Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Beta IV - General Feedback [The Good // The Bad]

Beta Feedback The Good The Bad IV

• Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Are there any other people participating in the Backer Beta getting the impression that PotD in Deadfire seems "easier" than PotD in PoE1?

This has been on my mind for a while because I'm not sure if I fully support the sentiment. I seem to be having a much easier time with fights in the Beta than I would in the first game in a similar level range. I can't help but wonder if this means that difficulty in PoE2 will be more loaded unto the mid- and endgame or that difficulty in general is lower.

Edit: Accidentally a word

Maybe a little but there's increased systems knowledge on our part too. I suspect the fights are actually slightly harder -- for example, I find myself pulling around blind corners more, etc. -- but we're all much better PoE players now, and we've improved more than the game has increased in difficulty. 

• JFutral, TheMetaphysician and Wormerine like this

Gromnir

Gromnir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7731 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

additional bad(s)

obsidian overshot the goldilocks zone insofar as their changes to penetration and cipher focus generation is concerned.

initially penetration were the alpha and omega o' deadfire combat, which were admitted bad.  first beta release forced players to find ways to maximize penetration to the exclusion o' most other factors as, at best, secondary or tertiary concerns.  unfortunate, penetration is a relative negligible factor as of beta 4, which makes armour (friend or foe)  a meaningful consideration for countering overpenetration, and possible for a few as yet unseen boss battles.  yeah, pistols might be non optimal 'gainst a foe with high piercing resistant armour, but even so, pistols, affected by fod or other accuracy and penetration boosting powhaz, makes 'em effective 'gainst all save to most heavily armoured o' foes. works for player armour in a similar fashion as there is little reason to wear heavy armour as medium armour will be enough to prevent overpenetration... though am admitting we believe folks is underusing daze affliction at it significant boosts armour benefits.

focus generation for ciphers has also become comically easy for ciphers.  am s'posing the changes to penetration and to ciphers had a complimentary and additive impact on focus generation.  after the first couple moments o' a combat encounter, a vanilla cipher will have generated considerable focus and will be having little difficulty generating more focus as need be. negligible gameplay impact. 

regardless, as we previous stated, most o' the beta4 game mechanics improvements is not.  customization has ironic suffered as there is now essential passives intermixed between bloat options-- once folks play deadfire and submit their ideal builds we are gonna see more than a little repetition o' a small handful o' passives. the return o' might has given a power up to more than a few multiclasses which didn't actual need such, while genuine op paladins didn't get any real changes to mitigate their dominance. etc.

the game is playable in its current form and is even fun, but btea 4, as a whole, were an overreaction on the part o' obsidian.  a slight nerf to cipher focus generation and/or weapon penetrations as well as addressing paladin opness (at the very least, could return the malus to paladins) should be considered.  

am not expecting any meaningful balance changes by may 8, but obsidian will make balance changes post release, and am hopeful they ain't too reluctant to swing the nerf bat at deadfire, 'cause at the moment, the game needs a southie-style smackdown.

HA! Good fun!

• Insidous and Wormerine like this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I find myself agreeing with Gromnir 

checks pulse

well, about penetration anyway

I think knocking everything at 7 pen or below down 1 will have a secondary effect on  focus anyway.

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy, 15 April 2018 - 08:40 PM.

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There probably won't be another backer beta before release, right?

Alot

Alot

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There probably won't be another backer beta before release, right?

It seems extremely unlikely that were would be another Backer Beta; reallocating developers to prepare a new Beta build would arguably be a waste of resources.

• Wormerine likes this

LampStaple

LampStaple

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Are there any other people participating in the Backer Beta getting the impression that PotD in Deadfire seems "easier" than PotD in PoE1?

This has been on my mind for a while because I'm not sure if I fully support the sentiment. I seem to be having a much easier time with fights in the Beta than I would in the first game in a similar level range. I can't help but wonder if this means that difficulty in PoE2 will be more loaded unto the mid- and endgame or that difficulty in general is lower.

Is...is this really how other people feel? I can't even beat the titan on veteran in deadfire, and I breeze through PoTD in pillars 1. I guess I'm just used to how blatantly overpowered wizards and priests are in pillars 1.

