Letting the game do the fighting for you - PoE2 in slacker mode

Okay this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use Empower to restore my lost resources.

Click on the “oooooo, shiny!” And than on the character portrait.

Thanks. I had tried clicking on the character model on the battlefield and on the resource counter but not the portrait. Note I might use Empower more.

Comically, I haven't figured out how to use Empower to do anything except renew resources. I pretty much only use it to refresh wizard and priest cast totals.

• Like 1

Comically, I haven't figured out how to use Empower to do anything except renew resources. I pretty much only use it to refresh wizard and priest cast totals.

If you click the icon then select an ability you want to empower it'll, well, empower it. I have to say in a lot of cases I feel the renewal of resources seems more useful though.

Guest Blutwurstritter

I guess the enemy A.I. is not too smart or are there no skills/spells that can handle mass summons ?

Like what? Weapons of mass summons destruction? ;)

Paladin Abjuration will probably be in Deadfire. Scroll of Greater Abjuration definitely is (you can add it with the console---yes it's basically Weapon of Mass Summons Destruction). 

Edited by SaruNi

Did ranger/sharpshooter accuracy bonuses make up for dumped per? Or did that significantly reduce their damage output?

Maybe dump con instead, or half-dump them both?

The weakness of Greater Abjuration might be its AoE and casting time. Skeletons may be too slow to scatter though....

Paladin Abjuration will probably be in Deadfire. Scroll of Greater Abjuration definitely is (you can add it with the console---yes it's basically Weapon of Mass Summons Destruction). 

Beckenor's summons are immune to Abjuration.

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Beckenor's summons are immune to Abjuration.

Hmm. Looks like it specifies "Paladin ability abjuration" though... not sure if that applies to the Greater Abjuration scroll (not clear that Greater Abjuration is necessarily Paladin, and not clear that scrolls count... though perhaps they should). Should be able to test it with Berserk/Confused....

Tested it---Berserker Frenzy Scroll of Great Abjuration indeed has no effect on Beckoner skeletons. So assuming berserk frenzy is interacting correctly with it (it's usually foe only), they're immune....

Edited by SaruNi

After further testing, it turns out that Scroll of Great Abjuration *does* work on Beckoner skeletons. (Berserker Spirit Frenzy seems to be bugged, which is what threw me off. Regular Berserker Frenzy got it to work.)

• Like 2

Thanks for testing!

And now the question is: will any npc ever use a Great Abjuration scroll against your skeletons? ;)

Would be a nice twist in an encounter though...

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Guest Blutwurstritter

I take it that there are no spells or skills that increase their effect/damage with the amount of enemies affected, or spells that confuse/turn summons ? There are  ways to counter or punish summon spam in other games so i hoped  there would be something alike in PoE 2 now that there is a class that does this. 

Presumably greater abjuration is a class ability for someone (Paladin?) as well, so a suitably high level NPC Paladin might use it

Deadfire class ability list on rpgcodex shows Abjuration as PL 9 Paladin ability, since 9 is the max that suggests that Paladin doesn't get Great Abjuration. (Sure, saying that Beckoner summons are immune to Paladin Abjuration ability in the subclass description doesn't rule out the possibility that they're not immune to Paladin Great Abjuration... but that borders on purposefully confusing. However, the specification "Paladin Abjuration" does imply that there might be non-Paladin Abjuration abilities.)

But "Great Abjuration" doesn't show up for any of the other classes. Maybe the list is incomplete, or maybe it's just a scroll (or enemy) spell. Would be tragicomic to rip through most of game with party of Beckoners only for an endgame boss to have many uses of Great Abjuration or equivalent.

Priests do get a spell called "Dismissal" at PL 8....

Edited by SaruNi

Wasn't Abjuration lowered to an earlier PL in the last beta version?

Hmm. The patch notes do say: "Paladin Abjuration is now at PL 5."

However, Abjuration isn't showing up in the Paladin ability tree yet, or in findgamedata abjuration iirc. 

But it does suggest that Great Abjuration could be a Paladin ability after all. 

They also seem to have changed the names of some spells/abilities since that list, so maybe Priest "Dismissal" became "Great Abjuration"....

Wasn't Abjuration lowered to an earlier PL in the last beta version?

Hmm. The patch notes do say: "Paladin Abjuration is now at PL 5."

However, Abjuration isn't showing up in the Paladin ability tree yet, or in findgamedata abjuration iirc.

But it does suggest that Great Abjuration could be a Paladin ability after all.

They also seem to have changed the names of some spells/abilities since that list, so maybe Priest "Dismissal" became "Great Abjuration"....

Well the data mining one is around Ferburary while the beta change log is from April, I think April one is more updated.

Sure, saying that Beckoner summons are immune to Paladin Abjuration ability in the subclass description doesn't rule out the possibility that they're not immune to Paladin Great Abjuration... but that borders on purposefully confusing.

Sounds about right for Obsidian tooltips :lol:

Summons scale with level. So I guess (?) that they are not so low on endurance once Death Ring is available. But Beckoner's summons do have reduced health by design, so who knows. Maybe it works.

Isn't there a level restriction, too? I mean that only enemies below you char level can be destroyed?

Okay this is a little embarrassing to admit, but I haven't been able to figure out how to use Empower to restore my lost resources.

Click on the “oooooo, shiny!” And than on the character portrait.

Didn't even know you could do this... thanks!

• Like 1