Let’s make Deadfire UI the bestest it can be

A Tyranny-style ability to pin a specific enemies info on the screen would be *exquisite*. I use that constantly in my playthroughs of Tyranny, and it would be really great to see it in Deadfire.

New beta brought some much needed improvements to interface - some expected and some surprising. As such I wanted to make a list of stuff, which I think would enhance it even further.

1) Access to skill tree view from character screen. Why, oh why Obsidian have you put so much work into a clearer way of presenting skill trees and yet you insist on keeping it hidden behind levelling up? A button on character screen that would allow us to see the full skill tree would be very handy.

2) Bonus information before one gives an order in ship combat ok, stop move gives +20accuracy, move -5evasion. How about giving access to information before making a move. Adding that to tool tips is a must. In addition do turns now always take two moves? Is there a chance to fail and prolong the manoeuvre? What is this chance?

3) Hold to move in smart camera I adore the smart camera - it’s something I thought would be cool to add but didn’t expect to see. To make exploring even smoother would it be possible to add “hold to move” option like in ship view? Naturally there is a bit of a conflict as both mouse buttons already fill and important role with LMB being used for boxing and RMB for setting a direction your formation is facing. However, a toggle to replace the RMB with “hold to move” would be great for city movement over longer distances.

EDIT:

4) Ability to disable quest/enemy difficulty markers in “expert” options

EDIT2:

5) Greyout unusable spells in equipped Grimoire you pick spells on lvlup, you pick subclasses. That means some Grimoires are more useful than others. It would be handy if when viewed its content the Grimoire would gripes out spells which aren’t of interest to me due to being already learned or me not being able to cast them. Right now it’s a pain to figure out which Grim offfers exactly.

6)

A Tyranny-style ability to pin a specific enemies info on the screen would be *exquisite*. I use that constantly in my playthroughs of Tyranny, and it would be really great to see it in Deadfire.

7) Highlight craftable items - I like how UI has dedicated crafting button which shows how many recipies are craftable. It would be great if once the crafting menu is opened it would also highlight in what "folders" those craftable items are located. A need to clicking through every category to find 2 craftable items makes me less likely to bother.

8 Item sorting in stash PoE had a very handy feature of sorting items in stash according to type, value, enchantments etc. Without it sorting through items can be difficult.

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 3

3) Hold to move in smart camera I adore the smart camera - it’s something I thought would be cool to add but didn’t expect to see. To make exploring even smoother would it be possible to add “hold to move” option like in ship view? Naturally there is a bit of a conflict as both mouse buttons already fill and important role with LMB being used for boxing and RMB for setting a direction your formation is facing. However, a toggle to replace the RMB with “hold to move” would be great for city movement over longer distances.

Sweet! Glad to hear that it's enjoyed :) . I still have some improvements I need to make with it all (mostly in combat). That being said, I have a "Hold to move" action about 80% working on my side so I expect to have that in for launch.

• Like 8

Twitter: @robyatadero

Speaking things the Tyranny UI got right, is there a minimap toggle?

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

9XMnrfS.jpg

Both in the Bestiary and on the combat tooltips, I'd like to be able to see a description of unique creature abilities, like we get for player abilities. I do understand that there's a lot of abilities and maybe not time to write descriptions for all of them, though.

Failing that, I think it would be helpful if we could at least right click on abilities in the Bestiary to get a popup description, for example, if you go to the entry for Delemgans and want to see what, say, Nature's Balm, does without exiting the Bestiary.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter
  • Like 3

I'll just post the links to the topics with the features requested here as well as earlier:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96378-request-bahavior-editor-ease-of-use/

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96070-request-talents-screen/

• Like 2

I see the dreams so marvelously sad

The creeks of land so solid and encrusted

Where wave and tide against the shore is busted

While chanting by the moonlit twilight's bed

trees (of Twin Elms) could use more of Magran's touch © Durance

In the AI behavior editor, it would really be convenient to be able to copy/paste behavior sets between scripts. I'd like to be able to combine, say "paladin agressive" and "chanter aggressive" into one script for my herald, for example, or copy the "charm" behavior list out of "cipher cautious" and put it in "cipher aggressive" without manually retyping everything.

EDIT: also wait is the bestiary working now in the beta?

Edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

New beta brought some much needed improvements to interface - some expected and some surprising. As such I wanted to make a list of stuff, which I think would enhance it even further.

