First time player path of the damned?

Finally started playing the game this week since I got a free steam gift card.

Should I play PotD or hard for a first time? I'm thinking of going with a wizard build.

I have extensive experience with the old nwn1 and nwn2 games from a decade ago, and in my youth, I could calculate cross class saving throws in my sleep.

The newer BioWare games like the DA series never captured my interest though I finished the first two on nightmare.

Btw the what is it with builds lowering stats to 3? I never dumped a stay in nwn below 8.

Should I play PotD or hard for a first time? I'm thinking of going with a wizard build.

I have extensive experience with the old nwn1 and nwn2 games from a decade ago, and in my youth, I could calculate cross class saving throws in my sleep.

The newer BioWare games like the DA series never captured my interest though I finished the first two on nightmare.

Btw the what is it with builds lowering stats to 3? I never dumped a stay in nwn below 8.

I'd recommend asking this question on Pillars boards rather than the Deadfire boards (or asking a mod to move this). That said I'll answer your questions quickly.

If you're okay with a fairly steep learning curve I'd say start on PotD. Hard gets too easy too quickly and whilst you'll have a tough time whilst you learn the mechanics and strategies necessary for PotD, at least it'll remain challenging for longer.

As for dumping stats: I never drop them below 8 and have no problems. A very useful thing to remember is stats don't matter anywhere near as much in PoE as they do in things like NWN or BG2. If you see a build you like the look of with dumped stats you can probably modify it without any real difficulties.

For starters, attributes have linear scaling, pretty much like third edition D&D.

There are some dialogue/interaction options that are available if you have high attributes. Typically conversation is about int/per/res but might can sometimes be used for threatening people. Dex and con see limited use, but more in scripted interactions.

The two important parts to note are that there's no interaction penalty for having super low stats. They will still take your threats seriously with 3 might, if there was no might requirement to begin with for the threat. Secondly, no matter how you distribute your stats, you'll gain just as much to your saving throws. Take out of con for might? Lose fortitude in con, gain it again in might. Take out of both con and might for perception and dexterity? Your fortitude will tank but your reflex will skyrocket.

As far as defenses go it's just about which ones you want. There isn't a stat distribution that gives you more defenses than another (assuming you actually spend all your points), with the one exception being that resolve gives/costs you deflection as well as will. So the "defensivest" build has max resolve, but I assure you we don't go around maxing resolve on all our characters. I guess you've already seen some 3 resolve ones posted ;)

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I'd recommend asking this question on Pillars boards rather than the Deadfire boards (or asking a mod to move this). That said I'll answer your questions quickly.

If you're okay with a fairly steep learning curve I'd say start on PotD. Hard gets too easy too quickly and whilst you'll have a tough time whilst you learn the mechanics and strategies necessary for PotD, at least it'll remain challenging for longer.

As for dumping stats: I never drop them below 8 and have no problems. A very useful thing to remember is stats don't matter anywhere near as much in PoE as they do in things like NWN or BG2. If you see a build you like the look of with dumped stats you can probably modify it without any real difficulties.

Stats do matter, but in a different way from BG2 and even NWN. BG2 stats didn't matter unless they were at certain critical thresholds or you were a specific class (basically all non-casters could dump wisdom, charisma, and intellect, strength under 16 was pretty much indistinguishable aside from carry weight and then you could get a bag of holding). 3e/NWN is a bit better but it was still a case where some stats were basically useless for certain classes. Stats in PoE generally always matter, but they are structured in a way that it's very hard to get a "trap build" i.e. a completely unviable character. Path of the Damned is a little bit more punishing so it is possible to create characters that are more readily to unviable (a fighter that has dumped con and resolve is one example I could think of), so you have to be a bit more considerate about your stat choices. But you can always respec your main character aside from your race, so if you think you messed up your stats you can pay some money and try again.

Yeah, what I meant by them not mattering anywhere near as much was that, for example, if you see a character build which has Might 20, and you play it with Might 16 it's not going to be all that noticeably worse and you'll be able to beat the game (even on PotD) just fine.

I didn't mean that they don't matter at all, a good way to see that they do is to compare Durance to a player character Priest with high Dexterity. The player is massively faster at casting which is very handy for a Priest. That said, Durance can still get the job done.

If you are greatly experiences with those games and feel you were good at them, if you like reading and will hover over every attribute, skill description, buff, debuff, item, etc etc to know what they actually mean in terms of math; play Path of the Damned. Otherwise, if you're just good at this kind of game but aren't that into the systems and prefer to wing it, play hard.

Dropping stats to 3 is just for certain super minmaxed builds. It's never remotely necessary even with solo challenge runs. Talents and equipment matter more than stats in this game.

• Like 1

Moved to Pillars I General discussion forum (no spoilers in theory in that forum, which I thought would be the best choice as you haven't played the game yet).

Edit: apparently I moved it to the wrong forum - hold on.... :(

Edit part II: Thanks to gfted1 for fixing the move.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'd recommend hard for your first run, though you may end up restarting and switching to PoTD halfway through.  Eventually, with a full party, the game becomes easy even on PoTD once you know what you're doing.

As touched on before, dumping a stat to 3 is usually for specific min-maxed builds.  Generally a stat is dumped to 3 if it doesn't impact the build much and the points can be better used elsewhere.  In The Anvil, for example, your damage comes from retaliation and spamming a full-attack ability, so attack speed (and therefore DEX) becomes irrelevant.

It's not that hard. The most important thing to know going into PotD is that accuracy is the most important stat but there's lots of ways to get it for yourself and to take it away from enemies. buffs and debuffs are mandatory. Can't just ignore them as fluff like you might in other RPGs.