it to make those parts challenging, but whatever the reason for the design choice, it's arguably the worst driving mechanics in any game I've played.

Fly a plane instead!

https://i.imgur.com/Eqg1qP7.gifv

Best flying physics ever!

That's competent flying compared to how I look when I'm driving around in a car/jeep.  If I have to turn the wheel even a little, you pretty much know I'm going to crash into something.

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2731 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I am replaying Halo: CE on the Xbox One X and boy has this game aged horribly! Bad controls, bad level design, levels look as if they were made out of cardboard boxes, paper thin story... 

Why was the term 'halo killer' created I wonder.

Edited by Katphood, 11 April 2018 - 09:02 AM.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I am replaying Halo: CE on the Xbox One X and boy has this game aged horribly! Bad controls, bad level design, levels look as if they were made out of cardboard boxes, paper thin story... 

Why was the term 'halo killer' created I wonder.

Halo didn't age horribly, it was always that bad. It's main claim to fame was being one of the first console online multiplayer FPS. Something which I, as a member of the PC master race who has been playing shooters online since Quake, can only sneer at.

• marelooke likes this

wolfrider100

wolfrider100

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Steam:wolfrider300

Just finished Far Cry 5, but disappointed with the ending. Now

that, that's out of the way I am starting Assassin's Creed Origins.

Edited by wolfrider100, 11 April 2018 - 09:34 AM.

• SadExchange likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11310 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Every main quest mission in Far Cry 5 is essentially just throwing waves of enemies at you.  None are particularly difficult on their own, but apparently it's the best way to make it challenging by sending in 100 against you.

wolfrider100

wolfrider100

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • Steam:wolfrider300

Tower of Time just come out yesterday and I have to say I been enjoying it, I been wanting a good classic RPG.

Also there's no exp gained through kills, to get stronger you instead level your party up through a upgradeable city,

EDIT: Game mainly takes place in a tower that your party explores floor by floor. Your main goal is to reach the final

floor, killing any enemies you meet that get in your way.

Edited by wolfrider100, 13 April 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7517 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

I'm also liking Tower of Time, in the limited time I've had with it so far.  The combat feels pretty good.  It's RTwSSM (Real Time with Super Slo-Mo) but you can change that to RTwP if you prefer.  Even early in the game when you only have 2 characters and limited abilities at your disposal it feels nice and tactical, with positioning playing a big part.  I've been playing on normal difficulty, but I think I'm going to restart on hard (you can change in the middle of the campaign too).  One thing I'm not thrilled about is the combat taking place in a separate instance than your exploring, much like classic jRPGs.  I would have preferred the combat took place on the same map you explore on, it would allow me to try to pull enemies and set up ambushes before the battle had even begun.  It's a minor gripe, though.

• wolfrider100 likes this

Katphood

Katphood

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Continuing my Yakuza 0 playthrough. 

The game keeps surprising me with interesting side-quests. If you want good storytelling, this is your game. There is a lot to do and see though so I am taking my sweet time.

• Mamoulian War likes this

LadyCrimson

LadyCrimson

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 9127 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

^ Taking one's sweet time through a game is the only way I play. :D

...I'm mid-Chapt. 7 in my PC run of FFXV. It's progress I suppose. Later chapters go faster and faster since they get linear, only a couple more chapters and the rest will be speedy.

Discovered using Ansel overmuch appears to supersede Prompto's auto-photo taking feature - he won't take/get any photos during any time when one is spamming the Ansel hotkey every second, for example. Ansel takes precedence/stops the game from taking its own pictures I guess. This includes Prompto's scripted photo "tours" - where he's supposed to take pics and show you the 3 results. Instead I got only one and it was a close up instead of the supposed to be far range (Ansel was set to a close range, guess the game took its cue from that). Haha. Good thing I don't care.

• Katphood and wolfrider100 like this

Starwars

Starwars

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3209 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Replaying PoE in preparation for Deadfire. Just completed the first part of the White March. Really love the expansion content, it's great.

Also replaying Curse of Monkey Island which is... just an awesome adventure game. Hadn't played it in like forever, such a blast from the past. And the music, my god, the music. It's soo good.

