What do you want in DLCs ?

Simple.

Next month will be globally dedicated to bug fixing. And full game will be released. What do you want after that for DLC ?

Give what you want to improve or new things to add. References can be WM part 1 and 2 and things already known in BETA 4.

Here my list :

- No particularly more levels (12-16 in POE1). Good thing if it happened but not my first need if all 20 levels are well built.

- More class. Like +1 class (3 subclasses...) give already a ton of new combinations. (And I think no more, because it is already a great amount of work for base game...)

- One additionnal subclass for each class.

- For me it is better if DLC can be done after the first story. Like that, no problem with "when" to do that.

- I want new companions but extremely early. Same for all new weapons. (max 50 % of DLC) I have never upgrade unlabored blade for this reason. (laziness if only 2 hours remains...)

- A true difficulty. Kraken is cute, but... hum... So easy to kill...

- Give the opportunity to rebalance some stuff. Like, passives abilities... A general balancing.

- Return of 'grimoires with novel spells'.

And you ?

Yes it is soon, Full game is not yet released but guys, Obsidian start to thinking to that. It is forced. Nothing is random in a company. So, it is the good moment to give your expectations... : p

Edited by theBalthazar
  • Like 2

-A huge YES, PLEASE to more classes and subclasses and re-balancing and MOAR build options for every level-up!

-And yeah, good point on getting companions early (all of them, this time).

Otherwise:

-I don't mind a new game, like the NWN1 expansion, from level 1, in newish setting and all, with new monsters, locations, challenges and lore.

-So, almost like PoE 2.5 - very juicy expansion (instead of some dribble appendix in some corner of Deadfire).

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Want

- Expand the playable area of the world map with new areas to explore, including more optional content.

- More ships and crew members to acquire and new challenges to tackle with those things.

- New progression system to build on top of your levels. By this, I mean a new gameplay mechanic you build on throughout the expansion. Like how The Witcher 3 introduced Runewords and Mutations in it's expansions. It'd be best if this gameplay mechanic could wildly change how your character played by giving you really strange bonuses.

- More sidekicks.

- More pets.

- More loot.

- At least one super relaxed DLC where you get to just hang out and have fun.

- Most importantly, surprises. And I don't just mean narrative ones.

Don't Want

- New companions, there's no way they'll be integrated as well into the relationship system or main plot so introducing new ones is a bad idea. DLC companions are always inferior to companions integrated in the beginning.

- An overarching story between the DLCs or one that factors in to the core game's narrative, I'd rather DLCs stand on their own and tell stories that stand out from each other.

Edited by Novem
  • Like 4

I feel like this thread is premature, but in terms of "things I'd like to see that I suspect will need to come in a DLC"

1) improved ship battle minigame with wind direction, tacking, taking of prize ships, etc.

2) expanding the sidekicks into full companions with full companion quest lines etc

3) fishing and sea serpents as per the missed kickstart stretch goal

4) Increased class selection options for existing companions, including subclass options

5) if it doesn't exist in the base game, a blunderbuss or pistol or both that does non-Piercing damage type

• Like 5

I have the feeling we're to modest here, guys, with pretty much systemic details and content hundreds-and-thousands.

C'mon, think big. Give us the big visions and dreams! :biggrin:

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

-I like expansions that enrich base experience. Even some of the best stand-alone expansions tend to be lackluster IMO, unless it is a silly little addon which would get old after a longer while like Blood Dragon for FC3

-new classes and subclasses don't excite me terribly - there is enough in the game already that I won't be ever able to try out.

-WM style exp are always welcome. All for new quests, locations and stories.

-would like to see those Sea Monsters added, and additions to ship system - weather stuff they mentioned to have designed on paper and other stuff.

-new companions always welcome. I won't advocate for developing further sidekicks, until I play and see if I really want to interact in more detail with any of them.

-Hoping for a better resolve - if concertation thing wasn't possible due to technical reasons, it might be something worth looking into after release. Resolve just doesn't seem like a fun stat right now.

-more spells, more abilities, maybe some fancy code breaking spells (stop time? :-D)

• Like 2

Trinkets for all clases!

More solutions for quests (trying to absorb the hollowborn's souls is a big example i can think of right now)

In general expand abilities, items, subclasses (specially the ones that are missing like priest subclasses), one class or subrace maybe, ships, companions or sidekicks, escencially more of everything

A story that expands on the lore (Souls, animancy, gods, godlikes, the cycle, adra, watcher, magic classes, etc)

Edited by Piero

This is more of a broad thing, but I want to flesh out my character more story wise.

The Watcher never felt as personal to me as say, Gorion's Ward, so maybe a smaller more personal side story where we can explore things like our past lives or our background or something. Unless the game already does that of course.

