Summons scale with char level, not PL. Please don't ask me why. :)

Are the final tally of things that don't scale: Summons, summoned weapons and ranger pets?

Please tell me that ranger animal companions scale with CL, not PL... Or, they don't scale at all? (pretty sure that is how it was in PoE 1, you just used those abilities to give them more hitpoints/attacks/skills/etc)

"1 is 1"

They scaled in PoE. Base damage of weapons, armor DR and of course ACC and endurance as well as defenses scaled with char level. Same in Deadfire.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Hello,

i would like to ask if anyone can explain how the ,,Power Level,, in Deadfire works exactly. Comprehensively and in detail please.

Thank you in advance.

Others can explain better, but basically it works like this.  Power level is a component of multiclassing, so I'll use that as an example.  Think of a single class Wizard versus a multiclass Wizard/Fighter:

1) The Wizard/Fighter can cast some of the same spells that the Wizard can, but at slightly reduced power (less damage, less duration, less penetration, etc).  This power disparity increases slightly as the two characters grow in levels.

2) The Wizard can cast higher level spells earlier than the Wizard/Fighter can.  For example, a Wizard would get Level 5 spells faster than the Wizard/Fighter.

3) The Wizard can cast some very high level spells (Level 8 and Level 9) that the Wizard/Fighter will never get access to.

Just take all the good ideas about multiclassing from d&d rules.

• 4 weeks later...

I won't ask you why, but can I ask Obsidian why? Is this something that's bugged and will be fixed in release or just intentional? Tooltip for power level is "[...]All active spells and abilities are modified by Power Level[...]. So if summons are not affected, are they not spells or abilities? Or is the tooltip just plain lying?

And Spiritshift's and Form of the Fearsome Brute's (Transmuter Ogre) armor & weapons.

Wait... does this mean that my planned Ascetic(Druid-Shifter / Monk-Shattered Pillar)'s spirit shifts will only scale with power level and not character level? if so, this is balls and I'll have to re-think my pc build...

However, multiclasses get more total ability *uses* per encounter. 

Depending entirely on what class(es) you choose and what abilities you pick.   A passive heavy class doesn't have more 'uses' of anything, especially compared to the potential of a  chanter or cipher, who both have a lot of active abilities and innate recharge of their 'uses'

Also of note is that single class characters can choose an ability at Power Level 9 that gives them an additional Power Level called Prestige.

So a Single Class character can get up to Power Level 10, versus Power Level 7 for Multi-Class characters.

Something I noted while looking over the higher level powers.

I won't ask you why, but can I ask Obsidian why? Is this something that's bugged and will be fixed in release or just intentional? Tooltip for power level is "[...]All active spells and abilities are modified by Power Level[...]. So if summons are not affected, are they not spells or abilities? Or is the tooltip just plain lying?

The strength of the summon scales with character level (health, defenses, accuracy, damage). Power Levels apply to the duration of the summon ... so if your Power Level is higher the duration for the summon is longer (in the Beta +5% per additional Power Level)..

However, multiclasses get more total ability *uses* per encounter. 

Depending entirely on what class(es) you choose and what abilities you pick.   A passive heavy class doesn't have more 'uses' of anything, especially compared to the potential of a  chanter or cipher, who both have a lot of active abilities and innate recharge of their 'uses'

Abilities like Disciplined Barrage and Berserk cost resources too. And some of the best passives operate based on how many resource points you have left.

Don't think going passives-only is an optimal strategy for any class, though there might be stretches of the early game like that.

Edited by SaruNi

Wait. Does this mean a Conjurer gets no bonus from their +1 Power Level to Conjuration spells?

Increased spell duration for summons/summoned weapons/effects....

Conjuration also includes damaging spells that benefit from PL.

• 8 months later...

So a lot of miss info. Here is the link to the wiki. https://pillarsofeternity2.wiki.fextralife.com/Power+Level

Power levels are the level points when you can access new skills/spells. multicalss get 7 defult and singleclass get 9 defult. From what I understand It also increases the amount of times you can cast spells or use abilites. So say you have 3 lvl 1 druid spells, if you go up in power level, it will rise to 4 lvl 1 spells. It can also change the power of abilities or spells, depending on the class or subclass. Unfortunately I cannot find more detail as to how it affects each class and sub classes. Obsidian needs to either release a training area where you can fully build and level characters to test this stuff out or release a detailed info dump of the games mechanics and systems IMO.

Maybe instead of resurrecting a thread that is mostly from before the game was released you might take a look at the pinned Mechanics:Power Level compilation thread?

It has a better in depth explanation on Power Levels.

Edited by Razorchain

Power levels are the level points when you can access new skills/spells. multicalss get 7 defult and singleclass get 9 defult. From what I understand It also increases the amount of times you can cast spells or use abilites. So say you have 3 lvl 1 druid spells, if you go up in power level, it will rise to 4 lvl 1 spells.

No.

Read this: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/99409-mechanics-power-level-compilation-thread/page-1

And you'll need no training area.

If you want to find stuff out by yourself then simply go into any area you like and use the build-in console to give yourself levels, abilities subclasses, items etc. and spawn enemies.

Edited by Boeroer

• 1 year later...
On 4/3/2018 at 1:05 AM, Yosharian said:

Others can explain better, but basically it works like this.  Power level is a component of multiclassing, so I'll use that as an example.  Think of a single class Wizard versus a multiclass Wizard/Fighter:

1) The Wizard/Fighter can cast some of the same spells that the Wizard can, but at slightly reduced power (less damage, less duration, less penetration, etc).  This power disparity increases slightly as the two characters grow in levels.

2) The Wizard can cast higher level spells earlier than the Wizard/Fighter can.  For example, a Wizard would get Level 5 spells faster than the Wizard/Fighter.

3) The Wizard can cast some very high level spells (Level 8 and Level 9) that the Wizard/Fighter will never get access to.

Power level is a common passive ability tier IX passive (any class have it if i am correct) so i doubt it permit to launch higher tier spell sooner (it is a Tier IX ability - you can get it only at LV 19, max is 20), i wonder how it work too, i think it increase the power of any ability, but i would like to have the maths...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

No. I think you mean Prestige (the ability that gives you +1 PL), not Power Level itself.

Power Level is a secondary measurement of class advancement. A bit like character level (since your basic Power Level is tied to your class level), but it will get altered by multiclassing (lower PL than single class in general) and can be increased/decreased by abilities, consumables and items. 

Little problem: the "base" Power Level also describes the ability tiers. Tier I = Power Level 1 up to Tier IX = ability tier 9. This might be confusing for some people: that the term Power Level is used for that char-level-like thing as well as for the ability tiers. 

Multiclass chars can only reach base PL of 7 (they can never pick abilities of the tiers/PL 8 and 9). They also reach Power Levels more slowly than single classes. So in order to reach PL 3 for example a MC char needs more character levels than a SC char. That also means that SC chars reach certain abilites much earlier in the game.

All abilities automatically scale with your "actual" (not base) Power Level. That's your base PL +/- abilities (like Wellspring of Life, Tactical Barrage/Acute/Brilliant, Blood Scarifice, Ascension, Prestige and so on), consumables (like Potion of Ascension) and items (like Stone of Power, some pets, Spine of Ticket Green and stuff). However, those bonuses don't change your base PL which determines which ability tier you can pick from. They only chance your "actual" PL.

Abilities gain PEN, +5% base damage, accuracy and other goodies like duration or more projectiles etc. per Power Level. So for example a SC lvl-20 Paladin's Flames of Devotion will be more powerful than that of a MC Paladin/Wizard at lvl 20. Because the first one will have reached PL 9 and the other one PL 7. That means the SC Paladin's FoD will have 10% higher base damage (among other things like higher PEN and accuracy).

But... wasn't all that explained above by other posters already? 

Edited by Boeroer

On 2/22/2020 at 7:02 AM, Boeroer said:

No. I think you mean Prestige (the ability that gives you +1 PL), not Power Level itself.

Power Level is a secondary measurement of class advancement. A bit like character level (since your basic Power Level is tied to your class level), but it will get altered by multiclassing (lower PL than single class in general) and can be increased/decreased by abilities, consumables and items. 

Little problem: the "base" Power Level also describes the ability tiers. Tier I = Power Level 1 up to Tier IX = ability tier 9. This might be confusing for some people: that the term Power Level is used for that char-level-like thing as well as for the ability tiers. 

