What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Don't worry until you're 40. Statistically speaking you have fewer days before you than behind you at 40. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'm working on a mod for OOTP Baseball with a few others. The game includes every major, minor, independent, and negro league team from 1880 to modern day. But they only have logos, caps and uniforms for the 2018 season. So we are making logos, caps, and uniforms for every team, every season in the game from 1880 to 2017. 

Talk about biting off more than you can chew. But spending a lot of time on google trying to find pics and old newspaper articles on what these things actually looked like has been interesting to say the least. Check out this picture I found of the Bend Rainbows. Bottom row, 2nd player from the right. That's Kurt Russel!

141895.jpg?w=615  

• Like 3

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Bend Rainbows sounds like a prog rock album.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

:lol:  Minor league baseball has had some weird team names over the years. That one doesn't even make the top 10!

Thomas Sowell

I'm working on a mod for OOTP Baseball with a few others. The game includes every major, minor, independent, and negro league team from 1880 to modern day. But they only have logos, caps and uniforms for the 2018 season. So we are making logos, caps, and uniforms for every team, every season in the game from 1880 to 2017.

Not ambitious are you?  I think there's like 42 defunct 'major league' baseball teams from 1880-1896, including minor and independent ...yikes!

Do you have a source for logos, caps and uniforms?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Not ambitious are you?  I think there's like 42 defunct 'major league' baseball teams from 1880-1896, including minor and independent ...yikes!

Do you have a source for logos, caps and uniforms?

This site has been a big help: http://www.logoserver.com/Baseball.html

The folks over at Chris Creamer's site www.sportslogos.net have gathered quite a few. This is another great source: http://funwhileitlasted.net/

Plus OOTP has been around for almost 20 years now so finding major league teams already done is no biggie. It's just trying to line up dates and format the images for the game as it is today. Negro leagues are a little harder. The older ones at least. The famous teams like the KC Monarchs, Pittsburgh Crawfords, NY Black Yankees are easy. Tons of pics because lots of famous players were on those clubs. The Ocean Springs Keys were a much bigger challenge. I found a roster from 1921 and started searching for pics of the players and I found one: 

Brother%20Wallace%20and%20children.jpg

His name was Joe Wallace and all I know about him is he played INF for the Keys and he hit .302 in 1921. But I did get an idea what their uniforms looked like. There is something quite cool about digging up history like that though.

Minor leagues are even harder pre-1950. In 1948 there were over 200 professional minor league teams on 42 circuits in the US. Most were unaffiliated. I've come to realize few even HAD logos and many didn't even have "official" uniforms. That kind of marketing didn't exist in the minors until the '60's. So in those cases you just make something up or take a WAG. Some teams are easy. The Buffalo Bisons, Rochester Red Wings, Syracuse Chiefs, and Chattanooga Lookouts have all been around since the '30's so there is plenty to find. They haven't been around every season since the '30's but most of them they fielded a team. But the Charleston Chasox only played one season: 1959. Other than a few box scores a short article in Baseball Reference this is the only image I ever found:

e557c590a4f5ba0cc74e992ed97c69f8.jpg

It's similar to the White Sox logo from the early 50's so I used that and changed the colors. 

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

Once we finish this (if we ever do) we're going to take a swing at the NPB in Japan & LMB in Mexico. The former should be easy. It only goes back to the '40's. The latter... going to be a lot of WAGs. 

Thomas Sowell

You & the group you're working with may already have found these (or other sources) but...

Southern League (early Atlanta uniforms): https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/sports-outdoor-recreation/southern-league

Minor Leagues in GA: https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/sports-outdoor-recreation/minor-league-baseball

Atlanta Crackers:https://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/articles/sports-outdoor-recreation/atlanta-crackers

Atlanta Crackers (mostly 50s era): http://album.atlantahistorycenter.com/cdm/landingpage/collection/PhoJourn

Atlanta Black Crackers: https://sabr.org/research/atlanta-black-crackers

Atlanta Black Crackers (video):

Atlanta Crackers and Black Crackers (video):

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Thanks! The Georgia State League and Georgia-Alabama League are on my "to do" list.

Thomas Sowell

Black Crackers :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I used to occasionally have something mildly interesting to say in this thread. Now I don't even have cat stories.

I think hubby is delaying a "real vacation" because he knows there's a 90% chance of me running out to get a cat as soon as we get back. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

its not that bad... after all, every birthday you celebrate is one less year left to live

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Just don't think about it. No one of is is immortal and you can't stop whats coming. Just live your life and be happy. Don't deprive yourself of the things you like. If you want a Coke then have one. Sure it's not healthy so don't have two. You want a drink of good booze have one, or two but not three. If you have three have none tomorrow. That kind of thing. Cook really good meals, but not really big meals. Those angry people out there who deny themselves enjoyment as if it were some virtue and insist we do the same will end up in the same 6x6 we all will.  

Like Samuel Butler once wrote "Let us eat and drink neither forgetting death unduly nor remembering it. The Lord hath mercy on whom he will have mercy, and the less we think about it the better.”

• Like 2

Thomas Sowell

I just now made an account for the Obsidian forums.

Hello everyone.

Hello, get an avatar.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

I just now made an account for the Obsidian forums.

Hello everyone.

Greetings :) Welcome to the forums 

Can I borrow money from you, maybe $2000 and I should be fine ?

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Don't fall for that one Gritino. Bruce never pays you back!

• Like 3

Thomas Sowell

Don't fall for that one Gritino. Bruce never pays you back!

:biggrin:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I'm about ready to buy a 1TB SSD. One, because "I can" and two, because I'm tired of the tiny loading hitches in XV. The frame-pacing/fps is fine ... it's just those little micro-second loading hitchings as you, say, run overground for long distances or enemies drop onto your head. Doesn't happen constantly/always but it's there. Loading screen times are ok/don't really other me, hitching does.

Also, then I can use the HDD for another internal storage drive. Win/win.

Hope everyone in the US is having a nice 3-day weekend. After a bit o' unseasonal rain, it's cleared up and is very nice here again. Good day to go ... shopping! :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

at least its not like Black Desert Online where even with the game on an SSD and all graphics at low, objects still fail to load before you reach them and often you can find yourself stuck inside a large tree while riding a fast horse because the engine decided to load the tree while you were passing through it without knowing its there.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

I'm in London for a college class. Getting annoyed at my fellow classmates already though. I just really hate drinking and shopping, and thats all these guys want to do outside of class. Anyone got some interesting places to go in the next to weeks that are not super touristy?