Politics Thread: Edge of Seventeen

Blarghagh

Never mind. It's entirely too nice a day for political discussions.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

In Iran, hardliners are burning the deal and the American flag.

Convening in Iran's parliament -- the Majlis -- conservative MPs literally set a copy of the landmark agreement on fire. They also burned the United States flag amid chants of "Death to America."

Bwahahaha, that's more like it! Could you imagine the full body convulsion that would take place worldwide if the US government did that? :lol:

That's the hardliners celebrating the huge political victory Trump dropped on their laps.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

There is no extremist Islam, there is just Islam.

That's just your bigotry talking. Plenty of people say the same thing about Christianity.

Can you make a discussion without resorting to insulting your opponent, Mr. Teacher?

Try making an argument, go on, this will only hurt for a while.

If I hurt your feelings, I apologize.

Edited by Hurlshot

USA: Iran, you can't have teh nukes, you're too much of a global security threat

Russia: dafuk u doing m8??

USA: OMG we aren't technically building more nukes, that's just to make them "safer"!

428629343_b54ed58ac0.jpg

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

That's the hardliners celebrating the huge political victory Trump dropped on their laps.

I see. And what was "won"?

Us breaking our word reinforcing them saying we can't be trusted and whatever else

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I see. And what was "won"?

The treaty was the result of a lot of negotiating between western governments and the Iranian moderates. The more extremist Iranians were always against the agreement, so the US going back on the treaty is a clear sign that the West cannot be trusted and that the moderates were fools to fight against significant internal opposition to it. Trump has essentially given the extremists a huge leg up in the next elections.

Of course, you might say that the moderates are only that in name only, so who cares, but the fact of the matter is that the difference between the two factions is huge, especially when considering Iran's foreign policy.

Heja Sverige!!

Well, yeah, European governments can go ahead and say they'll keep their side of the deal, and that will help somewhat in Iran. What it won't help is NATO and trade relations between the EU and the US. The Trump admin has already potentially given away control of trade relations in the Pacific by scuppering TPP, so this could certainly be a way to fast track the US towards isolationism.

In any case, I personally think that America has already surrendered the driver's seat of international relations to China. It just doesn't know it yet. I dunno, maybe climate change will make all these changes moot. Or maybe China will succumb to its own really serious internal problems. What I do know is that, one way or another, things are going south, and an incompetent idiot narcissist is gleefully helping everything along. MAGA.

Heja Sverige!!

In Iran, hardliners are burning the deal and the American flag.

Convening in Iran's parliament -- the Majlis -- conservative MPs literally set a copy of the landmark agreement on fire. They also burned the United States flag amid chants of "Death to America."

Bwahahaha, that's more like it! Could you imagine the full body convulsion that would take place worldwide if the US government did that? :lol:

That's 15 or what idiots out of 290. Somehow every news article forgets to mention that. But yes, surely they must all be the same, yadda yadda.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I agree that China is in the drivers seat. Those guys just have their s**t together and dgaf what anyone else thinks. I wish we were more like them. :(

Wrt Iran, if they perform that kind of circus while in a parlimentary meeting then I don't have much hope for any "real" agreements anyway. A decade of negotiation got us this deal? Pass.

It's a beginning. You can't have changes over night-- america tried that multiple times and it made things worse, every single time.

PS: Saudi Arabia is not an inch better than Iran, yet they are our "friends" .. lel.

/edit: Trumps circus isn't much better, by the way.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

...isn't Saudi Arabia arguably worse by many measures?

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Yes, and the US didn't even have to sponsor a coup.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

It's a beginning. You can't have changes over night-- america tried that multiple times and it made things worse, every single time.

PS: Saudi Arabia is not an inch better than Iran, yet they are our "friends" .. lel.

Different strokes for different cultures. :shrugz: We would be FAR better off if we stopped judging everyone through the prism of our "Western" cultures. :yes:

Aside, are we really going to delude ourselves into believing that NK can make multiple nukes but poor ole Iran just cant scrape together enough fissile material to build one?

Yes, and the US didn't even have to sponsor a coup.

Yeah, that's yet another thing the Brits can be blamed for.

Arguably it's worse by any measure. Except for using the dollar and buying lots of expensive US made military toys for the shoeless Houthis to blow up while videoing themselves. Albeit some bloke in a bathrobe with two teeth and flip flops blowing up an Abrams with a 60s era malyutka isn't exactly a great sales pitch when trying to convince anyone else to buy.

I guess at least Trump metaphorically set it on fire rather than figuratively, but then he's also the President and Rouhani/ Khamenei weren't doing it, just the Iranian equivalent of deep south Republicans. Certainly a guy with orange spray on tan, day glo hairpiece and a speech impediment theatrically signing a piece of paper while a rapt crowd of his followers applaud after threatening his friends for sticking to the deal is not exactly in the course outline from either diplomacy101 or subtlety101.

There is no extremist Islam, there is just Islam.

That's just your bigotry talking. Plenty of people say the same thing about Christianity.

Can you make a discussion without resorting to insulting your opponent, Mr. Teacher?

Try making an argument, go on, this will only hurt for a while.

This is rich. :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra