Hello there, your fan is speaking. Yesterday i checked the latest PoE patch and im still frustrated. What is this really? I consider myself to be the great follower of your games and game decisions. I've played all of your RPG based games, went through the max difficulty of last pillars and that was interesting with my custom builds and party variations.
And what do we have now, in 2018? After the great mechanic of first pillars combat and talents? The weapon choice and the 10+ to defences at the talent tree? Seriously? What kind of multiclass are you talking about, if the main classes are incredibly dull and boring? 
When the 80% of choices are uninteresting and obvious. For example the warriors second update of focus ability - the choosing between 50% gazes to hits and 50% to crits and +5 intelligence? Seriously?
If you are talking about multiclass why cant you add somehing like gamechanging mechanics to talents, like furious warrior (just an example) that gives you +to damage for a short time but a loss of accracy, or spellsword when your damage becomes modified by intelligence vs might? Is it so hard?
Yes, that is hard to balance, but this is interesting! First pillats was terrible at balance even after final patches, but is had great choices and options for certain types of parties. Deadfire have none. 
Wanted to buy deluxe edition pre-order, but now im not sure. Please spare more of your time to the talents trees. Now that is just pathetic.

• Like 6

They don't want to add new talents (especially this late in development) I expect, so having old talents shuffled around is the best we're going to get until post-launch.

Aloth massages his temples, shaking his head.

Hello there, your fan is speaking. Yesterday i checked the latest PoE patch and im still frustrated. What is this really? I consider myself to be the great follower of your games and game decisions. I've played all of your RPG based games, went through the max difficulty of last pillars and that was interesting with my custom builds and party variations.

And what do we have now, in 2018? After the great mechanic of first pillars combat and talents? The weapon choice and the 10+ to defences at the talent tree? Seriously? What kind of multiclass are you talking about, if the main classes are incredibly dull and boring? 

When the 80% of choices are uninteresting and obvious. For example the warriors second update of focus ability - the choosing between 50% gazes to hits and 50% to crits and +5 intelligence? Seriously?

If you are talking about multiclass why cant you add somehing like gamechanging mechanics to talents, like furious warrior (just an example) that gives you +to damage for a short time but a loss of accracy, or spellsword when your damage becomes modified by intelligence vs might? Is it so hard?

Yes, that is hard to balance, but this is interesting! First pillats was terrible at balance even after final patches, but is had great choices and options for certain types of parties. Deadfire have none. 

Wanted to buy deluxe edition pre-order, but now im not sure. Please spare more of your time to the talents trees. Now that is just pathetic.

Very true and valid but do remember that you are on an Obsidian forum. Prepare to be burned in witch's fire and crucified lmao

By the way, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we don't scare you off, it's nice to get from fresh blood but unfortunately new members tend not to last very long.

• Like 4

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Very true and valid but do remember that you are on an Obsidian forum. Prepare to be burned in witch's fire and crucified lmao

By the way, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we don't scare you off, it's nice to get from fresh blood but unfortunately new members tend not to last very long.

Huh. The guy was hardly dog piled. You are not even the first guy to agree with him.

• Like 7

You say the same stuff every time.  :p  Nobody is attacking him.  In fact, a lot of people here agree with the topic creator on the subject if you look through the beta forums.

• Like 4

Josh did this because he believed and i qoute directly from him;

That he believed there was an great variety of talents and skills to choose from at level up in pillars 1 but well over half of them where never used by players or hardly selected at all. He thought there where a big heaps of talents that where pointless.

And he was 100% correct, think about it in pillars 1 you usually only selected the core good talents and skills and left the rest alone.

He has filtered all of them out and tried to use talents that are more relevant.  

It would be good to have a few more of course but we want more of everything......just give the game a go

• Like 1

Huh. The guy was hardly dog piled. You are not even the first guy to agree with him.

Yeah but admitting that wouldn't fit with Sonic's internal narrative of being the oppressed lone voice of truth.