1) Access to skill tree view from character screen. Why, oh why Obsidian have you put so much work into a clearer way of presenting skill trees and yet you insist on keeping it hidden behind levelling up? A button on character screen that would allow us to see the full skill tree would be very handy.

It would be good to pre-choose skills. So I could plan it ahead, then fallow when it comes. It happens to me, I spend time for forecast future but when it comes I just click something becouse I dont bother do science in the middle of combat/something.

Edited by gGeorg

It's sad to see that none of these early feedback have made it in, but there was time for this—the single most annoying UI functionality in the history of UI (already from the previous build):

M1Oimw3.png

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

9XMnrfS.jpg

Both in the Bestiary and on the combat tooltips, I'd like to be able to see a description of unique creature abilities, like we get for player abilities. I do understand that there's a lot of abilities and maybe not time to write descriptions for all of them, though.

Failing that, I think it would be helpful if we could at least right click on abilities in the Bestiary to get a popup description, for example, if you go to the entry for Delemgans and want to see what, say, Nature's Balm, does without exiting the Bestiary.

WHY DO YOU HAVE IT AND I DON"T. You use steam or gog?

or0Xnzf.jpg

It's sad to see that none of these early feedback have made it in, but there was time for this—the single most annoying UI functionality in the history of UI (already from the previous build):

M1Oimw3.png

This. It's the most annoying feature ever. I really dont understand why the devs insist on this.

I don't get it. You want to equip armor in quick items slot? Why?

M1Oimw3.png

This. It's the most annoying feature ever. I really dont understand why the devs insist on this.

I don't get it. You want to equip armor in quick items slot? Why?

Huum, personnaly, my peeve is about being forced to align the arrow with the slot to equip items. Why can't it be just the item, no arrow, like in the previous game (and pretty much every CRPG I've played).

• Like 3

I find it terribly counter-intuitive and inconvenient. I certainly don't recall anybody complaining about this aspect of inventory management—that's how 100% of other cRPGs work. That arrow is not where my mouse cursor would be; the item icon is. The most intuitive thing to do is place the cursor over the slot and click it. Why they thought it would be a good idea to change this is beyond me.

• Like 2

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I find it terribly counter-intuitive and inconvenient. I certainly don't recall anybody complaining about this aspect of inventory management—that's how 100% of other cRPGs work. That arrow is not where my mouse cursor would be; the item icon is. The most intuitive thing to do is place the cursor over the slot and click it. Why they thought it would be a good idea to change this is beyond me.

I can understand how it could be annoying, I just didn't even notice the change. Didn't mind previous way of doing it, don't mind this one. 

WHY DO YOU HAVE IT AND I DON"T. You use steam or gog?

The Tutorials tab is empty for me as well; just press Tab when you're in the quest journal and it should take you to the Cyclopedia.

• Like 1

Stealth/Invisibility related UI requires more work. Backstab Assassins are fun to play when they work, but annoying when they don't.

1. Don't hide the action/recovery bars of friendlies when they're invisible. They are crucial to keeping track of what the character is doing, especially since it's hard to see the animations of an invisible character. And it's super annoying when you can't tell if you're about to land the backstab without timing out the invisibility, because you can't tell whether the character is stuck in AI limbo and needs a helpful nudge, or is just waiting on recovery to finish.

2. I know that efficient pathfinding is a hard problem and it will probably never be perfect for all situations. But having an option to draw pathfinding trails on the screen when you give a movement order while paused, would at least allow you to notice when the pathfinding bugs out and fine tune your orders before you unpause. Again this would help you to avoid timing out your invisibilities because the AI bugged out.

3. Show the 2 meter range circle around every character that has both the backstab talent and a ranged weapon equipped, so you know how close you need to sneak to land the backstab, without having to eyeball the distance.

4. The AI script editor needs conditionals for "Self: Stealthed/Invisible", so you can script the character to reserve their special attacks for backstab opportunities.

5. And also some way to set preferred attack range, so you can force the character to close in to backstab with ranged weapons. If you made the range setting adjustable, it would also be helpful for forcing ranged chanters or other ranged characters with offensive aura abilities to close in on aura distance. And allow characters dual wielding one handed guns/implements with different ranges to close in to a range where they can shoot both of their weapons.

• Like 2