Soul annihilation damage is weird

dunehunter

Question

Damage shown in log is weird, I use it at 50 focus and the soul annihilation damage is 120, while I try it at 90 focus but the damage is 100? Both hit is not a graze or crit. The 90 focus one has same damage as it shown in detail page, but that 50 focus one is weird, either the log is wrong or there are some bug here.

6 answers to this question

Yeah, I also noticed occasional strangeness with the damage here. The damage popping up on the screen above the enemy and the stuff in the combat log sometimes seems to differ or to not add up (if that is even possible?).

Edited by M4xw0lf
  • Like 1

I have tested Soul Annihilation in beta3, and it was working like this:

- for example you have 30 focus, and use soul annihilation

- your attack connects and deals 40 phys dmg

- this phys damage is generating extra 10 focus (but you don't see it); because these 10 are added to 30 and instantly consumed

- the base raw damage dealt is calculated as follows: 10 + focus/2; or in out case: 10 + 40/2 = 30

- and this final value was modified by resolve

note: the base cost of 5 focus for Soul Annihilation wasn't affecting SA damage. Seems like it's purpose is just to make it impossible to use SA if your focus is below 5; as otherwise your could be adding 10 raw damage to every hit, by spamming SA without waiting to build focus.

I haven't tested it in beta4 yet, but I suppose it works the same way; and the focus generated from phys damage dealt on SA swing, adds to SA damage.

• Like 3

I have tested Soul Annihilation in beta3, and it was working like this:

- for example you have 30 focus, and use soul annihilation

- your attack connects and deals 40 phys dmg

- this phys damage is generating extra 10 focus (but you don't see it); because these 10 are added to 30 and instantly consumed

- the base raw damage dealt is calculated as follows: 10 + focus/2; or in out case: 10 + 40/2 = 30

- and this final value was modified by resolve

note: the base cost of 5 focus for Soul Annihilation wasn't affecting SA damage. Seems like it's purpose is just to make it impossible to use SA if your focus is below 5; as otherwise your could be adding 10 raw damage to every hit, by spamming SA without waiting to build focus.

I haven't tested it in beta4 yet, but I suppose it works the same way; and the focus generated from phys damage dealt on SA swing, adds to SA damage.

Ah I see, this might answer the case, so at 40 focus I did an attack with soul annihiation and it fills more focus, that’s why the damage of 40 focus SA is same as the max focus SA.

The combat log message for soul annihilation is indeed bugged. As per the image attached there is a discrepancy between the raw damage that is reflected in the combat log and the raw damage that appears temporarily on top of the creature that got hit.

In order to determine which one is correct I used two methods. The first was to use the ability against one of my other party members and then check how many hit points were deducted. The result was the the combat log information was the one incorrect. The second method was to determine the actual damage by looking at the character's record window at the "Total Damage Done" field and subtract the value pre-attack from the value post-attack. Again, the combat log information was the one incorrect.

That being said, I am not really able to find the exact formula for total raw damage. From my tests it looks like this: suppose that you start from 15 focus and use soul annihilation. The attack connects and generates 32 points of weapon damage which equates to an additional 32/2=16 points of focus (in the current beta focus generation has been doubled). In total, we now have 15+16=31 focus which will be dealt as raw damage. The problem with this method of determining the raw damage is that there are always 1-3 points of damage unaccounted for.

post-71826-0-75665900-1523805801_thumb.jpg

Edited by kmbogd