constitution

divjak

I like the new stats except one, constitution!

It's easy to dump it because it's easy to get healing sources, basically, it only matters in the low-level range where you don't have much healing, later on, less health is mitigated with constant healing as long  as you don't get one shotted 

What I propose is to remove healing done from might, and put healing received into constitution, that way constitution becomes relevant stat for tanks.

Right now, its a dump stat even for tanks, also dedicated healers won't need to invest in might which is more of aggression stat, but rather the healing they do is dependent on the target constitution, healer intelligence for over time, and items. Constitution becomes relevant for even using healing potions and such.

With those changes, if  you wont to dump constitution, then you will need to build a glass cannon 

Also from a realism/immersion standpoint, someone with a low constitution is sickly, hard to heal, so it makes a lot more sense 

Edited by divjak

Every time I dump constitution I regret it when my characters gets one shot. Whenever I drop below 10 (not to mention 3) I really really feel it. Back line isn’t as safe as it was in PoE1.

innately squishy targets like mages or ciphers will be one shotted if targeted by multiple ranged enemies while wearing light armor, even when having a higher constitution, you need to be more proactive in CCing mass ranged enemies that will focus on your casters because of their AI.

Problem is that you can tank with 5 or 6 constitution with no problem, and constitution right now is most worthless stat  because of the abundance of healing abilities and items.It makes sense that constitution dictates healing received to balance it out,  so the constitution actually matters when it comes to surviving damage 

Edited by divjak
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Don't forget that CON influences Fortitude. If Deadfire is anything like PoE then Fortitude is the most important defense.

like any other stat gives some kind of saves, there are bad ones in each category.

You can mitigate fortitude with high might if you are going for glass cannon, then you will certainly be aiming to have high might, from creation and items.

Also the way afflictions work in deadfire, you can mitigate them completely by buffs

Still, this change would make constitution much more interesting and engaging stat, no doubt about it

Edited by divjak

Might is definitely king so you end up with some resistance to prone, paralyzed, sickened, stunned, etc. The problem is that something must be dumped to make better use of other stats and that is usually resolve. Now you're up against charm, fear, and other such afflictions. The only good ways to survive a short bout of one of those is the added health from con, remove the status, or high intelligence. This makes resolve slightly more important for non-casters or non-barbarians (because of buffs.)  Also in some cases monks can use int, but that's a whole other problem.

Some fights have vs. will saves. Most fights have vs. con saves. You can build a character with balanced stats, however you will end up with something similar to some of the premade companion characters. There were some of those in the first one that made almost no impact on combat, which made it hard to want to complete their little dialogue/quest.

Without knowing how big of a role resolve plays in conversation I can't fully weigh in on that aspect yet. In the first one resolve was for the chatty character and constitution for the combat.

With all factors added any major deduction in con has resulted in save scumming from repeated death for me. I've tried and just can't dump con in the current state. We'll find out soon if that's still the case.

I'd be only slightly more inclined to want healing received to depend on resolve.

Edited by djinnxy