• Malcador likes this

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11310 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

So remember when I said I hated the driving missions in Far Cry 5?  Yeah, those don't even compare to the stupid that is the flying missions.

I just finished the "boss fight" one from the first area where you have to shoot down a plane.  I couldn't even figure out how to turn the thing to keep track of him.  I actually finished the mission, but even now I have no clue how I took down his plane.  I think I crashed into it (he strafed me as I pulled up on the joystick) and that was enough to force him to parachute out, because I didn't even get a chance to shoot at him since I could never turn to face him.

Did the developers not even bother to do beta testing and ask "are the driving/flying mechanics fun?"?

Keyrock

Keyrock

Obsidian Order Rodent Tamer

• Members
  • 7517 posts
  • Steam:Keyrock
  • PSN Portable ID:Unfrozen_Keyrock

Did the developers not even bother to do beta testing... ?

These days they call it "early access" and you get to pay the developers for the privilege of beta testing the game for them.

• Katphood likes this

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2386 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Did the developers not even bother to do beta testing and ask "are the driving/flying mechanics fun?"?

Just out of curiosity, are you using M+K or a gamepad?

GhostofAnakin

GhostofAnakin

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 11310 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Just out of curiosity, are you using M+K or a gamepad?

PS4, so gamepad.

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 985 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Tower of Time just managed to do something I haven't seen in a very long time. It crashed and took Windows with it. I mean terribly made games have been crashing to desktop every now and then (yes Bioware, looking at you here) but the OS hasn't gone poof like Francis in a long while.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

While Shadowrun Returns was more of a proof of concept, Dragonfall was a pretty good game. Hong Kong is somewhere in between. So far, I'm not feeling it nearly as much as Dragonfall, but it is definitely not as bland as the first game one.

The principal problems (of all SR games) are a lack of interactivity, dearth of side quests, transparency of mechanics (the structure of the game is too obvious and rigid) and linearity. They just don't seem to have the budget to make a 'great' game. 

Also, I'm playing on hard, I don't really fully understand the system, but I'm still easily winning most encounters. Not gud form. 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 14 April 2018 - 05:06 AM.

• Labadal likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Trying out Wildlands (free weekend on Steam) plus it's Ubisoft so, I know it will be good :)

I've also had the sneaking urge to play Shovel Knight (haven't really dug into the Plague Knight campaign, perhaps it is time).

Edit: Wildlands is pretty disappointing lol Just played a bit and uninstalled it...

Shovel Knight it is.

Edited by SonicMage117, 14 April 2018 - 01:25 PM.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5357 posts

Shadowrun: Hong Kong

While Shadowrun Returns was more of a proof of concept, Dragonfall was a pretty good game. Hong Kong is somewhere in between. So far, I'm not feeling it nearly as much as Dragonfall, but it is definitely not as bland as the first game one.

The principal problems (of all SR games) are a lack of interactivity, dearth of side quests, transparency of mechanics (the structure of the game is too obvious and rigid) and linearity. They just don't seem to have the budget to make a 'great' game. 

Also, I'm playing on hard, I don't really fully understand the system, but I'm still easily winning most encounters. Not gud form. 

I don't think they ever meant to go toe to toe with, say, Larian. They are seriously linear games, and their strengths are mostly narrative: the writing, the setting, and the atmosphere. There isn't all that much C&C, you barely get to develop party members, and combat is bare-bones at best.

Remember that Dragonfall was originally developed as a DLC for Shadowrun Returns, after the unexpected success of the game. I don't think they actually had the systems in place to make a "proper" PC RPG, with all the features old timers like us would expect in a title by Obsidian, for instance. I think Battletech will give us a better idea of what they are actually capable of, systems-wise, when they have a proper budget to work with.

That being said, if you liked Dragonfall and Hong Kong, I would strongly recommend you try The Caldecott Caper and CalFree in Chains. Superb user generated content, which gives the original HBS campaigns a run for their money.

Edit: Wildlands is pretty disappointing lol Just played a bit and uninstalled it...

Co-op rule. It's basically a more unforgiving GTA in a jungle setting, with some "military shooter" touches thrown in for good measure. I don't think I'd play it solo, but in co-op it's a blast. We'll probably purchase it after the trial weekend ends, it's so good.

• Malcador likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users