Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Politics Thread: Edge of Seventeen

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
665 replies to this topic

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9333 posts

BUILD WALL THROUGH M!

LCQuglO.gif

• Malcador and Katphood like this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ornia-1.4603582

Female shooter, that's new

She looked like a young Pat Benatar!

YouTube Shooter Made Contact With Local Police ...Hours Before Shooting.

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Given that she 'looks foriegn' and 'looks non-white', plus 'non-english sounding name', I can already see people shouting 'MUSLIM TERRORIST!' just because the name sounds arabic. Though the last name sounds more Indian to me.

Still, religion clearly had nothing to do with what was going on here. She apparently had grievances against Youtube for blocking her videos for some reason or other, and the site that was shown, shows her as an animal welfare activist.

injurai

injurai

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2303 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Given that she 'looks foriegn' and 'looks non-white', plus 'non-english sounding name', I can already see people shouting 'MUSLIM TERRORIST!' just because the name sounds arabic. Though the last name sounds more Indian to me.

Still, religion clearly had nothing to do with what was going on here. She apparently had grievances against Youtube for blocking her videos for some reason or other, and the site that was shown, shows her as an animal welfare activist.

The cyberpunk future is becoming more real by the minute.

Drowsy Emperor

Drowsy Emperor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2425 posts

They should have seen this coming: bodybuilder, vegan, animal rights activist... 

Edited by Drowsy Emperor, 04 April 2018 - 07:28 AM.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yeah, I think she was just a run-of-the-mill wackadoo who felt she was being "unfairly treated" by YouTube because they classified her videos as age restricted. 

They should have seen this coming: bodybuilder, vegan, animal rights activist...

So...many...triggers. :lol:

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Aw crap, I just read that she used a handgun. Now were going to have to suffer through staring deeply into our navels about the banning of handguns. Maybe even trot out a sad looking, shaved head, victim. :yes:

smjjames

smjjames

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Aw crap, I just read that she used a handgun. Now were going to have to suffer through staring deeply into our navels about the banning of handguns. Maybe ever trot ouy a sad looking, shaved head, victim. :yes:

Were it a red state, she'd have an AK-15, because California gun laws.

*cue another circular debate on gun laws, etc*

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7782 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Always find it curious how people get uppity over anyone else protesting literally anything. 

Also, it'd be an AR-15.  But really a handgun is more ideal to shoot up a place with, easier to conceal and not like you really need the penetrative power of a rifle round.  Ammo maybe but can always go Il Duce and carry 6 guns :p

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
And if this were the Congo, she would have had a spear? Why do you want to ban spears? What about legitimate spear fishermen?

I always find it curious how people protest literally anything. Are whiners more disposed to continual whining? Perhaps genetically?

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7782 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

And if this were the Congo, she would have had a spear? Why do you want to ban spears? What about legitimate spear fishermen?

I always find it curious how people protest literally anything. Are whiners more disposed to continual whining? Perhaps genetically?

Uh, not sure if you've followed the news over the past decades, but in the Congo, it'd be an AK-47/M/74 or a FAL perhaps.  :p

As for protesting anything, that's not always whining.  But some get upset for protests about things that aren't frivolous,  I get some see the world ending as their nose, but is always curious to me.  Same reaction to anyone going on strike, general reaction is one of disdain for them.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Where you see protesters as world fixers, I see them as whiney attention seekers. :shrugz: Especially the ones that weren't even diretly injured; "I was within three hallways of a shooting. Me scars are everlasting!"

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

outgoing national security adviser h.r. mcmaster addresses atlantic council. perceptive. reflective. erudite.

mcmaster's version o' the two-finger salute.

snippet for the ADD crowd.

and

as an aside, am wondering what is the betting odds on mattis keeping his job for the rest of the year. most insiders suggest mattis is safe, but is gonna be strange for him as a near singular outlier 'mongst the trump wh personalities.

HA! Good Fun!

• Leferd and Agiel like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7782 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Where you see protesters as world fixers, I see them as whiney attention seekers. :shrugz: Especially the ones that weren't even diretly injured; "I was within three hallways of a shooting. Me scars are everlasting!"

Ok, speaking up is whining, no exceptions.

• Lexx likes this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1757 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

Aw crap, I just read that she used a handgun. Now were going to have to suffer through staring deeply into our navels about the banning of handguns. Maybe even trot out a sad looking, shaved head, victim. :yes:

​How do you feel about people protesting about protesting, out of curiosity? :lol:

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Were whiners too!

Oh snap, I'm about to trigger myself aren't I?
  • Malcador likes this

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Its things like this I'm talking about:

Parkland student shot five times protecting his classmates says he’s not a hero.

Meanwhile, the likes of Gonzales and Hogg cant get enough of the sound of their own voices.

• injurai likes this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7720 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

am not certain why perceived whiners would bother a person.  a bunch o' teens who sudden get asked their opinion by national news outlets in the wake o' a tragedy?  not surprising such kids give an opinion, eh?  those victims then feel as if they matter and can make a difference by sharing their views?  not surprising when such dewy-eyed kids try and make a difference... and good for them.  we want kids to believe they can make a difference.  is frequent the only generation which can make a difference is the one which doesn't realize they is unreasonable or ignorant.  good on them.

*shrug*

Gromnir is free to embrace or reject the opinions o' any given speaker.  a parkland survivor, in our estimation, has no special insight regarding gun control.  if cletus dunwoody's truck were hit by a small meteorite as he drove home from his wednesday night bowling league, we sure wouldn't think cletus has special insights regarding astrophysics or the great celestial tapestry. carl sagan, on the other hand...

parkland survivors as self-appointed pundits regarding gun control?  

*snort*

similar, am not bothered when tv or movie actors offer their opinions 'bout autism or global warming or whatnot.  

what bothers is the ignorant sheep who do give special status to victims, tv celebrities and folks who largely inherited their wealth.   after all, such eye-roll worthy ignorance is how we got trump in the white house.  

HA! Good Fun!

• ShadySands, Bartimaeus and Malcador like this

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7782 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Its things like this I'm talking about:

Parkland student shot five times protecting his classmates says he’s not a hero.

Meanwhile, the likes of Gonzales and Hogg cant get enough of the sound of their own voices.

Ok, so what's the problem ? He said the rote thing anytime calls anyone a hero (when was the last time someone said "yep, I am a hero" when asked that kind of queston :p ) And the other two decide to start a movement of sorts, good for them to not be lazy Internet activists. 

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5892 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hrm, now three people that don't understand why I find whiners to be annoying? I guess I'm just the mayor of Crazytown. :shrugz:

BTW, where does the reach of "victimhood" end? These people weren't even injured. Is just being in the same building a justification? Is everyone that was inside Mandalay Bay while dude was shooting out the window at the concert a victim themselves? I'm pretty sure Ive been within at least 2 city blocks of gunfire, am I a victim?

EDIT: @Malc: The intent of that example was to show the difference between those that do, and those that say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users