I'll be playing day one. I've never not played an Obsidian game day one lol. For whatever reason, I don't ever remember coming up to game breaking bugs day 1 and that includes New Vegas.

I can't wait to play Deadfire and will not deny myself the pleasure of such.

• Like 2

The only severe bug I had with PoE (which I pre-ordered and played at release day) was that thing where you couldn't leave Raedric's cellar anymore. I had to wait a few days until that got patched, then continued.

I will try the same with Deadfire - without any cellar-crashes I hope. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The only severe bug I had with PoE (which I pre-ordered and played at release day) was that thing where you couldn't leave Raedric's cellar anymore. I had to wait a few days until that got patched, then continued.

It probably took me longer to figure out how to get into Caed Nua... yes, the walking in by the front door part

• Like 2

It probably took me longer to figure out how to get into Caed Nua... yes, the walking in by the front door part
Did you struggle to find the entrance to the keep? I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.
  • Like 1

Did you struggle to find the entrance to the keep? I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.
How about the way to Twin Elms?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

How about the way to Twin Elms?

Interestingly I had no problems with that ^^

It took me a little time to figure out how to get post the outer curtain wall of Card Nua :lol:

That's the one I mean. :D

• Like 1

I knew who created this thread, before I read it. :)

I might have made this topic if I had thought of it and had not been so new to the forum. The game is likely to be messy and broken at launch because Pillars seemed to have been pretty broken at its launch.  The forums here tend to be too hero worship focused on Josh and Obsidian and not enough constructive criticism.

I might have made this topic if I had thought of it and had not been so new to the forum. The game is likely to be messy and broken at launch because Pillars seemed to have been pretty broken at its launch.  The forums here tend to be too hero worship focused on Josh and Obsidian and not enough constructive criticism.

If you want a biased insane opinion just go read RPG Codex.

There is not a lot of hero worship going on here.  Just people who actually played the first game on day one mentioning that despite all odds, he game was in fact playable on day one, and not suffering from hundreds of game wrecking bugs.

If stating that fact is hero worship I guess I am hero worshiping *shrug*

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 4

I've seen tons of constructive and not so constructive criticism over the last years. Especially from long time players.

And saying that Josh gets worshipped here... I guess Josh's pastrami sandwich will fallout of his mouth if he reads that. There's a reason why he's not posting here anymore.

No question PoE was plagued with lots of bugs at the start - and it still is. Most of them where/are not severe though but just an annoyance. With severe I mean that can't continue to play. So judging by that, game crushing bugs are no reason to wait with the first playthrough of Deadfire. Experiences of other players may differ.

And of course the question itself is a valid one. But I doubt you would have chosen the same thread title. Something like "Will you start playing at release day?" would have been most people's approach I guess. But that wouldn't have been Sonic. ;)

• Like 6

I've only heard rumors, but "in the old days" they had some rough stuff going on here - or so I heard/read.

One example:

Interesting... why does J.Sawyer post on somethingawful, but never appears on PoE official forums...

Couple reasons. 

1: The community here is a little too .... "passionate" if you get what I mean.  It can get very very negative at times, and bogged down in some seriously heinous long winded debates about the most anal details.  You know, like playing D&D or Warhammer with RPG nerds.

2: Something Awful is a far more "professional" site.  You have to pay for membership for example.  So it has a lot more people in the gaming (and other) industries in it.  It is policed VERY heavily, and typical forum troll behavior will get you permanently banned in a New York minute.  It is not your typical web forum basically, it really is a higher class of poster.

All that said Sawyer will still post here sometimes if a particular topic gets his attention and he wants to clarify, or if he sees something really cool he wants to give a nod to.  Just trust that Obsidian, and Sawyer by extension, are reading basically everything you post here about Deadfire.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

I've only heard rumors, but "in the old days" they had some rough stuff going on here - or so I heard/read.

One example:

Interesting... why does J.Sawyer post on somethingawful, but never appears on PoE official forums...

Couple reasons. 

1: The community here is a little too .... "passionate" if you get what I mean.  It can get very very negative at times, and bogged down in some seriously heinous long winded debates about the most anal details.  You know, like playing D&D or Warhammer with RPG nerds.

2: Something Awful is a far more "professional" site.  You have to pay for membership for example.  So it has a lot more people in the gaming (and other) industries in it.  It is policed VERY heavily, and typical forum troll behavior will get you permanently banned in a New York minute.  It is not your typical web forum basically, it really is a higher class of poster.

All that said Sawyer will still post here sometimes if a particular topic gets his attention and he wants to clarify, or if he sees something really cool he wants to give a nod to.  Just trust that Obsidian, and Sawyer by extension, are reading basically everything you post here about Deadfire.

Yeah, I remember during the pre-PoE days when there was much more interaction. I remember for example the thread about designing your item where Josh gave really great feedback and answered questions we item makers had. It was really nice.

It's a pity some things have derailed so much that the devs don't feel like posting on their own forum. Maybe the mods should put a tighter leash on trolls instead so we'd have a chance at getting the devs back here?

• Like 6

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Maybe the mods should put a tighter leash on trolls instead so we'd have a chance at getting the devs back here?

