Jailed for racist words

BruceVC

There are a fair amount of primary sources where Europeans justify slavery of African people based on skin color and other physical characteristics. You can argue that the justification is simply based on an economic need and opportunity, but that hardly changes the fact they were exploited. In short, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.

There are a fair amount of primary sources where Europeans justify slavery of African people based on skin color and other physical characteristics. You can argue that the justification is simply based on an economic need and opportunity, but that hardly changes the fact they were exploited. In short, I'm not really sure where you are going with this.

I do seem to remember the Church took quite a long time to say African people had souls. Just to give one example of Europeans justifying slavery.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Hey! Last I checked there was almost 0 slaves in Europe while you were having field day in US so bugger of! :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I'm pretty sure that prevalent thinking until about the early 20th century was that blacks were inferior as a race. Barely people, having more in common with apes than with the PC master race. Such luminaries as Voltaire even bought into this. They even invented whole new "sciences" to support it. And thus, we were given scientific racism, a thorny topic, to say the least.

There might have been economic and logistical reasons for specifically targeting sub-Saharan blacks for the slave trade, but whatever they were, they fit snugly into pre-existing European—and classical, to be honest—views of racial superiority.

Edited by 213374U

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm pretty sure that prevalent thinking until about the early 20th century was that blacks were inferior as a race. Barely people, having more in common with apes than with the PC master race. Such luminaries as Voltaire even bought into this. They even invented whole new "sciences" to support it. And thus, we were given scientific racism, a thorny topic, to say the least.

There might have been economic and logistical reasons for specifically targeting sub-Saharan blacks for the slave trade, but whatever they were, they fit snugly into pre-existing European—and classical, to be honest—views of racial superiority.

Same could be said about serfs and pesants

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

these were simply excuses based on simple observations made by people who were too advanced compared to the locals and could not believe that the locals would be so far back unless they were incapable of human progress.

its projection as i said earlier. europeans in central and south africa were advanced enough to see the possibilities of the land that the locals had no way to exploit and considered that if the locals can't do it, it means the locals were inferior beings without the intelligence needed to do what to them was obvious.

besides the majority of black slaves were prisoners of tribal wars sold to slavers by the winning tribe and this slave trade goes back all the way to the pharaonic Egypt of 2000BC or even earlier.

as for the idea of racial superiority, its something as old as humanity. every group of people always thinks itself better than any other group and does whatever is needed to prove it... and if it has something that validates that claim it goes to extremes.

in the end it was, as always, all about money. even the church not recognizing them as humans with a soul was part of the need to find a moral justification for their deeds in the eyes of that 90% of the people who never owned a slave nor did they care to own one, and who didn't really care about skin color until they got brainwashed to see black people as inferior so they can turn a blind eye with a clean conscience.

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Interesting theory, but evidence suggests you have it backwards.

For instance, merchant-turned-missionary Bartolomé de las Casas' struggle to have Amerinds be granted rights and abolish the institutions that systematically enslaved them was based on the revolutionary idea—at the time—that "all peoples of the world are men", and therefore deserving of the King's protection as subjects. His reasoning eventually led to the abolition of (nominal) slavery in Spanish America.

Was there an economic reason for slavery? Sure. Would the slave trade have existed without notions of racial superiority? Possibly. After all, Greeks would sometimes enslave other Greeks after defeating them in war. However, that doesn't mean that the racist component integral to the American black slave system did not exist, did not matter, or was merely a "projection". Read up on racists within the abolitionist movement; their very existence proves that the two issues are connected but ultimately distinct.

• Like 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Interesting theory, but evidence suggests you have it backwards.

For instance, merchant-turned-missionary Bartolomé de las Casas' struggle to have Amerinds be granted rights and abolish the institutions that systematically enslaved them was based on the revolutionary idea—at the time—that "all peoples of the world are men", and therefore deserving of the King's protection as subjects. His reasoning eventually led to the abolition of (nominal) slavery in Spanish America.

Was there an economic reason for slavery? Sure. Would the slave trade have existed without notions of racial superiority? Possibly. After all, Greeks would sometimes enslave other Greeks after defeating them in war. However, that doesn't mean that the racist component integral to the American black slave system did not exist, did not matter, or was merely a "projection". Read up on racists within the abolitionist movement; their very existence proves that the two issues are connected but ultimately distinct.

i dont deny the connection, i'm merely stating that the reason for black slavery in america was 99% economical. black africans were cheap, plentiful and had no free counterparts who moved there on their own to mingle with and drop off the radar. and all the theories about racial inferiority made it hard for them to be accepted as free people even after their liberation.

however they were not the only ones who were discriminated against. chinese were not treated with much respect in those times either but you don't see them going on rampages on the streets screaming "RACISM" when one of them pulls a gun on a cop and gets shot. irish were unofficial slaves when they moved en masse to USA and were not treated any better and natives had it the worst as they were systematically exterminated by settlers.

everyone who had a bad time due to racial issues in the past has put that past behind and looks ahead recognizing that the world has moved away from that mentality that caused sorrow to their ancestors. the only people who cling to that past are those who want to use it as an excuse to make demands. we have such people here too. 60 years ago they came as refugees and 3 generations later they still use that old story to demand unfair benefits

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Satanic believers? XD It's for shock value, pal.

Yes according to their own say at least they are satanic believers. I am not going to post every music video from them, but if you put on youtube search DieAntwoord and listen to the words they sing in songs it is pretty evil message.

I  dont think I have ever heard of them and I cant imagine ever listening  :blink:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

chinese were not treated with much respect in those times either but you don't see them going on rampages on the streets screaming "RACISM" when one of them pulls a gun on a cop and gets shot. irish were unofficial slaves when they moved en masse to USA and were not treated any better and natives had it the worst as they were systematically exterminated by settlers.

I'm sure the Chinese would be protesting more if they got shot as often. And the Irish became the police, so that was a nifty turnabout by them.

chinese were not treated with much respect in those times either but you don't see them going on rampages on the streets screaming "RACISM" when one of them pulls a gun on a cop and gets shot. irish were unofficial slaves when they moved en masse to USA and were not treated any better and natives had it the worst as they were systematically exterminated by settlers.

I'm sure the Chinese would be protesting more if they got shot as often. And the Irish became the police, so that was a nifty turnabout by them.

maybe they don't get shot much because they don't pull a gun at the police.

anyway, racism has been a thing of the past and there are still racists today, but the systemic racism that everyone screeches about has not been around for decades. Dr King fought for the elevation of the black community to the level of the rest of the people of USA, a place at the time almost precluded for them. the idea of equality was to give everyone a ladder that lets them climb to the top of the wall and whoever wants to climb he can go ahead and try to go as high as he can. today's misconception about equality is that if everyone can't get to the top of the wall, nobody should attempt to climb and when somebody attempts and succeeds, its because racism/sexism made sure the ladders of the others were faulty.

there will always be racist people but racist societies are a thing of the past in most of the world. those who keep clinging to the idea that our societies are racist and ask for special laws, are people who should open a dictionary and read the definition of racism.

-Teknoman2-