What did you do today?

Blarghagh

Nearly hit both record low and record high temperatures today. It was almost freezing this morning, and then a heat wave came in and got it up to the 90s, and then another cold front came in and now it's storming. Thanks Obama.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Just finished Deadfire so right now I'm having the obligatory existensial crisis. The soothing sounds of Weens The Mollusk are somewhat calm to my senses but they cannot possibly overwhelm the dread in my soul.

• Like 3

Dank Memes for Dank Spores.

Ahh, the classic "finished watching/reading/playing something really good and I'm trying to come to grips with my life again now" syndrome. Always a bittersweet feeling - one that I love, but don't feel near often anymore.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Dog had surgery and it went well, tough boy is wanting to come home already

• Like 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Finished my first 48 hour fast, my goal of 180 by the end of June should be easy to hit if I stay good about sticking to my macros and not neglecting cardio.

That aside, anyone have any good fantasy works that aren't Tolkien? Need some inspiration for a DnD campaign I'm doing, fresh outta ideaa outside of putting it in pathfinder and having a general theme surrounding the occult.

Just finished Deadfire so right now I'm having the obligatory existensial crisis. The soothing sounds of Weens The Mollusk are somewhat calm to my senses but they cannot possibly overwhelm the dread in my soul.

the first time i remember having a sensation like that was when i watched Chrono Crusade. the ending was so sad that i felt depressed for a couple of days

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Finished my first 48 hour fast, my goal of 180 by the end of June should be easy to hit if I stay good about sticking to my macros and not neglecting cardio.

That aside, anyone have any good fantasy works that aren't Tolkien? Need some inspiration for a DnD campaign I'm doing, fresh outta ideaa outside of putting it in pathfinder and having a general theme surrounding the occult.

I'm a bit curious what type of nutrition system you are using that has you fasting? Were you doing shakes?

Dog had surgery and it went well, tough boy is wanting to come home already

Great to hear that! Give him plenty of love. :)

Oh yeah everyone will. I suspect he's a bit of a bastard and will try to milk it, but he is old so will give him the benefit of the doubt.  Apparently he's making himself  A Big Deal at the vet's office by demanding every woman he sees comes to him. 

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm a bit curious what type of nutrition system you are using that has you fasting? Were you doing shakes?

Snake diet. Increasing fasting over time until you hit your weight, then do OMAD. And protein shakes are a sham my dude.

Uh, that doesn't sound sustainable. Ketogenic diets are an interesting way to go about nutrition, but I would be careful with that.

As for shakes being a sham, I'd probably agree if your intention is to lose weight. Personally I tend to use them just to get some nutrients into my stomach before an early morning workout, because solids are too hard to process. Really it's about finding what your body responds well to and what you can maintain as a lifestyle change. 

Or if you're like me and have celiac disease, shakes are an easy way of *getting* enough calories (because while eating a more paleo diet is good enough for feeling like you eat enough, it's often too calorie light to actually be sustainable unless you like eating giants amounts of food, which I do not).

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

Listening to far too much gangsta rap today

• Like 1

Or if you're like me and have celiac disease, shakes are an easy way of *getting* enough calories (because while eating a more paleo diet is good enough for feeling like you eat enough, it's often too calorie light to actually be sustainable unless you like eating giants amounts of food, which I do not).

My sis never has had that problem. Is it hard to get celiac free foodstuffs where you're at?

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I guess it depends on what kind of food you eat and how much time you like to spend on preparing it. I was fortunate to grow up with Asian cooking (i.e. everything goes on rice), and so that makes it somewhat easier. I've always been a very light eater, though, and it's difficult to get enough calories in other meals when most "easy" calories are totally off-limits. Have to prepare all your own food all the time, and you have to shell out for a lot of things to get them gluten-free (such as any kind of noodles...and many things that don't naturally contain gluten are cross-contaminated due to wheat and barley being pretty much omnipresent in the American food industry). I was only recently diagnosed (...after a couple years of being sickly and unable to maintain a healthy weight - too skinny), and so I am admittedly still struggling to adjust. The easiest thing to fill up on are vegetables and fruits, but they (especially vegetables) just don't have great calorie density at the amount I would prefer to eat (like I said, I'm a light eater).

