Deadfire Dev Q&A, April 2nd!

It's clear you care about making Deadfire more accessible for modders and that has already born fruit in the beta. One thing that is almost always one of the most difficult if not impossible things to change in games is the interface, how difficult/viable would you say it is to mod interface screens or the HUD in Deadfire?

Lore question:

What is the difference between kith and animal soul? The unsuccessful “Salvation” suggests that animal souls are incompatible with kith body, however Persoq and previous elder from Saganis village both get reborn as animals. Do souls change depending on what body they inhabit? Do animals receive only souls which were so fractured that they are not fit for more complex beings? Is it possible that my Watcher was a ferret in his previous incarnation?

• Like 8

(Spoilery) Lore question related to the White March and to the metaphysics of souls:

How come some of the Dwarves in Durgan's Battery came back as Spirits whereas others became Vessels (i.e. the skeletal Battery Guards)?

• Like 1

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

Okay, lore questions: does the term “maeg” in maegfolc refer to the “might” of those people, or is it being used in the sense of “kinsman” or “kinswoman,” setting up a dichotomy between “kith” and “kin.” Also, to clarify, eoten and ogres are merely “wilders” and not maegfolc, right?

Are the Ethik Nôl a remnant of a system of religious practices that predate the dominance of the Engwithan pantheon? If so, are their practices representative of the types of behaviors that causes deep concern for the Engwithans?

• Like 2

- Will all Godlikes have 2 racials? One inline with those of other races; and a second one - scalling down from zero, and compensting for the locked head slot?

- Will it be possible to mod and add custom sidekicks with banter?

- Afflictions in PoE1 provided a much bigger defense malus. It was handy for debilitators to soothe the targets before throwing heavy-damage. Why was this changed?

- (Lore question) When characters cast - they use the might of their soul, right? Does casting consume it, making soul weaker? How does this work?

Edited by MaxQuest
  • Like 3

Lore question:

What is the difference between kith and animal soul? The unsuccessful “Salvation” suggests that animal souls are incompatible with kith body, however Persoq and previous elder from Saganis village both get reborn as animals. Do souls change depending on what body they inhabit? Do animals receive only souls which were so fractured that they are not fit for more complex beings? Is it possible that my Watcher was a ferret in his previous incarnation?

This is just a guess but it could be that Animancers didn't have the precision that the wheel has. Maybe because the wheel is a natural thing, it can shape souls to the exact specifications needed for the next host, where as Animancers are just stuffing dog souls in kids bodies.

-As far as I understood playing PoE all casters use the power of souls to cast spells, but the power used is from their souls or from "latent" souls in the air? I reckon that chanters use that power for their songs but why their invocations aren't only spirits, like "ghosts"? How can they summon creatures of flesh and bone?

-Silly one, are there bikes in Eora? Which culture invented them?

Edited by Daled
  • Like 2

What did the delay allowed you to do, that you would have struggled to accomplish without it ?

Can you quickly elaborate, & present us the sort of things you've been able to add/polish ?

Was it centered around mechanics ? Optimization ? Paintings/Drawings Enhancements, that kind of stuff ? [i'd presume all]

PS : For exemple, I noticed you took the time to enhance the world map's "Town/City" drawings, throughout various Beta Builds.

From Neketaka being Black & White, Tikawara was just a simple hut, now a nice looking Village. That's Cool   :)

Can you talk a little bit about that ? Thank you  :thumbsup:

EDIT : Typos & Very Bad English :p

Edited by DexGames
  • Like 2

Can we see (or hear) something more about the music of the game? Soundtrack is an important aspect and we need more updates about Justin.

We're supposed to get more information on the audio of the game in Update #46.

ETA: Soon™.

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

According to this Josh's tumblr post about Deadfire changes single class rogues are rather weak dps-ers compared to other classes and/or combinations of classes. Will single class rogues get a buff for some of their abilities, or two ability points per level for single classes across the board is all they gonna get?

• Like 2

Whilst playing the first game I found myself quite sad in numerous moments, even though Hiravias and Kana's dialogues can be quite cheerful, the companions and story of the first game were depressing, will Deadfire provide us with moments of joy? A good and mundaine talk with our party members? A night in the tavern? Perhaps some jokes? A funny quest that will not end with the death of a little kid?

• Like 1

Lore/appearance question:

In POE1 it was established that only pale elves could have beards, for wood elves facial hair options were disabled. Why then in POE2 beta wood elves can have beards? Is it a retcon or something you forgot to disable?

• Like 1

Any armor cathegory based passives (for example, faster movement speed and lesser chance to get crit hit while wearing only light armor)? Loved those in New Vegas, helped to shape the character quite a bit.

And now the biggest one: How many portraits does Pallegina have?

Is it intended that a Druid's Wildstrike attacks don't have the relevant elemental keyword (e.g. "Key word: Fire") and therefore don't benefit from the penetration bonus from elemental talents? Same with lash weapons, Firebrand, etc.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Question: Will there be fist weapons in Deadfire? Something a monk can equip in a weapon slot that works together with their unarmed attacks and provides some bonus, like extra dmg, on hit effect, or added dmg type maybe? Finding new gear is fun and it's a shame monk players don't get to look forward to finding a new weapon the same way others players do. I know monks can use other weapons but the fists are just so cool :)

Is there the chance of failed romances or rejections in the game? I wana make the game as realistic as possible . Maybe companions could have set preferences, like Aloth is never interested in women, or Maia Rua only likes Orlans.

It will be possible to mod the game so that we can have the 6 party members back? If so it would be bad for the programming? e.g: dialogues of the sixth member would not trigger because the game would not recognize they.

• Like 1