+1

• Like 4

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I've been plenty critical of the way Deadfire is going/has gone. I try (though probably fail) not to make it personal, so if it's hero worshipping not to "the devs are idiots for doing X" then I guess I'm a hero worshipper, but I'm not shy about criticising the changes to mechanics in Deadfire (armour/penetration, removal of per rest, resting mechanics, overly long recovery times and others). I've even stated, at least once, that in its current state I probably won't replay Deadfire anywhere near as much as I did PoE because it just doesn't appeal to me in the same way. No one has jumped on me for doing so.

Sonic gets a negative response not because this forum is full of rabid Obsidian fan boys, but because of the way he posts. This thread title is, as Boeroer says, the epitome of clickbait. In another thread he essentially said that Katrina Garsten's leaving was a sign that things were going badly for Deadfire's development: pure speculation stated as fact. People then point out that he's reading far too much into things and he responds with his standard persecuted newcomer speech. After a few threads like this, people lost patience with him.

Maybe the mods should put a tighter leash on trolls instead so we'd have a chance at getting the devs back here?

That would be great but I doubt it'll happen. This being the official Obsidian forums they have to be very careful with their moderating. If they ban a bunch of trolls say, they run the risk of the narrative being twisted into "games company censors criticism". I just don't think it's worth the risk for them.

• Like 4

I played PoE1 at realease day and I had to quit after some time. I was a victim of the infinite stat stacking bug. Every time you loaded your game all bonusses from equipment stacked with itself so I had insanely high stats and defensis and no enemy could touch me. This "god mode" was so boring that I quit. There were tons of other bugs too.

I played the game again with version 1.02 and I could finish it without facing game breacking bugs, but I did report tons of bugs there and also in later versions. Well, playing PoE version 3+ feels like a completely different game, it has gotten much better.

I was not a backer for PoE1. But the PoE2 beta was playable from the first version on. I did find tons of bugs but none of them prevented me from finishing the beta ( except being stuck in combat twice and the bug with saving on the world map, but those got fixed). The beta has gotten better with every update so maybe I can dare to play at release. Of course, the beta is only a very small part of the game and there will be tons of bugs in the other areas because thousands of players will find more things than a few devs. I will start playing another game now and when I finished this I will start PoE2.

Next question is if I should play it in german or english. The translation was terrible sometimes, but without people like me posting all that nonsense there would not be the very good translation mod we have now.

I like to play the GOTY ULTIMATE FINAL COMPLETE EDITION of a game and I do not mind playing old games, but I do not think I can wait that long in case of PoE2.

• Like 2

That would be great but I doubt it'll happen. This being the official Obsidian forums they have to be very careful with their moderating. If they ban a bunch of trolls say, they run the risk of the narrative being twisted into "games company censors criticism". I just don't think it's worth the risk for them.

Though on the other hand, what is such forum worth it it's so toxic that the devs dare not post themselves on it?

I think stricter mods are a possible thing if they wanted to.

• Like 1

Though on the other hand, what is such forum worth it it's so toxic that the devs dare not post themselves on it?

Good question. To an extent I think it's just expected that sufficiently large developers will have a forum. It's also difficult to get rid of it now that it exists for the same sort of reasons as moderating it more strictly.

I think stricter mods are a possible thing if they wanted to.

That's the thing though: do they want to?

By the way, I'm not disagreeing with you. I'd prefer a more strictly moderated experience too. 

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 2

There's a reason why he's not posting here anymore.

Wait, he used to post here? What happened? What rude chump doomed us to an eternity (no pun intended) of being ignored by the developers?

Josh quit posting here after the "in the infinity engine games" PIllars 1 backer clique was launching personal attacks against him (and other devs) because the game wasn't 1:1 copy of Icewind Dale or something. They the forums and returned to codex a little before launch when they realized this is not going to happen but the damage had already been done.

Edited by Sedrefilos

Eh..

What kind of "stricter mods" are you guys talking about? Ones that would delete any thread similar to this one just because you don't like the title or what it says? Give a warning point to those who disagree to something you disagree with or something. Ban members for getting reported or voted off by a majority of members over literally nothing except them not liking the said member. The mods here seem pretty fair so I'm genuinely curious.

Back in topic,

Admittedly I didn't get a chance to back PoE1 but I did pre-purchase the Steam version and did play it on release. I was lucky enough to not encounter any bugs on my playthrough but did experience the awkwatdness of major changes throughout due to a slum of large patches/updates. This is where my wisdom comes from.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Eh..

What kind of "stricter mods" are you guys talking about? Ones that would delete any thread similar to this one just because you don't like the title or what it says? Give a warning point to those who disagree with someone saying something you disagree with ir something. Ban members for getting reported or voted off by a majority of members over literally nothing except them not liking the said member. The mods here seem pretty fair so I'm genuinely curious.

I don't really understand what you mean.

We were talking about the types of threads and posts that made the devs evade this forum. I don't think you nor this thread are part of that, but only the devs know for certain.

The point is, the devs feeling comfortable posting here is more important than certain individuals posting whatever crap they want in the name of trolling or whatever (and no, this isn't directed specifically at you, SonicMage117).

• Like 2