• Like 1

I also like stuff that expands on the existing game, although I’d also welcome new content—I’m flexible like that ;)

- More levels. Don’t have to be many; just enough to unlock a new power level for single classes, and give multiclasses access to PL 8. It opens up more options for endgame builds.

- More talents, spells, powers, etc. especially on levels that have fewer. This includes passives (I’d love to see class- or subclass-specific passives but I realize it would be a metric ton of work.)

- Trinkets. They had to be cut from the base game but I thought they were an interesting idea.

- MOAR magic items. Can’t go wrong with those ;)

- New monsters (especially sea monsters), and boss-like fights (especially high-level ones so we can enjoy our endgame stuff.)

- Improved A.I. is always a welcome feature if/where possible.

The list takes for granted new areas and quests, obviously. It would be nice if companions got extra content each and extra interactions and interjections.

I wouldn’t mind one new companion provided that it was as content-rich and well-integrated as the original seven.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

- More levels. Don’t have to be many; just enough to unlock a new power level for single classes, and give multiclasses access to PL 8. It opens up more options for endgame builds.

Interresting. Like an item at 25 % of the DLC (a first well hard boss could drop that) which allow the player to unlock PL8 ?

I like the idea.

Edited by theBalthazar

Something akin to the White March but, ideally, after the end of the main campaign. That's all really.

This. The problem with the WM style expansion is, apart from scaling and balancing, that it takes you away from the main game and quest for too long, and it kinda feels weird jumping back into the suposedly important main quest to save yourself, after several weeks (or tens of hours in gaming time) of solving something else. I really like big side stories like this, but imo they should be set after the main game ends. 

Also, there will probably be more than one expansion, so one could be enriching the main game with some bits here and there, and one could add the whole new story seperate from the main game in a new area.

• Like 2

Something akin to the White March but, ideally, after the end of the main campaign. That's all really.

Agree with Jerek here (and many of the other suggestions). Bears repeating that White March 1 and 2 were awesome. I thought the companions were pretty underwhelming, but the DLCs on the whole ended up becoming the best part of the game.

• Like 1

-More mod support!

-A WM1/2 style expansion. (The White That Wends March 1/2?). Something that can take place after the main campaign would be fantastic- I loved the Blood and Wine expansion for TW3 because it was like a 20-hour epilogue.

I think in general the "substantive expansion" was the most popular back when Obsidian did that DLC survey.

More varied combat animations. Attack, block, dodge, stagger from a big hit, etc.

A few new weapon types and/or skins would be cool. Darts, blowguns, short swords, falchions, scimitars, tridents (just brainstorming). They have things pretty well covered already but why not throw in a few unusual variants that still fit the setting.

- A dwarven companion

- More subclasses, escpecially for priests

- Something set in the White That Wends or in a Island near there

- A Polpovir* pet, if it is not in the game yet

*From the in game book  "Monsters of the Deadfire Archipelago":

Polpovir

All the creatures you've read about in this book are nothing compared to the Polpovir. Barely the size of a man, what they lack in size and strength, they make up for in numbers and terrifying viciousness. Their lower halves are a mass of tentacles like an octopus or squid, but more numerous. The tentacles are long, black whips with suction cups on the underside and small thorny barbs on the top. The sheer number of tentacles gives them frightening speed when walking on land, pulling themselves forward almost as fast as a running horse. While they vaguely resemble a human from the waist up, any extended examination proves how wrong that assumption is. Long, stringy black hair falls from the top of their heads to cover a face taken directly from a nightmare. A wide, gaping mouth, cuts across the bottom of its head from ear to ear, full of wicked dagger-like teeth. Two large round eyes are sunken into its head, black as coal, shining with a malevolent fire. A small antenna protrudes from the middle of its forehead, ending in a small nodule that can glow with an eerie blue light. One can imagine a sailor on the deck of his ship at night, looking out across the black water, blood freezing as countless lights appear beneath the surface, rising toward him as the Polpovir swarm upward. Because they seem to be more octopus than man, they can collapse in on themselves, fitting into spaces no person should be able to. The smallest crack in a hull, the slightest separation between boards offers them entrance. It is not unknown for them to slaughter an entire crew from hold up to deck by infiltrating the ship from underneath. Fortunately they do not seem to have spread too far outside of the archipelago, but there may come a day when Polpovir attacks become commonplace.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

This is a great thread. I'm curious as to why it's in the Backer Beta forum though?

For my own answer it's pretty simple - 3 White March sized DLC's that add more companions, high level gameplay/content, and extend the level cap. 

But, one difference, I'd rather have 3 stand alone stories than a Part I, Part II, etc. type of deal like White March did. Or have only two of them be connected like that, maybe.

• Like 1