The mods here seem pretty fair so I'm genuinely curious.

I have to agree. Even if some of the posts here are obvious trolling attempts (And I am not talking about you, Sonic. Even if in my opinion you are always dancing on the edge and sometimes maybe a bit on the other side of it), banning those users or erasing their posts would only help to convince them, that they are an "oppressed minority", maybe that actually would be the case. The mods take care that no insults take place and useful posts don't derail to much. That is their job and they do it good.

It is us our responsibility to deal with that kind of behavior. A troll can't troll without our help. Most of us are grown up, reasonable persons and should be kind of role models. Even if I don't always live up to my own standards, I am convinced that we should try.

• Like 3

---

We're all doomed

Got it. Thank you both.

I thought it was towards me and members eho people deem similar to me in method of posting. No clue what happened long ago with Josh or how long ago that was but safe to say he made the right decision to go to a more personally controlled space where there is more outreach (Twitter & Tumblr) will ensure more variety of members than the forums here so the responses will be more fairer and widespread I suppose. Josh is smart man lol

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I have to agree. Even if some of the posts here are obvious trolling attempts (And I am not talking about you, Sonic. Even if in my opinion you are always dancing on the edge and sometimes maybe a bit on the other side of it), banning those users or erasing their posts would only help to convince them, that they are an "oppressed minority", maybe that actually would be the case. The mods take care that no insults take place and useful posts don't derail to much. That is their job and they do it good.

It is us our responsibility to deal with that kind of behavior. A troll can't troll without our help. Most of us are grown up, reasonable persons and should be kind of role models. Even if I don't always live up to my own standards, I am convinced that we should try.

I want to clarify that I find the forum environment as of right now pretty ok. If the devs came back today I don't think anyone would start hurling feces as them.

But that can change and that is where the mods would need to step in. Cause it is a fact it derailed some time ago to the extent that basically every developer left. And I'm not only talking about Josh. There were plenty of others posting here too and it would be nice to see them back (along with all the new faces too of course).

• Like 4

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

types of threads and posts that made the devs evade this forum

Can anyone post a link to an example? I wasn't really active at that time and have no idea what happened there.

I want to clarify that I find the forum environment as of right now pretty ok. If the devs came back today I don't think anyone would start hurling feces as them.

But that can change and that is where the mods would need to step in. Cause it is a fact it derailed some time ago to the extent that basically every developer left. And I'm not only talking about Josh. There were plenty of others posting here too and it would be nice to see them back (along with all the new faces too of course).

Maybe if we send them a nice letter? But don't you think, the same thing would happen again. If people notice that the devs post here, that would bring the freaks back, I think. You could try to control them, but the nice discussion culture in here would be gone.

Edited by Lord_Mord
  • Like 1

---

We're all doomed

Can anyone post a link to an example? I wasn't really active at that time and have no idea what happened there.

I don't have any examples on the top of my head I'm afraid. And it would really be the devs who should say it was this and that thread (or certain posts perhaps).

Maybe if we send them a nice letter? But don't you think, the same thing would happen again. If people notice that the devs post here, that would bring the freaks back, I think. You could try to control them, but the nice discussion culture in here would be gone.

That is the point I'm trying to make. When/if the freaks crawl back, the mods have to take a stricter approach.

I can't guarantee it will work, but it would sure be worth a try in my opinion. The devs might think otherwise of course.

Edited by Mannock

I would be curious to see what would happen if someone (or multiple members for that fact) wrote Josh a love letter asking him to return to the Obsidian Forum threads. Would we get a response? Could we have the power to bring him back? Very curious indeed.

• Like 4

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I would be curious to see what would happen if someone (or multiple members for that fact) wrote Josh a love letter asking him to return to the Obsidian Forum threads. Would we get a response? Could we have the power to bring him back? Very curious indeed.

This is my favorite post of yours yet. After the game launches it would be fun to get a Q&A/AMA with the team.

• Like 1

There is no good reason for Sawyer (or any other Obsidian Dev) to post on the forums, especially right now.

The game launches in a month, this is serious crunch time and they need to focus.

Social media and such gets more and more exposure every day, and it is way easier to police a twitter feed than a web forum.

Cold, but true, there is no real evidence to indicate a Dev interacting on the forum is actually helpful to the Dev in any way.  Sure it is good public relations, but they have a community management team that is very good at that already.  Let them do their jobs, let the dev focus on development.

As for why stop posting?  Daily spam about how basic principles of Eternity should be changed because "it isn't like Baldur's Gate", or "But in Baldur's Gate they did it this way", or "In D&D it would work this way".  Basic principles being things like energy meters, no save or die stuff, complete overhauls of the health system, etc etc.

That 50 page diatribe on the release day of pillars blasting it and calling it a 1/10 game and one of the worst isometric RPG's ever from an RPG Codex member didn't help much either.  Trust me, they made this community suck in the months leading up to Eternity's launch, we are fortunate they decided to "boycott" Deadfire.

• Like 9

I was thinking they could do a little debrief with their forum once the game has been launched and they are breathing again. Course right after launch plenty of people will be chiming in with balance issues, so I guess the work is never really done.

There is no good reason for Sawyer (or any other Obsidian Dev) to post on the forums, especially right now.

The game launches in a month, this is serious crunch time and they need to focus.

I don't think anyone was advocating that the devs prioritize this forum in front of completing Deadfire. So kinda pointless argument on your behalf.

Social media and such gets more and more exposure every day, and it is way easier to police a twitter feed than a web forum.

Cold, but true, there is no real evidence to indicate a Dev interacting on the forum is actually helpful to the Dev in any way.  Sure it is good public relations, but they have a community management team that is very good at that already.  Let them do their jobs, let the dev focus on development.

That I can agree upon. Twitter probably gets more exposure than this forum and as such is smarter to focus on from a PR standpoint (though I'm not sure what you mean by police twitter, it's not like they can delete or moderate other people's tweets). But it's not like they only focus on twitter.

Josh posts on Something awful, has his tumblr account and there's a lot of devs active on discord and twitter for example. So basically they are all over the place but not on their own forum.

So you say it has no benefit posting here, but somehow it does on a lot of other social platforms? It's contradictive.

Cause as you remember they did post here and yes, they did give up on it because of the hostility, not because it was pointless in itself. And hence why I advocate a sterner stance from the mods, so the devs feel just as comfortable posting here as they do on other platforms.

As for why stop posting?  Daily spam about how basic principles of Eternity should be changed because "it isn't like Baldur's Gate", or "But in Baldur's Gate they did it this way", or "In D&D it would work this way".  Basic principles being things like energy meters, no save or die stuff, complete overhauls of the health system, etc etc.

It's not like they would be forced to post in every thread. And back before PoE was released they posted in several different threads which was all informative and interesting. The point is; it has worked before, so why not again?

That 50 page diatribe on the release day of pillars blasting it and calling it a 1/10 game and one of the worst isometric RPG's ever from an RPG Codex member didn't help much either.  Trust me, they made this community suck in the months leading up to Eternity's launch, we are fortunate they decided to "boycott" Deadfire.

I know it sucked, I saw it myself. And that is a perfect case where the mods should have put the boot to the ass of the trolls.

• Like 1

So you say it has no benefit posting here, but somehow it does on a lot of other social platforms? It's contradictive.

It's not though, for the reason I said before. If the RPG Codex review poster had been moderated here (banned or otherwise) they would have gone back to Codex and started a narrative about how Obsidian is censoring criticism. If the same thing happened on SA they wouldn't have been able to make that argument, since SA isn't run by Obsidian.

As for social media, Twitter doesn't really support long discussions, you'll simply get people saying "PoE sucks" or similar; and Josh selects which questions to answer on his Tumblr account (if you ask a question it won't appear until he answers it, so he can simply not answer it if he doesn't want to).

It would be great for us if the devs interacted more with this community, but I don't think it's worth it for them.

• Like 2

It's not though, for the reason I said before. If the RPG Codex review poster had been moderated here (banned or otherwise) they would have gone back to Codex and started a narrative about how Obsidian is censoring criticism. If the same thing happened on SA they wouldn't have been able to make that argument, since SA isn't run by Obsidian.

As for social media, Twitter doesn't really support long discussions, you'll simply get people saying "PoE sucks" or similar; and Josh selects which questions to answer on his Tumblr account (if you ask a question it won't appear until he answers it, so he can simply not answer it if he doesn't want to).

It would be great for us if the devs interacted more with this community, but I don't think it's worth it for them.

I don't really see a problem if a handfull of people headed back to RPG Codex and bitched about censorship because they spew poison there all the time about basically ever new RPG that comes out anyway. So PoE would have been blasted on RPG Codex regardless of how some posters had been treated here.

• Like 2

You can start if you so like.

• Like 1

For real??!! That happened?!?! Oh, man, they were way more pathetic than I thought! :D

• Like 2

I've seen developers post on Something Awful (just Josh himself) and RPGcodex, and IMO, those places are a lot worse than the Obsidian forums.  Besides a few trolls, I don't think this place is all that bad.  Perhaps they just prefer other forums because of their own preferences?

But really, if you want to talk to some of the developers, just go the PoE discord.  They talk all the time over there.  

Edited by Bill Gates' Son

But really, if you want to talk to some of the developers, just go the PoE discord.  They talk all the time over there.

That is true, but I feel like it's a little bit of a matter of principle.

All other plattforms they interact on, they are in the hands of others (as far as rules and guidelines go), this is literally the only plattform which they own and can dictate the excact rules they want to work within. And this seems to have became the last place they want to touch (even though they seemingly lurk here). It's a shame.

Besides a few trolls, I don't think this place is all that bad.

Where are these trolls? I've been here since I backed the game and have never seen any trolls but I have seen people get classified as trolls just because a person doesn't like or agree with what they say (usually the case on the Internet anyway).