(e): Oh, and it doesn't help that I never have much of an appetite to begin with. I'm shooting for like just 1300-1500 calories a day, and I'm finding that even that's rather difficult.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Yeah, I could probably use a better nutrition plan. I mean my weight is good and all, but I'm trying to build towards Ironman distance events, and I know I'm going to have issues with my stomach as I get into the longer training days. Right now I basically live off yogurt, granola, and sandwiches. I probably need to get more regular with fruits, veggies, and maybe brown rice. I don't know, it's tough because I also have to make sure the rest of the family is getting fed. 

Yeah, my nutrition my entire life has been pretty terrible. No presence of junk food is about all I can say, but I've basically never eaten any vegetables (besides peppers) and I've always been pretty light on fruit, too. Part of the problem is that I've always been an extremely picky eater, and that's partially because I just have the worst taste buds in the world, and also because I find a lot of textures really disgusting (e.g. any kind of cooked vegetable - but raw vegetables I've discovered are a different story). It's been...interesting trying to re-examine how to eat, and figuring out how to best integrate things that I have long ignored.

• Like 2

Well it's never too late to change it up. It's good that you are doing it too. A lot of people develop their eating habits in their youth and then never adjust them when their metabolism and other things change. You can't live like you did in your twenties forever. :p

• Like 1

I'll die if I don't, so I don't have much of a choice. ...Well, I guess I could choose to ignore all medical advice and keep eating gluten, but that'll definitely be even more unpleasant and probably kill me eventually.

I got drunk and ended up watching Atlanta instead of meeting with a girl I've been texting. A wise decision imo.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

My main health problem is I dislike exercising and I no longer do/care about many activities that keep me "active". I mean I try to at least do a minimum, but I don't do anywhere near enough, especially for my aging self. I'd rather just sit in a chair in my comfy house doing sitting-down things.  Pffft.

I also much prefer raw vegies. Or at least, barely cooked ones. Like tossing vegies in a pan with a tiny bit of oil/garlic and tossing it over heat for 2-3 minutes. They have to still have texture. Mushy vegies are just ick.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

My main health problem is I dislike exercising and I no longer do/care about many activities that keep me "active". I mean I try to at least do a minimum, but I don't do anywhere near enough, especially for my aging self. I'd rather just sit in a chair in my comfy house doing sitting-down things.  Pffft.

I also much prefer raw vegies. Or at least, barely cooked ones. Like tossing vegies in a pan with a tiny bit of oil/garlic and tossing it over heat for 2-3 minutes. They have to still have texture. Mushy vegies are just ick.

Start working out, once you get into it you won't stop. The only reason I haven't freed myself from musclefat hell yet is because I hate cardio and have carbohydrates with every meal.

Uh, that doesn't sound sustainable. Ketogenic diets are an interesting way to go about nutrition, but I would be careful with that.

As for shakes being a sham, I'd probably agree if your intention is to lose weight. Personally I tend to use them just to get some nutrients into my stomach before an early morning workout, because solids are too hard to process. Really it's about finding what your body responds well to and what you can maintain as a lifestyle change. 

I don't mean fasting to an infinite degree. More like getting up to three days at a time and staying there until I hit my goal. I've got a couple friends who are the same body type as I am and it worked out well for them, so I see no harm in giving it a go.

Start working out, once you get into it you won't stop.

No, and no. I used to be in pretty good shape, biked, hiked, danced, blah blah. But I've never ever liked "working out" even when I had a routine. And I never will.  I'll pedal on my little machine 20 minutes a day, take a walk sometimes, and do arm/knee exercises a few times a week. Anything more is unlikely for anything more than a few days in a row. :p

Besides.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts