I may probably be one of the few but as a backer (with best interest for Obsidian in mind), BUT I've been considering to wait to play the game til after a few month post-launch.

There is no doubt for any of us - especially after all the news of last minute integral changes, that the launch will be a bit rough and there will be many bugs, balancing issues and optimization conflicts. To that respect, I must say, I'm willing to wait and eager to play the REAL finished product, I don't want my experience to be soiled within me breaches.

Thankfully, if I put all my chips on the table and decide to wait, I have a game or two to play whilist Obsidian does their magic :)

So, any other backers going to wait or thinking about waiting a couple months for after crucial patches/updates?

Doesn't seem illogical with all that is going on. Make no mistake, Pillars 1 is my all time favorite game and Deadfire is my most anticipated game if 2018, in fact I can't wait for this bit I don't want to be a fool and rush in to a wasteland - if ya know what I mean.

I'll raise you a glass here and now, here's to Deadfire, here's to upcoming fixes on everything that the game is and all of it's needs. We'll drink to the blue furby looking thing on the promo poster, cheers!

• Like 5

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

If you sit out the first few months you won't be able to participate in the balancing discussions. That was quite fun in PoE playing in each of the early versions and witnessing first hand what balance changes occurred.

This last Beta with the changes to single class - more abilities and the fixed monk unarmed damage give me an optimistic belief that balance will be pretty good.

• Like 12

No, I'm all in from the get go, day 1.

Reasons are:

1. I want to enjoy the story as blind as possible, and my interest in the game is such I would not be able to resist looking at reactions to the game which inevitably contain spoilers.

2. I am fairly bug tollerant. So long as there's a workaround, that's cool with me.

3. I trust Obsidian that any real gamebreakers that emerge will be hotfixed within hours. I can wait for that.

4. Balance issues there may well be, but I probabl;y won't find them first time through and anyway I'm mostly gonna be focussing on the story, the charcters, the new systems, the new environmanets. Balance can wait for subsequent playthoughs.

In short wild horses couldn't keep me away come May 8th or whatever.

• Like 4

I would say, if you have a willpower to do it, its always better to wait - preferably not only after a few months, but after all pieces DLC are released. I tend to be "Wait for GOTY" kind of guy. Unless I am really into the genre. Like PoE.

I will play on day 1 (or day 2 depending how downloading will go). Hopefully, the extra month will help in making the release smoother. As far as imbalance - I feel like it will probably take me a playthrough before I really start noticing those. I have a modest tolerance to bugs in RPGs.

• Like 1

I'll play day one no doubt. If you are concerned about balancing I think you really shouldn't considering that in another thread you said you would play on the easier side of the difficulty slider.

Edited by Daled

I'll play day one no doubt. If you are concerned about balancing I think you really shouldn't considering that in another thread you said you would play on the easier side of the difficulty slider.

To me, balancing doesn't have anything to do with difficulty but what should be and what feels right. Difficulty in Crpg's was never a problem for me but time is, I do not have the 100 hours to spend on an rpg (sadly).

This thread is moreorless about the whole package, I don't doubt that there will be big changes post launch because backers and non-backers alike will play it and not like something. I also do not doubt that Josh and team expect this will happen so will be prepared to answer with updates in reply.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I may probably be one of the few but as a backer (with best interest for Obsidian in mind), BUT I've been considering to wait to play the game til after a few month post-launch.

There is no doubt for any of us - especially after all the news of last minute integral changes, that the launch will be a bit rough and there will be many bugs, balancing issues and optimization conflicts. To that respect, I must say, I'm willing to wait and eager to play the REAL finished product, I don't want my experience to be soiled within me breaches.

Thankfully, if I put all my chips on the table and decide to wait, I have a game or two to play whilist Obsidian does their magic :)

So, any other backers going to wait or thinking about waiting a couple months for after crucial patches/updates?

Doesn't seem illogical with all that is going on. Make no mistake, Pillars 1 is my all time favorite game and Deadfire is my most anticipated game if 2018, in fact I can't wait for this bit I don't want to be a fool and rush in to a wasteland - if ya know what I mean.

I'll raise you a glass here and now, here's to Deadfire, here's to upcoming fixes on everything that the game is and all of it's needs. We'll drink to the blue furby looking thing on the promo poster, cheers!

The most recent beta patch is a drastic improvement --- pretty much every class and subclass is at least functional now.

There are still a fair number of bugs but they're mostly small bugs at this point -- broken text strings, etc. The biggest one I can think of is that the Pollaxe weapon has no weapon data right now.

