I had no issues playing POE1 on release, so I'm going to do the same for Deadfire...as I do for every game I get on release.

I played POE1 on release and again post 3.0 and I can't say I saw a big difference between the two. I think people have gotten way too hung up on bugs and balance these days that they fail to see that it barely affect them when they are playing.

• Like 5

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

wait for no bugs = never play a game

Certainly true for PoE.

Certainly true for most RPGs. Bethesda is releasing Skyrim for the 27th time and it's still a buggy mess.
I never could finish Skyrim or Skyrim Special Edition, sadly.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

One month won't be enough wait to play the final product. That'll be after every dlc. That said, I'm gonna play day 1 if real life don't mess this up. That's what I did with Pillars 1 and, tbh, I never encountered any bug or other gamebreaking experience. Of course I enjoyed the game more when I played the White March after more than a year since I finished the basic game but the initial experience was good nontheless.

Edit: also, SonicMage you're doing it again. An unreasonably provocative thread title.

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 6

Ugh, is this Fearmongering thread part II? Anyone saying here they won't play it day 1 until bugs are fixed is a big fat liar - you will not be able to hold on  :no:. Especially when everybody else will be playing and sharing their experiences, and you've waited for this game for so long...

Personally, I can't wait to experience the story and meet old buddies in POE2. Bug wise I think it will be quite playable judging by the last beta, that's all I need.

• Like 9

I can see waiting for that first, post-day-1 patch (if there is one) a few weeks or a month after launch I suppose (even if I couldn't wait myself) to get some of the immediate, rougher edges and bugs the community discovers off the table, but waiting longer than that is a recipe in not playing for ages. By the time the patches slow down we'll get word of that first DLC/Expansion, and then you'll think "well, I'll wait until that comes out!" and then "Well, I'll wait until IT gets patched and play it a few months later" and repeat until it's like 18 months later from the original release and you still haven't played.

I'm going to play the game a second time most likely right after my first play through to pick different companions and factions and overall decision points, so what I'll (personally) do is play at launch, be part of the zeitgeist and then when the first few patches have dropped dive in for a second play through. Same as every other big RPG that's ever come out.

I had no issues playing POE1 on release, so I'm going to do the same for Deadfire...as I do for every game I get on release.

I played POE1 on release and again post 3.0 and I can't say I saw a big difference between the two.

I'm not one to care too much about balance, I noticed the Enemy AI changes right away when I played through 3.0.  When it comes to combat, there is a huge amount of differences.

• Like 1

Ugh, is this Fearmongering thread part II? Anyone saying here they won't play it day 1 until bugs are fixed is a big fat liar - you will not be able to hold on :no:.

Well that's you but I think the game will be playable, definitely won't be at it's best though.

I can certainly understand your bitterness towards people who play the game before you but remember, everyone has the right to their own voice. This is especially why I emphasized at the beginning "I'm probably one of the few". If you are going to wait, I'd just recommend staying off the forums to avoid spoilers in general.

The few, the proud...

Anyway, thanks for your comment :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Unless the game literally has gamebreaking bugs, the truth is that I can't really give two craps about whether it will be balanced or whatever. I'm just looking forward to a fun game, and Deadfire looks to fit that bill.

All the balancing, the endless discussions, the patches that will surely come, is fine and dandy and will be good etc.

But I'm just gonna play the game and absorb the experience. And when the game comes out, I'm gonna avoid the "this game sucks", "this game is SJW", "the romances suck", "they sold out", "this is like Dragon Age II", "this developer said that!", "this is this and that" discussions and just play the game and form my own opinion of it. Just like the good ol' days.

That's a bit off-topic but yeah... take that internet!

Edited by Starwars
  • Like 2

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Pillars is the kind of game you keep coming back to due to quest decisions, party compositions, and yeah, the things that have been updated improved, etc. Plus with expansions you'll likely want to do another play through...

I'll probably wait a little bit. With how much Josh keeps says, we might tweak this post-launch. We should add that post-launch. I think it'll be worth it to get a more fully realized game. Then the question becomes, can I avoid spoiling myself?

I'll probably be doing the same thing as last time, and coming in on day 1. PoE didn't really have too many bugs, and as I've returned to my second playthrough (with the WM xpacs and other changes) don't really change my experience. Obsidian has been around the block enough to release a fairly polished product on release day, I think. And while I appreciate some of the under the hood changes that they made since my last play session, I wouldn't have called the day one version 'broken' by any means. 

Also playing it on day one because...What other epic cRPG am I gonna play this year? *remembers that Pathfinder: Kingmaker comes out later* ....Uhh. I mean. In May.

Edit: also, SonicMage you're doing it again. An unreasonably provocative thread title.

Please don’t insinuate that he is concern trolling. He will have no other choice then to report you and have his own thread locked.
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Other than game breaking bugs and things the affect save files, I'm not to bothered by mechanical errata and bugs. Especially if they resolve from reloading. That said PoE benefited a lot of post launch patches, but some of that was even just quality of life features to the UI. Deadfire being a sequel I don't think it will be lacking too much on polish.

• Like 2

Well, I don't think bugs are something that are avoidable these days, so I don't blame Obsidian OR Bethesda for having buggy games especially when it comes to RPGs.

All I know is that when I first completed PoE, it was before all those major patches that fixed the game. Before White March I and II as well. My reaction to the game was kind of luke-warm. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either and didn't play it again until after white march part II came out.

Today, its one of my favorite games. So yes I'm waiting because according to my experience with PoE, patches do matter.

Edited by Celeras
  • Like 3

Yes!

Overall Deadfire is going to be huge, much much bigger than the first game in term of content and mechanics. I'm not sure if anyone realizes how much bigger and "more" it is than the first game.

With that in mind, I do believe that the patches will offer some greater changes than most believe. Some things will be missed for review to polish just because there is just so much goodness in the game.

It wil be weird for me personally, to play one day and then a patch to change things drastically the next. For that reason, I'm out but that's why this is the shark tank. We fans :)

I plan on waiting from what we know from the Beta, but maybe those things have changed. If they have changed casting times considerably I might not wait. If they have worked on the fringe classes like Barbarian, Druid, Monk, and Rogue, and made them more than situational novelties I might not wait. If the outright dislike of min maxing by the devs have not destroyed theory crafting from Deadfire, I might not wait.

I was never affected much by bugs, f.e. Skyrim or Fallout 4 were for me mainly bugfree from the start. Many bugs perhaps I even did not notice. No reason to delay.

The "forums war" is an important part of games, so waiting would mean you could not follow and judge about the rants and complaints starting right after release. Who would like to skip such amusement?

Lastly, I'm mildly hyped to play the game. Luckily I'm not in the beta, so I'm curious. I could even wait for a long time and ignore the new edition and meanwhile play PoE (which I started only recently), but the weather on the isles looks nicer, so I will jump to PoED on day one.

Edited by geala

Well... since it says "Started by SonicMage117, yesterday, 8:40am" that's not unbelievable :)

• Like 1

Well... since it says "Started by SonicMage117, yesterday, 8:40am" that's not unbelievable

I mean before I read that. The title was not aggressive enough for Alexis and not dumb clickbaity enough for master guardian.

Back to the topic: I think the most interesting part about PoE was to see how it changed over time. It was like being a beta tester without the crashes. Of course that is totally my personal preference. If I wouldn't like it, I would just wait a bit, but I like the opportunity to be part of it. Even if I don't give feedback myself, it helps to understand why certain changes are made.

• Like 1

---

We're all doomed