How are you gentlemen.

We had a thread for building a "dark knight" type character the other day, how about a necromancer themed character? How would you go about that? I was thinking either chanter/mage or chanter/priest of Berath, with sneak to lurk in the shadows maybe. What do you think would work best? (In terms of theme and effectivity)

• Like 2

I actually had this thought pop into my head a few days ago. I think Chanter/Wizard would work pretty well, but my personal build would probably be Chanter/Druid, focusing on Decay spells (I hope Rot Skulls makes a comeback). Also with Druid you could spin rejuvenation magic as a form of necromancy as it artificially prolongs a creature's life. Priest of Berath doesn't really fit thematically as Berath prefers to keep dead things dead as I see it, undeath really messes with the whole cycle thing he's got going on.

• Like 2

I actually had this thought pop into my head a few days ago. I think Chanter/Wizard would work pretty well, but my personal build would probably be Chanter/Druid, focusing on Decay spells (I hope Rot Skulls makes a comeback). Also with Druid you could spin rejuvenation magic as a form of necromancy as it artificially prolongs a creature's life. Priest of Berath doesn't really fit thematically as Berath prefers to keep dead things dead as I see it, undeath really messes with the whole cycle thing he's got going on.

Yea, chanter/wizard or druid would work well. The spells the wizard would use would probably be Ninagauth's spells and also a pet Concelhaut :p.

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Priest of Berath gets Rot Skulls at higher levels. Also lets you wield the evil soulbound dagger from the beta.

Also: vessels in the lower left of Russetwood who worship Berath - "Champion of Berath" Raedric (vessel).

So Berath seems to have no problems with necromancy - just with people who prolong their lifespan unnaturally.

If a god has problems with vessels it seems to be Eothas (St. Ydwen's Redeemer...).

But whatever...

As Helig of Thein and others teach us: animancy is science but necromancy is magic. No idea where the difference is, but wizards seem to fit best thematically (see Concelhaut + apprentices).

Beckoner/Wizard with skeletons, Soft Winds of Death, later maybe Mith Fyr or Ancient Memory or the phrase that sickens (or weakens?), Concelhaut's spells (including staff), Kalakoth's Sunless Grasp (although ****ty), Thrust of Tattered Veils, Necrotic(!) Lance, Noxious Burst, Malignant Cloud and so on.

Alternative: Beckoner/Bleak Walker. Also lets you wield the soulbound dagger if I'm not mistaken and gives you Shared Flames and Zealous Auras which stacks with Mith Fyr for a great effect on the summons.

Other Alternative: Priest of Skaen. Revenge from the grave and all that. ;)

• Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

If a god has problems with vessels it seems to be Eothas (St. Ydwen's Redeemer...).

As far as I can tell the description of the Redeemer does not refer to Eothas at any point.

• Like 2

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

You are right. I totally forgot about the description itself and put St. Ydwen = St. Waidwen for obvious (but wrong) reasons. 

Well, the whole light, dawn, kindness and rebirth shebang still makes me think that he doesn't like "undead" at all (vessels who have to consume living flesh of kith for essence - like guls, fampyrs, darguls and the like). Funnily all priests burn vessels to death equally well with their "Holy Radiance"...

Berath just has too many followers in the game who are actually undead themselves. ;)

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the ideas guys. I agree that Berath is a little all over the place philosophically speaking --> Living for a long time is bad, but resurrecting your local tyrant lord as an undead champion is okay? The priest/chanter doesn't work too well anyway. Repeatedly buffing minions is a tedious playstyle, especially when they disappear in a few minutes anyway. 

Virtually everything else works, though. You can pretty much do whatever once you have a minion meat shield. Still miffed that the Beckoner summons midgets though. I would have preferred the opposite. Let the Beckoner summon one giant skeleton. That would be epic. 

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

Still miffed that the Beckoner summons midgets though. 

Ah yes, the necromancer shall be known from his infamous army of undead Orlans.

• Like 3

"People fear, not death, but having life taken from them. Many waste the life given to them, occupying themselves with things that do not matter. When the end comes, they say they did not have time enough to spend with loved ones, to fulfill dreams, to go on adventures they only talked about... But why should you fear death if you are happy with the life you have led, if you can look back on everything and say, 'Yes, I am content. It is enough.'" ~Wynne, Dragon age Origins

Thanks for the ideas guys. I agree that Berath is a little all over the place philosophically speaking --> Living for a long time is bad, but resurrecting your local tyrant lord as an undead champion is okay? The priest/chanter doesn't work too well anyway. Repeatedly buffing minions is a tedious playstyle, especially when they disappear in a few minutes anyway. 

Virtually everything else works, though. You can pretty much do whatever once you have a minion meat shield. Still miffed that the Beckoner summons midgets though. I would have preferred the opposite. Let the Beckoner summon one giant skeleton. That would be epic. 

Well, i don't think Berath had anything to do with Raedric coming back.

He came back as a Death Guard, with glowing eyes and all, and according to the bestiary it's the person's own determination is what brings them back. But being the Berath worshipping lunatic that he was, he might've just mistakenly attributed his return as the work of Berath (since Berath doesn't talk with its followers, if i remember correctly).

• Like 3