There are still some major balance issues but they're mostly stuff that's overpowered, not underpowered, and it's possible to avoid that stuff by just not picking it -- don't play a nalpazca, etc. 

That said if you want to wait there's no harm in waiting, either. I think the game will be perfectly playable on release (I was worried before the last patch, I'm not worried now), but I don't think waiting is the worst thing in the world either. 

• Like 1

For me the delay is more of an attempt to fix Obsidian's reputation with buggy launches. I don't think too many integral changes were made. That being said, I don't have the beta so I cannot speak about balance :p.

• Like 1

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

(...) I don't have the beta so I cannot speak about balance :p.

There's still quite a lot of things - items, classes, abilities - that are objectively much better than others. There's fun to be had with many builds, but it could still be that your favored build or equipment won't give you a satisfactory experience.

• Like 1

If I wait for a week before I start the game, it would be impossible for me to avoid spoilers. So I'm gonna start playing as soon as it comes out.

Also I didn't really worry about bugs that much. I've played several "buggy mess" game before and never has as much bugs as people claim,most recently ME:A, where people claims there are tons of bugs, yet the only one I encounter in my first playthrough is a bug letting me romancing two people at the same time(there is a much worse bug in my NG+ though). Maybe I'm lucky, or I just don't like messing around in the game that much.

Also since I didn't plan to rearrange my vacation to play the game all day, I'd have only 3 to 4 hours max per day to play it. So I believe that when I get to half of the main story, there will be several patches to fix some of the bugs already.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 1

I'll start straight away because I want to experience the story and explore the Deadfire archipelago asap. I don't care all that much about bugs so long as (a) they aren't game breaking and (b) they eventually get fixed.

wait for no bugs = never play a game
  • Like 10

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I'm also waiting, same as I did for PoE 1 (waited until 3.0 for first playthrough).

At that point I couldn't avoid some spoilers because I was hyped as a little kid for the true spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate, so I looked up some stuff  :ermm: . But now I'm willing to keep myself blind storywise until at least the last patch before the first DLC.

It's about how much you are hyped and how much you think the patch improvements can make a real difference in your first experience of the game. I learned to never get as hyped as I did for PoE 1 (too much expectation) and as far as I remember the community mostly agreed that the game improved A LOT after the main patches (even making it playable for some).

Edited by LuccA

There is no doubt for any of us - especially after all the news of last minute integral changes, that the launch will be a bit rough and there will be many bugs, balancing issues and optimization conflicts.

Uh..... what?

No, there won't be a "ton of bugs" the delay in launch was in fact to fix bugs not make more.  Balance changes are easy to perform because the mechanics are based around universal modifiers and simple math, so making adjustments is fairly straight forward.  Also people looking at the backer beta as a sign of the finished product, OMG STOP IT.  The backer beta is versions behind where Obsidian is, just like the Eternity 1 backer beta was.  Many of the "bugs" or balance things you don't like were probably fixed a month + ago and they just aren't going to release it into the BB.

So, did Eternity 1 get a lot of changes to balance as time went on, and a couple bug fixes?  Yes.  Was Eternity 1 completely playable from start to finish on day one, and an enjoyable experience?  Yes.

If you are going to make yourself wait do as Wormerine said, wait for the expansions.  I will absolutely be playing it ASAP.

Also I don't know what the people who claim Eternity 1 was unplayable until patch 3.0 were smoking, but it must have been some seriously strong stuff.

Edited by Karkarov
  • Like 12

I like seeing the evolution and improvement of the game, so I'll be there from day one. 

I fully understand it if some people don't have the time to play through multiple times and they want to wait for the most complete and polished experience and that's fine, but for me PoE was perfectly playable and enjoyable at launch and from my experience with the Beta I expect the same for Deadfire. I think certain sentiments you see online about waiting a year till fully patched and such are disingenuous and an unfair characterization to paint it as though Obsidian does not provide a complete or working game at launch and that everyone, let alone those short of time, should wait until it's full patched to play. 

PoE was not perfect but few games are, and even fewer get the post launch support it got. I completed a playthrough after each major update/Expansion and really enjoyed seeing the changes and updates they brought. I never felt like I was playing a broken or incomplete game during any my playthroughs, only just an ever improving experience.

Edited by Enduin
  • Like 1

wait for no bugs = never play a game

Certainly true for PoE.

Certainly true for most RPGs. Bethesda is releasing Skyrim for the 27th time and it's still a buggy mess.

• Like 8

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."