Neverwinter Nights 2: Enhanced Edition

• 3 weeks later...

Ye i had no cause to investigate EE. The tipping point for me was when they included that half-orc anti-paladin with STR 19 and made him gromnirs son or something.

Whole company of devs and not one of them had watched that simpsons 'poochie' episode.

Getting contract to modernise bg was an open goal but they got overexcited and blasted it into the stands rather than tapping it in.

Feel all they had to do was sort out compatibility and tart up the interface to better explain ad&d to the neophytes. Maybe incorporate some of the changes from oversight mods etc.

Instead they got it into their heads to rewrite the past. Seems like they thought they were being paid to create fan modules, not preserve rpg yardstick.

• Like 3

I AM A RENISANCE MAN

The price on the NWN:EE bundle is pretty steep right now -- US$52. Not sure I'd spend that much on what's essentially a slightly improved version of a 17-year old game.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Considering the reception of NWN EE by the community (which is larger and more active than NWN2), I think if the hardcore NWN2 fans aren't willing to pay $50 for a minor touch up then I'm not sure developers could justify the investment of making an enhanced edition for NWN2. It's probably more likely to get some semi-official bugfixes or a proper Kotor II remaster.

I also would love to see either or both NWN2:EE and NWN3. The thing is, NWN3 doesn't necessarily need to take place in Neverwinter. Heck, other than the OC's none of the expansions in either game take place there. NWN3 would just be the tag line above. Heck, they could make an open toolset where one could drop any ruleset in and the theme is just directed by the assets. That engine could make anything from a sword and sorcery adventure to a steam punk/sci fie mystery. One could use d20, gurus, champions, 1-5th ed. D&D etc etc to make their adventure. That would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

My history includes all the BG, IWD and NWN games from the day they were released. I am a System Builder for Gaming PC's. Yes NWN2 has bugs.... Yes it is the better of the two nwn games from a players view. I like both the online and single player versions. I do not like the online MMOPRG game "Neverwinter". It stinks! It is NOT any version of the game I love and does not deserve any mention here.  I enjoy the EE versions because it saves me the trouble of patching / Modding old games! I still dream of the day where I can get my old server (S.O.I.) I played on for years up and running. I would like to see a remake / another chapter of Baldur's Gate AND Neverwinter Nights 2!

Regardless of licensing issues, I very much doubt Beamdog has any interest in a NwN2:EE. The reason they're doing NwN:EE is because Beamdog CEO Trent Oster has a personal love for that game and sees it as "his baby" from his time at Bioware. By contrast he has openly stated he fundamentally disagreed with the direction that Obsidian took with NwN2 and sees NwN2 as an inferior game to NwN. So NwN:EE is very personal to Oster.

He's allowed to be wrong.

But the fact is, Beamdog is probably done with the enhanced editions now. Aren't they doing, like, Axis & Allies now?

• Like 1

I honestly felt more invested in the base story of NWN2 and its expansions, whereas for NWN1 I was far more interested in the modules people made. While I love both, I admit an EE of NWN2 would be absolutely amazing. I truly do miss the game sometimes, and still boot it up on occasion when I need a D&D fix I sadly cannot get elsewhere anymore.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Big fan of NWN1 and NWN2 here, I just play NWN2 with high res not so long ago :) (was a mess to find and install the patch though).

tips to get high resolution on win10, you must windowed the game, change the res, restart, and play fullscreen, "et voilà"). NWN2 in high res is still good, very nice in fact, just still this horrible camera movement, except that it's fine. I play lot of classes again (best part of the game), and still there nothing better than a monk... anyway, I'm not so interested for an enhanced version, because I think the whole game must change in these case, not just graphics : the camera management, the combat system (always blocked by a door), the story is fine but looks unfinished too, and the alchemy is way too powerful. I think the better will be an NWN3 in fact, with more balanced classes, new skills, new area, new races, new content, new everything. Just crossing the fingers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know why NwN2 is not available on Steam?

Separately, does NwN2 loaded from the original CDs run fine in Windows 10? I've never bothered to try as I assumed it would be too much trouble to try and get it to run. So any feedback would be appreciated.

14 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Its available on GOG. They (Atari?) took it down from Steam years ago.

But this just brings up another question: clearly NwN1 (in the form of its enhanced edition) does not have any Atari issues, so why does NwN2 continue to have Atari issues?

Surely they could just make new games in the Forgotten Realms. Instead of BG3, NWN3, Icewind Dale 3 etc, why not Waterdeep? Luskan? Thay? Whatever, just name it after a city, set it in that area and BOOM. It will still be popular with DND fans and it won't annoy people like me for making a pointless sequel.

• Like 3

nowt

23 hours ago, kanisatha said:

But this just brings up another question: clearly NwN1 (in the form of its enhanced edition) does not have any Atari issues, so why does NwN2 continue to have Atari issues?

19 hours ago, the_dog_days said:

Its probably something to do with NWN1 being made before the Atari sell offs and NWN2 being made during it.

This is the kind of question where one would hope (and expect) that someone from Obsidian would consider it appropriate to chime in and enlighten us. But alas ....

2 hours ago, kanisatha said:

This is the kind of question where one would hope (and expect) that someone from Obsidian would consider it appropriate to chime in and enlighten us. But alas ....

Tons of tweets, posts, threads, and emails and no response = Atari nondisclosure. And, no, nobodies talked about the nondisclosure itself because its a nondisclosure😑

On 4/3/2018 at 3:30 PM, Wormerine said:

I am all for it, as long as they do not add their own content.

I'd appreciate it if they'd finish off some of the sadly unfinished character interactions, like wrap up Neeshka's plot better, and have Sand and whatshername the sorcerer fight more, that sort of thing.

This may be impossible, though, since *all* of NwN2 aside from the PC was voice-acted and I doubt they'd be able to get the original voice actors back or if they'd even sound like themselves this many years later.

The quantity of voice-over may make NwN2 a no-go for an Enhanced Edition, anyway.  That was pretty much THE point when RPG's went from being relatively cheap things that a small studio could put out to expensive AAA mega-works.  The animations and voice acting made them need a big budget.

While the licensing might be awkward, I doubt it'd be truly prohibitive.  It's not like anyone is making much money off NwN2 these days, and the community goodwill from these Enhanced Editions has been pretty strong, so there's a good motive for whoever owns it to just say "sure", sign the paperwork, and let Beamdog do their thing.

Edited by PsychoBlonde
  • Thanks 1

Grand Rhetorist of the Obsidian Order

If you appeal to "realism" about a video game feature, you are wrong. Go back and try again.

47 minutes ago, PsychoBlonde said:

The quantity of voice-over may make NwN2 a no-go for an Enhanced Edition, anyway.  That was pretty much THE point when RPG's went from being relatively cheap things that a small studio could put out to expensive AAA mega-works.  The animations and voice acting made them need a big budget.

I don't see how voiceacting would be a factor - afterall, all VO is already recorded. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Perhaps a feasible approach may be to use the Xoreos code base for the NWN2 data load back end then write a 3D game engine interface in Unity. But you'd need a team of developers to pull that off.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."