Beta IV - General Feedback [The Good // The Bad]

Are there any other people participating in the Backer Beta getting the impression that PotD in Deadfire seems "easier" than PotD in PoE1?

This has been on my mind for a while because I'm not sure if I fully support the sentiment. I seem to be having a much easier time with fights in the Beta than I would in the first game in a similar level range. I can't help but wonder if this means that difficulty in PoE2 will be more loaded unto the mid- and endgame or that difficulty in general is lower.

Edit: Accidentally a word

Is...is this really how other people feel? I can't even beat the titan on veteran in deadfire, and I breeze through PoTD in pillars 1. I guess I'm just used to how blatantly overpowered wizards and priests are in pillars 1.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire – Wizard Solo Triple Crown (BETA) - Part 1

Triple Crown difficulty is: Path of the Damned + Expert mode + Ironman mode + Upscaled

Is...is this really how other people feel? I can't even beat the titan on veteran in deadfire, and I breeze through PoTD in pillars 1. I guess I'm just used to how blatantly overpowered wizards and priests are in pillars 1.

Don't feel bad, the titan was accidentally over buffed in the last patch. See:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96623-so-that-first-engwithan-titan-fight-got-really-hard-impossible-on-path-of-the-damned-with-latest-bb-update/

Edited by Heijoushin

Are there any other people participating in the Backer Beta getting the impression that PotD in Deadfire seems "easier" than PotD in PoE1?

This has been on my mind for a while because I'm not sure if I fully support the sentiment. I seem to be having a much easier time with fights in the Beta than I would in the first game in a similar level range. I can't help but wonder if this means that difficulty in PoE2 will be more loaded unto the mid- and endgame or that difficulty in general is lower.

Edit: Accidentally a word

I think it's quite unreliable to judge the difficulty based on the beta, which is an area taken out of context, with your party put in on an arbitrary level with almost no gear at all. Things might be completely different in the full game.

• Like 2

Getting Might back is bad... show me one player that  didnt max it in PoE 1.... having 5 companions with maxed might was so borring and we are back at it again...

Please don't use the ability to create 5 fully customized companions as an argument for removing might. You can fully customize a party to be overpowered for all sorts of different reasons and as such saying might it the problematic factor here is silly. 

Getting Might back is bad... show me one player that  didnt max it in PoE 1.... having 5 companions with maxed might was so borring and we are back at it again...

And I'd say high Dex is better that max Might in POE1. Maxing might was not important at all in POE1 it was relatively easy to get extra dmg in other ways.

Might is stronger in Deadfire than it was in POE1, since it's now multiplicative bonus, but still recovery time (Dex) is more important stat overall to me.

Edited by Farsha
  • Like 2

Might in POE1 was not a god stat really, not through the entire game at least. Multiplicative might on the other hand in POE2 am not sure about, That said it's still better than the strength who was opposed to the entire design philosophy of the game.

arrow_to_the_orlan.png?dl=1   That guy over there to the left with the yellow background. That notorious min-maxer didn't max MIG all the time. What a victim... ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 3

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Here, I never maxed it.

heheheh nice, was it  13 10 ?  or lets say at 3 ? no? so it safe to say its a primary stat for the game. 

Strength was used differently and i liked it... classic...  and we all love does dont we?:)

Dont get me wrong, i can still play with might np... and i will, we are two weeks away from release after all...  i hope! :)

arrow_to_the_orlan.png?dl=1   That guy over there to the left with the yellow background. That notorious min-maxer didn't max MIG all the time. What a victim... ;)

im the victim!!! not letting me dump strength in a rpg is a crime against humanity.:)

• Like 1

While everyone here is mocking the post, I think it is true that Might is a more balanced stats in PoE 1, it's a good dps stats for those without damage bonus, and can be left 10 for classes like rogues. However, Might is too important in DF so if you are a min-maxer, it's a bad design because noone would not max it. I like PoE1 type better, it also nerf those one-shot build like assassin/bleakwalker if might is an additive.

What they had done with STR/RES was not the solution. MaxQuest has good proposals to balance MIG—I would on board with those.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

While everyone here is mocking the post, I think it is true that Might is a more balanced stats in PoE 1, it's a good dps stats for those without damage bonus, and can be left 10 for classes like rogues. However, Might is too important in DF so if you are a min-maxer, it's a bad design because noone would not max it. I like PoE1 type better, it also nerf those one-shot build like assassin/bleakwalker if might is an additive.

Yep, Might is more important now than it was in POE1. I think that it was Obsidians response to critique that stats effects on gameplay are underwhelming.

It might even be too strong now, and you are right every min-maxer will max it now, it's just too good as multiplicative bonus.

Neverthelss I still think that for anything armored Dex is still #1 stat though, as characters get really slow now with heavier armors.

We'll get max Mig, max Dex and 3 Res, for most min/max meta builds. Which is a shame. Not gonna do it myself but lot of "pro"gamers will for sure. 

Edited by Farsha

Mock away...:) but remember me, every time you will click on that +Might button.. If i had a buck for every click on Might, i could make a rpg...:)

• Like 2

I'm not going to argue that might isn't by far the most important stat in the current state of the game. I will put forth the assertion that perception is probably the second most important barring a great need to make up for armor speed penalty that is. Most of the heavy hitting right now is done stacking one shot abilities and/or critical hits which benefit more from the accuracy than from repetitiveness. I'm not saying there aren't cases where dexterity would be more important to a build, just that in most cases right now it's not. I've also found that a few points in con makes a slightly bigger difference than PoE in part because the armor penalties are so restrictive that robes are the go to source of protection.

Quite. Especially because the exception is never communicated in any way.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus