So I'm considering being a Goldpact Knight but I'm wondering about the whole role-playing aspect and how it affects gameplay.

In POE1:

Faith and Conviction gains a bonus of +1 Deflection, +2 Fortitude, +2 Reflex and +2 Will per rank in any favored disposition. Conversely, they receive -1 Deflection, -2 Fortitude, -2 Reflex and -2 Will per rank in any disfavored disposition.

Either way, a Paladin is only affected by ranks up to rank 3; further ranks do not contribute, meaning that the maximum attainable bonus to Faith and Conviction from dispositions alone is +6 Deflection, +12 Fortitude, +12 Reflex, and +12 Will.

Does it work the same way in Deadfire?

Also, while we're on the subject, how much armor does Gilded Enmity give and how does it disappear?  On hit, or..?
Edited by Yosharian

The defense bonus is higher in Deadfire.

Gilded Enmity gives you +4 AR and "breaks" apart after a certain amount of hits (or damage? Not sure anymore). It lasts a long time in a full party if you're not the only one who gets pummeled.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

No, for companions it just scaled with level rather than with disposition.

I mean if you meant companions in the first place. :)

I did mean companions. Guess I could have been a bit clearer there :)

Thanks for the reply. Does it work the same way in Deadfire as it did in POE1?

Is there a way to edit the files so my character can be a bleak walker but not suffer reduced benefits from devotion when he doesn't want to be a complete ****?

Is there still the talent that lets you ignore the negative effects of going against your order's expectations?

Is there a way to edit the files so my character can be a bleak walker but not suffer reduced benefits from devotion when he doesn't want to be a complete ****?

Does it even work that way in Deadfire?  Still waiting for confirmation on that

I believe so. My NPC paladin had higher benefit from deep devotion than I did. The description is also pretty blunt that your actions affect it. I strongly dislike that. The only skill in the entire game that's affected by your role playing. It's like in KOTOR where you're either the devil or an angel because good or evil points affected the strength of your force powers. 

Edited by PatrioticChief

Is there still the talent that lets you ignore the negative effects of going against your order's expectations?

Not in the beta. And even if it is, I don't want to waste a precious talent point on that. 

Yes it does, I was playing Bleak Walker and sticking to rude/evil answers to keep my faith bonuses. Complete As......ole character ;(

I really like that Paladins have penalties for going against their Order's beliefs. Makes it much more engaging to roleplay, especially when you turn the cheats off that tell you which response is which.

I agree. It makes going against my character for powerful gear a genuinely agonizing choice -- which is how it should be! It makes the role-playing part fun.

Yes it does, I was playing Bleak Walker and sticking to rude/evil answers to keep my faith bonuses. Complete As......ole character ;(

Thank you for answering this question!

Maybe you could start as another paladin subclass and just use the console to add and remove the relevant abilities. Bleak walkers get a unique FoD right? Use the console to add that to your char and remove the standard version. Sort of an ugly hack but it might work.

Maybe you could start as another paladin subclass and just use the console to add and remove the relevant abilities. Bleak walkers get a unique FoD right? Use the console to add that to your char and remove the standard version. Sort of an ugly hack but it might work.

Thanks for the idea. Thank you. 

Thanks for the idea. Thank you.

You could roleplay it as your guy used to be a BW but turned over a new leaf or something

I really like that Paladins have penalties for going against their Order's beliefs. Makes it much more engaging to roleplay, especially when you turn the cheats off that tell you which response is which.

others might argue that it's much more restrictive to roleplay because dialogue becomes taking a multiple choice test where you get graded on correct and incorrect answers

• Like 1

Can someone explain how Faith And Conviction now works? The talent description shows +10 to all defenses and +12 to all defenses with the Deep Faith upgrade. But a Bleak Walker I have tested starts with +17 to all Defenses - after some talking the bonus dropped to +15.3 and then to +14.9 to all defenses. Then I tried a Goldpact Knight, who also starts with +17 to all defenses. But after choosing almost the same dialog options he ended with +18 to all defenses instead. So a change via dialog is already in the game, but is it still tied to dispositions for each dialog option (hidden in the beta, even with deactivated Expert Mode) or is it tied to usage of the dialog skills like Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate?

Can someone explain how Faith And Conviction now works? The talent description shows +10 to all defenses and +12 to all defenses with the Deep Faith upgrade. But a Bleak Walker I have tested starts with +17 to all Defenses - after some talking the bonus dropped to +15.3 and then to +14.9 to all defenses. Then I tried a Goldpact Knight, who also starts with +17 to all defenses. But after choosing almost the same dialog options he ended with +18 to all defenses instead. So a change via dialog is already in the game, but is it still tied to dispositions for each dialog option (hidden in the beta, even with deactivated Expert Mode) or is it tied to usage of the dialog skills like Diplomacy/Bluff/Intimidate?

Imo it’s not upgraded in beta. Beta still use the old version

Favoured and disfavoured disposition are implemented and unchanged for Poe1. You can find them on the wiki.

Gold pact favour stoic and rational and despise aggressive and passionate while bleak Walkers favour aggressive and cruel and despise benevolent and honnest if I remember correctly.