So, how ya buildin' Eder?

I'd like to discuss everyone's favorite golden-haired, starry-eyed, aww shucks racist farmer, Eder. 

I'm bringing him with me on the first playthrough, and all of you are as well! Come on ...he's the watcher's best pal. Wait ...you didn't sacrifice him to the blood pit did you? You chaotic evil b*stard!

Given current power levels in the Backer Beta IV - how are you guys and gals planning to building him? I'll lay out a few options below to start the conversation:

1) Single Class Fighter - now that charge is at Power Level 4 it's looking like you'll have that monstrous ability for a good half the game. Turn Eder back into that good old dual wielding sabre monster that he was in Pillars 1? (also you're going to need someone to wield that spoilerific talking weapon recently unearthed in the patch notes...) orrrrr strap a shield and sword on that bad boy otherwise known as the CANON BUILD (1 N, not two, that's a different build)

2) Single Class Rogue - sharp right turn with Eder and make him a full rogue! Stabby stabby single dagger focusing on stealth and backstabs? Pew pew double pistols focusing on ranged? Pray that Tidefall 2.0 exists and go 2-hander? Lots of fun options.

3) Swashbuckler (Fighter / Rogue multiclass) - I have to think this is the most popular choice, best of both worlds. But I'm curious what everyone else thinks. After all, I'm hoping to use this thread for ideas to test out during BB4 so I've got my plan for Eder ready to go for launch! Help me Backers wan Kenobi ...you're my only hope!

Edited by Frog Man
  • Like 2

My current plan is to test a swashbuckler shield riposte tank, partly because it looks very strong on paper and partly because the party may need a rogue in there somewhere.

edit: I also plan on doing Pallegina as a Paladin / Chanter, it's a very potent combo due to the auras and summons etc.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
  • Like 2

No idea, I'll have to wait and see what the higher level abilities are like.

That said, I'm leaning towards multiclass Fighter/Rogue since pure Fighters are starved for choices at low levels.

Yeah, something spectacular might cause me to change my mind, but it would have to be epic.

Re: single-class fighters, I must have a different build than you ;)

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

If Eder was the only fighter in your party, I could see where a straight fighter would be more attractive.

I played him as more of a striker in Pillars and and looking forward to giving him an honest-to-goodness sneak attack, along with goodies like crippling strike, etc. He doesn’t have to have Backstab to make the build viable

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Re: single-class fighters, I must have a different build than you ;)

It's only really at low levels. I don't rate Knock Down or the arm grabby ability (the name escapes me) so at levels 2 and 4 I'm forced to pick passives I don't really want.

and those two abilities are Eders bread and butter in my Pillars playthroughs. My PC is more focused on being a meat shield, so the low level offerings work out pretty well for him.

Knock Down was great in PoE but it's been made a lot worse in Deadfire. I should probably experiment with arm grabbing though.

Me too. I think I tried it once with the default fighter and it missed and I was like GARBAGE ABILITY. HATE IT.

I’ll try it again with more PER :)

• Like 1

I struggle to find use for a rogues in PoE, though I like'm much more in Deadfire than I did in PoE1. 

My Eder, will probably do the same think he did in majority of my PoE1 playthroughs - get hit in the face a lot. Give him shield and some other weapon (considering mace this time for -1AR debuff). Use "pull" to protect backline, charge and kockdown for interupts (if charge will actually work in final build:-). 

I am aiming for single class first run, though I am tempted to multiclass Pallegina with a chanter.

Knock Down was great in PoE but it's been made a lot worse in Deadfire. I should probably experiment with arm grabbing though.

It’s great against things that we’re trying to cast spells a second ago, but are dazed now, and are about to get knocked down then shot in the head with a blunderbuss (and gibbed)

My current plan is to test a swashbuckler shield riposte tank, partly because it looks very strong on paper and partly because the party may need a rogue in there somewhere.

edit: I also plan on doing Pallegina as a Paladin / Chanter, it's a very potent combo due to the auras and summons etc.

I'm also leaning toward this path for Eder, Riposte seems to be a great addition to tantalize using a shield instead of dual sabres . However correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Pallegina pre set multiclass option Paladin Kind Wayfarers/Five Suns and Priest?

I'm also leaning toward this path for Eder, Riposte seems to be a great addition to tantalize using a shield instead of dual sabres . However correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Pallegina pre set multiclass option Paladin Kind Wayfarers/Five Suns and Priest?
Paladin/chanter, paladin/fighter, or single class paladin. Kind Wayfarers depends on PoE outcomes

Probably straight Fighter. I'm gonna bury that dude in passives.

Riposte swashbuckler is tempting, though, depending on how Riposte ends up at launch. Confounding Blind is also really nice and I can't find room for it in my Mindstalker build.

Edited by Cheston

Same as PoE 1, pure fighter god mode tank with a greatsword. Will probably get the shield out for dragon fights though.

I'm more worried about Pallegina... want to go pure paladin but don't know if I can get decent damage out of her if she has the same stats from the first game. Any suggestions? Maybe try and pump accuracy and go with single weapon crit build?

• Like 1

I'll be running a fighter/rogue with a greatsword on my first run of Deadfire, so I kind of feel like I want Eder to be a pure fighter. Maybe a tank with a shield, but I don't know if it'll be less passive in Deadfire than it was in Pillars. Or I can make him a pure rogue and my Watcher's DPS buddy.

Edited by MortyTheGobbo

Would be much more inclined to multiclass him if subclasses were allowed. Unless one of the other characters turns out to be a better tank (will Pallegina still be held back by stats?) his default build will just be fighter tank so I can get resistances as fast as possible. (Maybe use scrolls with the +1 power level stance?)

Edited by SaruNi
  • Like 1