What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

Uncovering hints about citizens still nets you a bit of xp so you're still inclined to get to know them.

I... got suck in Sean Hampton's mission. Ran ahead to explore and unlock the door that leads back to the entrance then talked with the NPCs. The leader announced that she locked the entrance and unlocked the exit for me, which cause the exit to become locked again. So there's two unuseable doors and no earlier save I can turn to. Bleh.

In addition to Higurashi, which is consistently freaking me out with foreshadowing as I wait for the shoe to drop, I'm also playing a bit of Just Cause 3. I'm not feeling like it's doing anything interesting over what Just Cause 2 had. But I can waste an hour at a time with it for some brain dead flying around in a helicopter.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Fallout 4 is available on Xbox Game Pass so I'm playing that with mods. Looks a wee bit better on the 1X compared to the PS4 version. It's a bit of a bummer that mods disable achievements/trophies. It's still fun to try out mods though, the PS4 version doesn't really allow external assets so the mods are pretty limited there.

I wonder if I'll ever build myself another PC. :/

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Fallout 4 is available on Xbox Game Pass so I'm playing that with mods. Looks a wee bit better on the 1X compared to the PS4 version. It's a bit of a bummer that mods disable achievements/trophies. It's still fun to try out mods though, the PS4 version doesn't really allow external assets so the mods are pretty limited there.

I wonder if I'll ever build myself another PC. :/

If you want to really mod Fallout 4 you really should (on that note, there's a mod that re-enables achievements...requires a dll so no go on consoles). Doesn't even need to be that powerful, the core of mine is still a first gen i7 and it handles pretty much everything just fine. Just loading times suffer a bit here and there (might also be due to lack of SSD).

True. Downloaded the wrong mod and had to delete all of the other mods because the game would suddenly freeze. Now I am downloading the mods again and hoping that one of them won't crash the game. It is clear that consoles were not meant for modding. I need a new shiny PC but I am broke as hell for now. Maybe in a year or so...

Playing New Vegas again.  This time I'm aiming to join the Legion but up until meeting Caesar the game doesn't really give you many ideological reasons to do so.  I'm finding it hard not to be my same old helpful self as I quest my way around the Mojave but I'm determined for my character to have some sort of revelation along the way.

From a gameplay perspective I'm finally starting to feel the age of the engine.  Fallout 4 might be a giant sucking wound as far as RPG mechanics but it is a far more enjoyable ride in the moment.

• Like 1

I tried to join the legion two times, but I always end up with the NCR anyway.

Yeah I've been meaning to try it for years but I never managed it.  This time around I'm determined, even if it does feel like going against the grain.

Same. I think the first meeting with Vulpes Inculta has left too big of an impression on me to ever consider joining the Legion.

The problem is, there is just not enough sympathetic legion content until much later in the game, when it usually is already too late to bother anymore. All the legion stuff you see at first are either atrocities (Vulpes Inculta) or a douche waffle (the prisoner in Camp McCarran). Sabotaging the monorail is interesting, but you still haven't experienced a *real* reason of why you should do this, except "hurr durr". Cass talks about how the legion is not a that bad thing, but it's just one dialog and you can easily miss it, depending on how far you are in the game.

If there would be at least one legion quest in the beginning that lets you feel something positive and more or less humane, I bet it would get a lot easier for me and other folks to consider helping them at all.

/edit: As an example, the powder ganger prisoners a bit after Nipton. You can either free them with killing the legion soldiers, which automatically moves you closer to anti-legion right from the beginning, or you just ignore them, which sucks. If this quest would be expanded with other solutions, it would not just add more options, but also draw you in a little closer to the legion. I think this is a big missed opportunity.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I could never take the Legion seriously after Nipton and Vulpes Inculta telling you what they did to the town.  If you say their crimes are unforgivable, then Vulpes says "As are all crimes. If you feel strongly about it, attack us, and soon you won't feel a thing."  And then you attack him and kill him and all the Legion that becomes hostile, and then Ceasars legion is all huffy about it, but the dude TOLD me to attack him, I can't help it if he and his losers were too weak to stand up to me (and isn't your philosophy halfway to 'might makes right' anyhow, so why doesn't MY might make me right)?

:p

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The story/gameworld never gave me a convincing reason to side with the Legion.  Only time I did, it was because I forced myself for no other reason than to see how things play out.

I think if there's one complaint I have about that game, it's that.  Unless forced to do so, it just makes more logical sense (from an in-game perspective) to side with the NCR or do your own thing with one of the other minor bands.

• Like 3

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Added 'Modern Firearms(Tactical Edition)' mod and it equips raiders with a range of modern machine guns and assault rifles which are much stronger than the base weapons in Fallout 4. As a result, the raiders can usually kill me with 2-3 shots if they spot me. It makes the game quite immersive actually.

On that note, I wish games (singleplayer shooters especially) had difficulty settings more like Metro 2033's, where playing on the hardest difficulty means both the players and enemies have like no HP and die in only a couple of shots.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

On that note, I wish games (singleplayer shooters especially) had difficulty settings more like Metro 2033's, where playing on the hardest difficulty means both the players and enemies have like no HP and die in only a couple of shots.

The first game that introduced me to this concept was Rogue Spear. Enemies would die with a single shot to the head or 2 shots to the chest, but so would you.

• Like 1

The first game that introduced me to this concept was Rogue Spear. Enemies would die with a single shot to the head or 2 shots to the chest, but so would you.

i used to play the original operation flashpoint for that reason. loved long distance shooting with the manual optics of a dragunov svd.

• Like 1

Yesterday, upon the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today, I wish, I wish he'd go away... -Hughes Mearns

Think I am done with Overwatch, as a Youtuber put it I find fun matches are just a rare reprieve from a never ending darkness.  Every match of late deals with throwers, raging people and invariably defeat as I try to fill roles I suck at :lol:

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

And that's why I never play team-based multiplayer games anymore unless I already have people (i.e. friends) to play with that aren't terrible, :p. Online gaming - for virtually every game - has just gotten sooooo incredibly toxic and awful that I cannot stomach trying to be teammates with random strangers. It's a shame, too, since there are still some pretty decent people out there...but there are just too many not. Older games where the community is smaller and more tight-knit can be an exception, but anything even remotely newer can almost always go straight into the trash can.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

I played a game yesterday that I'm literally not allowed to tell you about. But I am allowed to puff my chest out and feel a bit superior for having the secret.

I'm still not at the part of Higurashi where things are worse than merely foreshadowed. And I find myself browsing my backlog for something that's easy to drop in and out of for some quick action. Coming up short. Maybe I'll look for something in the Steam sale.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think S.T.A.L.K.E.R. already worked this way. Ironically it's one of the things that actually made the game easier on harder difficulties...

My clanmates in Warframe tolerated me during an Eildolon (actually a Tridolon) hunt. It's funny how even with 5 years worth of gear there's still stuff I lack the proper equipment for to perform really well (lack of experience obviously didn't help any either ;))

• Like 1

I vastly prefer bad players who are good people vs. good players who are bad people. This applies to even non-team-based games like Mario Party - spoilsports can really ruin what should be a competitive yet lighthearted atmosphere. Good company is way more important than how skilled somebody is with the exception of playing at the professional level - which none of us are, so let's try to have fun, shall we?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 4