Ashen Rohk

Ashen Rohk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Steam:Twaddlefish
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I know I'm having a lot of fun, which is sorta the point right!? :D

Soulmojo

Soulmojo

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Deadfire Backer

Is...is this really how other people feel? I can't even beat the titan on veteran in deadfire, and I breeze through PoTD in pillars 1. I guess I'm just used to how blatantly overpowered wizards and priests are in pillars 1.

I wouldn't put that much credit into that it is easier, it just feels easier because we became experienced with mechanics and gameplay, we know most of the enemies we face, or if not, at least we can guess with moderate success. If your knowlegde is superficial about the game, then it can and will be difficult.

I remember when I played pillars 1 I spent hours upon hours watching gameplay and guide videos, and read a lot about mechanics untill I understood enough to beat the game with ease.

• Ashen Rohk likes this

Ashen Rohk

Ashen Rohk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • Steam:Twaddlefish
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

^ To add to this the first time I played Pillars 1 on normal I couldn't beat the adra dragon, and now pretty much everything cries before me.

• Soulmojo likes this

Wormerine

Wormerine

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3075 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I did find Deadfire harder as first, as it’s not exactly like PoE1. Once I figure how interrupts work and how to manage time and protect from being interrupted it got much better.

Right now, I find Beta to be at the level of “I need to focus but can win every battle” with exception of Titan whom I have to cheese a bit every time.

gGeorg

gGeorg

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 72 posts

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire – Wizard Solo Triple Crown (BETA) - Part 1

Triple Crown difficulty is: Path of the Damned + Expert mode + Ironman mode + Upscaled

Heijoushin

Heijoushin

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1313 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Don't feel bad, the titan was accidentally over buffed in the last patch. See:
https://forums.obsid...test-bb-update/

Edited by Heijoushin, 17 April 2018 - 02:34 PM.

Clean&Clear

Clean&Clear

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I think it's quite unreliable to judge the difficulty based on the beta, which is an area taken out of context, with your party put in on an arbitrary level with almost no gear at all. Things might be completely different in the full game.

• Skazz and Wormerine like this

urosdot

urosdot

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

Getting Might back is bad... show me one player that  didnt max it in PoE 1.... having 5 companions with maxed might was so borring and we are back at it again...

lunattic

lunattic

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Getting Might back is bad... show me one player that  didnt max it in PoE 1.... having 5 companions with maxed might was so borring and we are back at it again...

Please don't use the ability to create 5 fully customized companions as an argument for removing might. You can fully customize a party to be overpowered for all sorts of different reasons and as such saying might it the problematic factor here is silly. 

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Here, I never maxed it.

• tinysalamander likes this

Farsha

Farsha

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

And I'd say high Dex is better that max Might in POE1. Maxing might was not important at all in POE1 it was relatively easy to get extra dmg in other ways.
Might is stronger in Deadfire than it was in POE1, since it's now multiplicative bonus, but still recovery time (Dex) is more important stat overall to me.

Edited by Farsha, 25 April 2018 - 12:02 AM.

• KDubya and HAWmaro like this

HAWmaro

HAWmaro

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 81 posts

Might in POE1 was not a god stat really, not through the entire game at least. Multiplicative might on the other hand in POE2 am not sure about, That said it's still better than the strength who was opposed to the entire design philosophy of the game.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14913 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

arrow_to_the_orlan.png?dl=1   That guy over there to the left with the yellow background. That notorious min-maxer didn't max MIG all the time. What a victim... ;)

Edited by Boeroer, 25 April 2018 - 01:03 AM.

• M4xw0lf, tinysalamander and urosdot like this

urosdot

urosdot

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 15 posts

Here, I never maxed it.

heheheh nice, was it  13 10 ?  or lets say at 3 ? no? so it safe to say its a primary stat for the game. 

Strength was used differently and i liked it... classic...  and we all love does dont we?:)

Dont get me wrong, i can still play with might np... and i will, we are two weeks away from release after all...  i hope! :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Feedback, The Good, The Bad, IV

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users