Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Awful tree talents.

talents

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

master guardian

master guardian

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

why dont we start a new thread called'

"The completely pointless personal attack, trolling and boring information thread"

and then all you guys can go over there and have a right old crack at each other to satisfy you boredom 

• rjshae and SonicMage117 like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3206 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

why dont we start a new thread called'

"The completely pointless personal attack, trolling and boring information thread"

and then all you guys can go over there and have a right old crack at each other to satisfy you boredom

I think we have one, it's called the Political thread in the "Off Topic" section :p

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

no one wants to read a pointless arguement

Agreed. The thing is, this pointless argument starts the same way every time: Sonic comes into a thread where there's even a hint of disagreement and spouts his nonsense. If he would simply focus on posting about the game rather than his idea that everyone's out to get him, and accept that people can disagree with each other without it being some sort attempt at suppressing dissenting ideas, then this argument wouldn't keep coming up. So the onus is really on Sonic to change.

• Achilles, bonarbill, illathid and 3 others like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3206 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Uhhh... isn't it the other way around? Members here don't like or wanna accept my comment so therefore they try to hard to rebutal it. I mean, look at how many responses my first comment recieved, I didn't say anythinhg unfair or wrong so pretty sure if anyone has an issue here, it's not me.

Then again, it's the Obsidian forum...

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14481 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Although some of the "new" old abilities may be lackluster: better to have some meh stuff in between ok stuff than having no stuff to choose from at all.

And if it's only for the weirdos like me who like to do weirdo builds. Sometimes they really work out, so where's the harm?

Better have some redundant abilites than watching at a nearly empty tree of abilites while you do your third playthrough with the same fighter build because there's nothing else to pick...

Of course it would be better to have lots of really nice, unique abilites with interesting effects. This would have been easier if OBS just polished the mechanics of PoE and added some new stuff here and there. But for several reasons they decided to make a complete redesign of all mechanics and of course that leaves no time to invent and test a lot of new abilites which may need new sound effects, vfx, balancing and so on. Understandable I think. Still: the beta4 is the best beta version so far.

And I still miss my old PoE general talents pool... 

Edited by Boeroer, 04 April 2018 - 04:17 AM.

• illathid, JerekKruger, draego and 3 others like this

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5199 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was hoping this thread was about a set of talents called "awful tree" for Druids and that we'd be discussing it.  Possibilities fired in the imagination, alas.

I haven't played the beta, but as long as you have some option in the picking of talents, I don't really see an issue in having less talents.  The problem would be if you had so few talents that you had no choice (at which point, what's the point of having a choice, just design the class to pick-up the talent at a particular level-up).

• ShadySands, Mannock and Nanawatzin like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14481 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That was the impression in former betas: no real choice (obviously mostly for single class characters).

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was hoping this thread was about a set of talents called "awful tree" for Druids and that we'd be discussing it.  Possibilities fired in the imagination, alas.

I haven't played the beta, but as long as you have some option in the picking of talents, I don't really see an issue in having less talents.  The problem would be if you had so few talents that you had no choice (at which point, what's the point of having a choice, just design the class to pick-up the talent at a particular level-up).

It's about quality not quantity. What I get is that even though there enough choices right now, many seem boring or uninteresting or not worthwile. It's a valid point, though I have to say, as a non-hardocore player (meaning I don't do multiple playthroughs) I found many talents of Pillars 1 not that useful too and others almost mandatory. But I can imagine experimenting players could use many of those felt useless to me.  

Edited by Sedrefilos, 04 April 2018 - 04:29 AM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5199 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I suppose I should amend my statement as I was thinking of a small talent pool of equally useful talents.  If it were a small pool of one really, extremely useful talent and a bunch of useless ones then you really don't have a talent pool, but a talent and some detritus, which is not terribly different from having a large pool with only a handful of useful choices.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3206 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
That seems to be an ongoing struggle in the genre, being confident in the balance of talents/skills trees. It's a shame but it happens. If all talents could be measurably equal, it would be a miracle but it's a shame that the players who want to play with certain talents have a lesser experience because they go a different route....

Such is the fault of builds in rpg's in general. Wanna play the smart way? We'll punish you for it. Wanna play your way in an rpg game? We'll punish you for that as well :p

Edited by SonicMage117, 04 April 2018 - 04:44 AM.

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7719 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

For example the warriors second update of focus ability - the choosing between 50% gazes to hits and 50% to crits and +5 intelligence? Seriously?

is not as great an example as one might believe it to be.  is numerous tank builds which we do not much care 'bout doing weapon damage and am preferring tactical barrage to disciplined strikes.  yes, for many fighter builds intellect is o' negligible importance, but particular for multiclass tanks, or any multiclass which relies on powhaz with a duration, tactical will be the win choice over disciplined.  

HA! Good Fun!

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I usually don't get all mad about it unless a game really really sucks. If some class doesn't feel interesting (like playing a fighter in any DnD crpg) I just pick something else (sorcrers and druids are usually fun). In a story driven game class design is only a fraction of the enjoyment imo. If the game is good in general I can easily overlook a not so well design.

Now if someone is so glued to a particular class/playstyle in every rpg that refuses to play anything else, and it just so happens it's the one (among numerous others, though) that doesn't feel all that well developed in Deadfire, well, it's half their fault imo :p

Edited by Sedrefilos, 04 April 2018 - 05:08 AM.

Murp

Murp

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I give this thread a 6/10 on the salt chart. I've seen worse.

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
Just a friendly reminder that we’ve seen about 40% of the game. I’m sure the +50,000 damage passive that everyone agrees is totally balanced and not game breaking at all will be available at level 10.

In the mean time, the low level passives are...available at lower levels.

hilfazer

hilfazer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 680 posts

If you are talking about multiclass why cant you add somehing like gamechanging mechanics to talents, like furious warrior (just an example) that gives you +to damage for a short time but a loss of accracy, or spellsword when your damage becomes modified by intelligence vs might? Is it so hard?
Yes, that is hard to balance, but this is interesting!

In PoE2 we're not getting interesting and gamechanging, we're getting balanced and boring.

Have a look at Carnage. In PoE1 it was interesting, in PoE2 it is boring.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5055 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is the complaint that the majority of the talents are uninteresting, or not powerful enough? From my perspective a talent tree is useful if it allows you to tailor your character to be noticeably different from another build. They don't really need to be super novel or very powerful to be useful in game play terms.

• Amentep and Achilles like this

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Is the complaint that the majority of the talents are uninteresting, or not powerful enough? From my perspective a talent tree is useful if it allows you to tailor your character to be noticeably different from another build. They don't really need to be super novel or very powerful to be useful in game play terms.

Great post

Sedrefilos

Sedrefilos

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2060 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

40% of the game mechanics-wise maybe, 'cause I doubt we've seen even 10% of the overall product.

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

40% of the game mechanics-wise maybe, 'cause I doubt we've seen even 10% of the overall product.

Yep. I assumed that would be obvious but it’s good to clarify.
  • Sedrefilos likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3263 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Playing casters exclusively, I don't like that I have to choose between a talent or a spell. I wish they were separate.

Guess it doesn't really matter as I can just cheat 

• dunehunter likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: talents

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users