Speaking of which, did you guys receive your March pay-checks for oppressive posting? Mine is kinda late.

• Like 8

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

couldnt agree more well said

• Like 1

You say the same stuff every time. :p Nobody is attacking him. In fact, a lot of people here agree with the topic creator on the subject if you look through the beta forums.
It's because it's usually needed. New members are terribly accepted by older members, especially if they make a thread which criticizes or questions game design. speak ahead of time, calling the trolls out ahead of time is taking preventive steps.

If I call them out before then there is no trolling instead they try to make me look crazy lol But this is better than existing members attacking the new members so I'm happy with that.

Now I ask, is the thread going to go back on topic or are we going to stay derailing the thread with the usual "Sonic is wrong" attempt? I doubt a new member wants to read such nonsense on their first thread.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I think it's the way everything is presented and argued. Nobody called this guy out, because he makes a valid point, even if one disagrees. So no, it's not about newbie bashing. You just use this to cope with the fact that alot of people strongly disagree with your posts Sonic. 

Back on topic, I do not fully agree with the OP. I agree that alot of abilities are subpar, but they make for varied gameplay, and even subpar abilities can be used in some builds. So I don't see it as a big problem.

Edited by TheisEjsing
  • Like 3

No, not really. The comment I made was a warning for future comments, nobody here has to agree with me, I already know that older members don't/won't agree with me no matter what I say (even when I'm right). That is no issue to me.

The fact is that there are so many threads from first time posters that have gotten trolled or where new members have been made uncomfirtable, even when they have more knowledge than the member who has been here for years. Snarky/snide comments from older members aside, I'll always continue to welcome new members and warn them of this behavior ahead of time so they know just what to expect. That way, there's less of a chance of them leaving after one or two posts.

Again, I never said people were already trolling, it was a fair warning ahead of time. Hence my saying "Prepare" as in advance. Therefore my original comment still stands valid. If this is one of the rare threads from a first time poster which doesn't get trolled, that will be a rare but good thing - as threads which question Obsidian's game design do not go well here.

That's why I usually recommend new users to go to a non-Obsidian/non-rpg forum to question game design or say anything negative about the game. I love our little cult here but I gotta let the newbies know what they're getting into :)

why dont we start a new thread called'

"The completely pointless personal attack, trolling and boring information thread"

and then all you guys can go over there and have a right old crack at each other to satisfy you boredom

I think we have one, it's called the Political thread in the "Off Topic" section :p

no one wants to read a pointless arguement

Agreed. The thing is, this pointless argument starts the same way every time: Sonic comes into a thread where there's even a hint of disagreement and spouts his nonsense. If he would simply focus on posting about the game rather than his idea that everyone's out to get him, and accept that people can disagree with each other without it being some sort attempt at suppressing dissenting ideas, then this argument wouldn't keep coming up. So the onus is really on Sonic to change.

• Like 6

Uhhh... isn't it the other way around? Members here don't like or wanna accept my comment so therefore they try to hard to rebutal it. I mean, look at how many responses my first comment recieved, I didn't say anythinhg unfair or wrong so pretty sure if anyone has an issue here, it's not me.

Then again, it's the Obsidian forum...

Although some of the "new" old abilities may be lackluster: better to have some meh stuff in between ok stuff than having no stuff to choose from at all.

And if it's only for the weirdos like me who like to do weirdo builds. Sometimes they really work out, so where's the harm?

Better have some redundant abilites than watching at a nearly empty tree of abilites while you do your third playthrough with the same fighter build because there's nothing else to pick...

Of course it would be better to have lots of really nice, unique abilites with interesting effects. This would have been easier if OBS just polished the mechanics of PoE and added some new stuff here and there. But for several reasons they decided to make a complete redesign of all mechanics and of course that leaves no time to invent and test a lot of new abilites which may need new sound effects, vfx, balancing and so on. Understandable I think. Still: the beta4 is the best beta version so far.

And I still miss my old PoE general talents pool... 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 6

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods