Request: Builds that dont rely on gear as much as in Pillars 1.

I looked at many of the builds on the forums when I was playing Pillars of Eternity and one of the biggest problems was the fact that many of the builds were pointless without this potion, this ring, this armor and this shield. Is that really a build or just a shopping list? And much of the gear was either randomly placed or so far into the game the character had to play one way until they could reach the gear then respec.

Im not saying people cant or shouldnt make very heavy gear based builds if they enjoy it but maybe some sort of label. Gear reliant maybe or an abbreviation. It just when I look at builds in other games it more about which class to pick, what attributes make this viable and what abilities/spells that make it unique.  Maybe the fact that the classes in the pillarverse are so balanced to the point of blandness that it requires gear builds not sure.

I do appreciate anyone and everyone who took the time to make a build in pillars and those that will make deadfire builds.

• Like 1

Actually most PoE builds are not pointless without special items. They are just optimized with certain items.

There are some builds that rely on a special item(s) (e.g. Bilestomper), but the majority of them function pretty well without.

it more about which class to pick, what attributes make this viable and what abilities/spells that make it unique.

That's exactly what most build descriptions in PoE's subforum are about.

Most of them are flexible as well - the author describes the "trick" or the basic idea behind the build. If you don't deviate too much from that basic idea you can alter the build quite a bit and it will still work well.

Builds that don't rely on items at all can be druids (Spiritshift), umarmed characters (Transcendent or Novice's Suffering) or melee wizards who use summoned weapons. Basically all casters can be build without any special equipment.

The think is that most of those builds are pretty straightforward and don't need a lot of creativity - so why should they be posted? So naturally it's the weirdo-yet-powerful builds that often get posted.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

The builds are based on something specific, whether is just a subclass and an attribute, that would be very flexible, or a specific secret lategame item plus a companions unique subclass and a story talent. So its inevitable unless there are no unique effects. And what Boeroer said.

Maybe a good idea would be to make a clear convention on the use of tags to communicate how many and what are the bases of the build, its flexibility, and whatever variables people who are into builds identify to help readers.

Edited by esyvjrt
  • Like 1

Well The Anvil Build and the The Backlash bedlam builds would not have worked basically at all without stacking retaliation items including ring of searing flame, flame shield potion, sura's supper plate, and coat of ill payment. Without those items both would only  have 1 retaliations and only at 50% endurance.

That's 2 out of 56 builds in the build list (Backlash Beldam is actually outdated and not working anymore because of a nerf via patch: retalation stopped generating focus).

You said

[...]and one of the biggest problems was the fact that many of the builds were pointless without this potion, this ring, this armor and this shield.

I think that is highly exaggerated.

Also those two builds count towards the "weird-but-powerful" category I was talking about. Most people won't want to post a straightforward standard build but try to create something interesting.

The Anvil still works well enough without retaliation items because the main source of retaliation damage is indeed Battle Forged (and Rooting Pain). See the Monksterlasher build who uses the same principle but no retaliation items.

However - I think your idea (including some kind of tag or label that gives a hint if the build relies on special items) is a very good one. I would also add a tag/label that hints if a build is a late bloomer or works well right from the start/in the early game. Or just add the level from which the basic build idea starts to work out.   

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I have to agree with Boeroer, most builds that were posted have been optimized by using specific gear but they are still very good if you have a different weapon or armor. Since most builds have been posted for PotD and maybe even solo or other challenges, most builds will still be very good if you play a lower difficulty or PotD with a full party if you keep the general concept and change some stats, talents or items.

What would be the alternative to creating builds that depend on items with unique abilities?

Should they make the effect of stats so strong that you are completely doomed if you chose the wrong stats and no equipment in the world can help you then?

Welcome to DnD where mages or priests with low int or wis cannot cast spells and fighters with low str cannot equip their weapon or armor.

Edited by Madscientist

I never wrote any builds on the forum but used many, many of them for my characters and for companions. But I always took them as they were intended: as inspiration! Don’t treat them like a recipe from a cookbook that you have to follow exactly.

• Like 1

Most of my characters run around with minimal gear. All of them finish the game in the armor you meet them in (with the exception of Hiravias and GM who get downgraded to clothing). While some people have a Iot of fun theorycrafting elaborate builds, they are in no way required to play the game.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."