What are you playing right now?

Rosbjerg

When I'm not playing that, Persona 3 and White Knight Chronicles get some play time. Also, several adventure games when I want to just play short sessions.

Persona 3 is a wonderful, wonderful game. Easily one of my favorite RPGs of all time.

Mass Destruction may or may not have something to do with it.

• Like 1

Tried Secret World, felt like my character was a complete doormat, quit. I mean, you're a complete doormat in WoW too, but Secret World is meant to be character driven, so it felt like the mute player character with zero agency completely defeated the point of the game.

A whole lot of MMO games and even rpgs go for the doormat thing because you can't have an entire server playing as Geralt of Rivia or Commander Shephard. Even older rpgs use a blank/mute character with little to no text because most of the times, your actions will determine the outcome of an event or a quest.

Dialogue trees and voice acting are nice things to have in a rpg, but a MMO...

Also, as far as I know, TSW always aimed for a story driven MMO and it pretty much achieves that since most quests turned out to be a little more than a simple fetch quest. A lot of quests involved puzzle solving to the point where the game offers you its own mini browser so you can check the internet for clues.

I just wish the gameplay was a bit more action oriented.

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

SWTOR is completely voiced and has a dialogue wheel but most of the choices are just small variations that lead to the same end. When the game was in beta some of the choices had more meaning but people didn't like that you could gimp yourself by losing companions because they all had specific MMO trinity roles back then. Now any companion can have any role and you can kill or otherwise lose companions in the expansions but really all it has meant is that any character that can die or be passed over has little to no role going forward.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

SWTOR is completely voiced and has a dialogue wheel but most of the choices are just small variations that lead to the same end. When the game was in beta some of the choices had more meaning but people didn't like that you could gimp yourself by losing companions because they all had specific MMO trinity roles back then. Now any companion can have any role and you can kill or otherwise lose companions in the expansions but really all it has meant is that any character that can die or be passed over has little to no role going forward.

It would've been better if there was a KOTOR 3 instead of SWTOR.

• Like 2

The Secret World has, by far, the best writing and most interesting world of any MMO I've ever played, but, as mentioned, the gameplay and combat are abysmal.  TERA has, by far, the best MMO combat I've ever experienced, but the world, characters, and quests are all super boring.  Also, that game is just creepy with the whole loli thing.  If we could just get the combat design team from TERA and the writing and world design team from TSW together and get them drunk...

As an aside, did anyone here ever try that Russian MMO that Obsidian worked or consulted on or whatever they did?  I think it's called Skyforge.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

The Secret World has, by far, the best writing and most interesting world of any MMO I've ever played, but, as mentioned, the gameplay and combat are abysmal.  TERA has, by far, the best MMO combat I've ever experienced, but the world, characters, and quests are all super boring.  Also, that game is just creepy with the whole loli thing.  If we could just get the combat design team from TERA and the writing and world design team from TSW together and get them drunk...

As an aside, did anyone here ever try that Russian MMO that Obsidian worked or consulted on or whatever they did?  I think it's called Skyforge.

Man, that takes me back. I remember when I was hunting online for any MMOs to play. Those were the days. All of them looked interesting. I could play none of them though.

I forgot all about that game but looking it up reveals its made by the same company that makes a mobile game that's currently consuming me: Hawk Freedom Squadron!

Played some more KotOR and made my way to the lower parts of the city while being diguised as a sith trooper. It is a very rewarding experience if you miss early/mid 2000's rpg.

KotOR is among the famous games that I never got to play earlier. Games you probably wouldn't believe I haven't played yet:

Baldur's Gate 1&2

Icewind Dale 1&2

Fallout: Tactics

Jade Empire

Neverwinter Nights 1&2

Diablo 1&2

Dungeon Keeper 1&2

Jagged Alliance 1&2

Oh...the shame!

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Afaiu they only worked on the art. Skyforge, it feels to me, is kind of a mish-mash of European and Asian MMO styles. It uses a combination of maps that feel like "regular" MMO maps where you progress through quests pretty much like a regular MMO, except that these are repeatable. Story parts also take you through these. The other part are instanced missions that you grind over and over again (and which scale, the open world maps don't). Initially it had a relatively interesting storyline and progression system, both were however scrapped at some point for whatever reason.

The story was still just gone last I checked and the skill tree has been replaced by grinding events for currency like things that you can buy bonuses with or something shallow like that.

The combat was pretty fun and the different classes did actually feel different enough form eachother. I did "ascend" last I logged in which opens a lot more possibilities combat wise (you get to switch between other class' abilities and stuff) that I didn't really play with (you start as an "Immortal" and your aspiration is to become a full fledged "God" btw)

I feel the game leans more towards the Asian grinder than the Western MMO in the end. Ultimately I felt that game got way too repetitive way too soon and when I last logged in it seemed like the monetization had become very aggressive as well so that second time didn't last long at all.

Unrelated: I tried TERA and I didn't get what the praise for its combat system was all about, I think Guild Wars 2 has a better action oriented combat to be honest.

Edited by marelooke

How are you gonna spend the rest of your day?

See, this isn't my first playthrough, so I was prepared. I tricked the game and played at night, just before midnight. So there wasn't any rest of the day to worry about!

Edited by melkathi
  • Like 4

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Skyforge is off to a less than brilliant start.  The character creator is fairly mediocre.  On the plus side, the game did allow me to make a fat character.  It's sadly a rarity when a game allows you to make a character outside of the 2 normal video game body types: Muscular and lean.  On the negative side, I can't make a bald character.  How do you have a dozen different hair styles to chose from and not a single one of them is bald?   What kind of crap is that?  Anyway, you get a few presets to start you off then you can fine tune the settings, and by fine tune I mean make very small adjustments that make very little difference.

The story is that I just found out that I'm immortal (convenient for any video game where you will wind up respawning a lot) and that there are monsters attacking everywhere because reasons.  Yawn.  Also, the way some of the characters' lips move when they speak makes Mass Effect: Andromeda's facial movement tech seem state of the art by comparison.

Edit: After finishing the first tutorial island (it was literally a kill a bunch of rats quest, I'm not even kidding) and being transported back to the hub I was greeted with a screen giving me the option to buy stuff (with real money).  I get that this game is f2p and they need to make money somehow and that microtransactions are going to exist, but you can be a little more subtle about your real money storefront and not literally thrust it in my face.  :rolleyes:

I'll probably be uninstalling this soon.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

How are you gonna spend the rest of your day?

See, this isn't my first playthrough, so I was prepared. I tricked the game and played at night, just before midnight. So there wasn't any rest of the day to worry about!

You should have watched a video. Or pushed refresh and started again.

• Like 2

Skyforge is off to a less than brilliant start. The character creator is fairly mediocre. On the plus side, the game did allow me to make a fat character. It's sadly a rarity when a game allows you to make a character outside of the 2 normal video game body types: Muscular and lean. On the negative side, I can't make a bald character. How do you have a dozen different hair styles to chose from and not a single one of them is bald? What kind of crap is that? Anyway, you get a few presets to start you off then you can fine tune the settings, and by fine tune I mean make very small adjustments that make very little difference.

The story is that I just found out that I'm immortal (convenient for any video game where you will wind up respawning a lot) and that there are monsters attacking everywhere because reasons. Yawn. Also, the way some of the characters' lips move when they speak makes Mass Effect: Andromeda's facial movement tech seem state of the art by comparison.

Edit: After finishing the first tutorial island (it was literally a kill a bunch of rats quest, I'm not even kidding) and being transported back to the hub I was greeted with a screen giving me the option to buy stuff (with real money). I get that this game is f2p and they need to make money somehow and that microtransactions are going to exist, but you can be a little more subtle about your real money storefront and not literally thrust it in my face. :rolleyes:

I'll probably be uninstalling this soon.

Maybe Skyforge is set in universe, where alopecia has been completelly swept out. You can never know for sure. Have you read complete lore behind the game?

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

Going to repley VtMB, any tips for mods?

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

So GoG version is not patched correctly?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"