Multiclass chars can only reach base PL of 7 (they can never pick abilities of the tiers/PL 8 and 9). They also reach Power Levels more slowly than single classes. So in order to reach PL 3 for example a MC char needs more character levels than a SC char. That also means that SC chars reach certain abilites much earlier in the game.

All abilities automatically scale with your "actual" (not base) Power Level. That's your base PL +/- abilities (like Wellspring of Life, Tactical Barrage/Acute/Brilliant, Blood Scarifice, Ascension, Prestige and so on), consumables (like Potion of Ascension) and items (like Stone of Power, some pets, Spine of Ticket Green and stuff). However, those bonuses don't change your base PL which determines which ability tier you can pick from. They only chance your "actual" PL.

Abilities gain PEN, +5% base damage, accuracy and other goodies like duration or more projectiles etc. per Power Level. So for example a SC lvl-20 Paladin's Flames of Devotion will be more powerful than that of a MC Paladin/Wizard at lvl 20. Because the first one will have reached PL 9 and the other one PL 7. That means the SC Paladin's FoD will have 10% higher base damage (among other things like higher PEN and accuracy).

But... wasn't all that explained above by other posters already?

Is there a way to see our actual "Level of power / Power level" (Prestige add +1 level of power/power level) ?  If at lv20 we have 50 power level it is not interesting, but if we have 4 power level/level of power "Prestige" can be very interesting...
I have found some help for calculation of PL by Level on Gamepedia but not sure if it is for POE or Deadfire because the max character level = 30 and on Deadfire i am maxed at LV 20 : https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Power_levels
Edit  : I got my answer, if this table is true, "Prestige" passive will increase ability power scalling from +-10% for Tier IX abilities to 5% for tier I abilities, not sure it is a good idea to get it... 

------------------- >

Power level for nth level abilities

The following tables list the power level of nth level abilities given the above power-level-by-character-level. This is the final power level of an ability, assuming there are no other external factors.

Single class power levels
Power level by
character level
Ability native power level
1 (I) 2 (II) 3 (III) 4 (IV) 5 (V) 6 (VI) 7 (VII) 8 (VIII) 9 (IX)
1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8
2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6 -7
3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5 -6
4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4 -5
5 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3 -4
6 5 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2 -3
7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 -1 -2
8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0 -1
9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 0
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
11 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

There are no power levels in PoE so I guess it's Deadfire.

Your actual power level is rel. easy to determine: check which ability tier you can pick. For example if you are able to pick PL 7 abilities bit not PL 8 abilities you are at PL 7. All other effects except Prestige are just temporary and you can see them under active effects. Prestige usually means you get from PL 9 to PL 10.

13 minutes ago, fced said:

Is there a way to see our actual "Level of power / Power level" (Prestige add +1 level of power/power level) ?  If at lv20 we have 50 power level it is not interesting, but if we have 4 power level/level of power "Prestige" can be very interesting...

I'm not sure there's any way to get a Power Level anywhere near 50, even temporarily. Normally, at level 20, your base Power Level will either be 9 (if you're a single class character) or 7 (if you're a multiclass character). Given only single class characters can get Prestige it'll always be +1 on top of a base Power Level of 9.

To give you some idea of how powerful that is, if you're a Monk it'll upgrade your fists from +65% Damage, +18 Accuracy and +5 Penetration to +80% Damage, +22 Accuracy and +6 Penetration, taking it from slightly better than Legendary to significantly better than Legendary (and slightly better than Mythic).

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JerekKruger said:

I'm not sure there's any way to get a Power Level anywhere near 50, even temporarily. Normally, at level 20, your base Power Level will either be 9 (if you're a single class character) or 7 (if you're a multiclass character). Given only single class characters can get Prestige it'll always be +1 on top of a base Power Level of 9.

To give you some idea of how powerful that is, if you're a Monk it'll upgrade your fists from +65% Damage, +18 Accuracy and +5 Penetration to +80% Damage, +22 Accuracy and +6 Penetration, taking it from slightly better than Legendary to significantly better than Legendary (and slightly better than Mythic).

Ok, i didn't knew Power level apply to weapons also...