Jailed for racist words

BruceVC

are we that far that you really can't tell me what K word is?

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

are we that far that you really can't tell me what K word is?

Kaffir (alternatively kaffer; originally cafri) is an ethnic slur used to refer to a black person. In the form of cafri, it evolved during the pre-colonial period as an equivalent of "negro". In Southern Africa, the term was later used as an exonym for Bantu peoples. The designation came to be considered a pejorative by the 20th century.

In South Africa, the word was loosely used to refer to native South Africans. It was adopted as a derogatory term after 1948 when the Apartheid system was established. Under crimen injuria, the epithet kaffir has been actionable in the justice system of South Africa since 1976.[1] In 2000, the South African parliament also enacted the Promotion of Prevention of Unfair Discrimination Act, which has among its primary objectives the prevention of hate speech terms such as kaffir.[2] When describing the term, the euphemism the K-word is now often used instead of kaffir.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(racial_term)

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I haven't been home in ages, but this just seems crazy to me. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but hateful ranting doesn't physically harm anyone. No one was physically hurt. No property was damaged. No one lost anything. Yet this is deserving of jail time? I think everyone just needs to get some perspective.

Of course, I suspect that getting caught on video was her primary mistake. It might not have gone as far without that viral evidence. 

• Like 1

I haven't been home in ages, but this just seems crazy to me. I know I'm stating the obvious here, but hateful ranting doesn't physically harm anyone. No one was physically hurt. No property was damaged. No one lost anything. Yet this is deserving of jail time? I think everyone just needs to get some perspective.

Of course, I suspect that getting caught on video was her primary mistake. It might not have gone as far without that viral evidence. 

I can understand how people could feel the same way as you around the general point   " surly offensive language is just words and cannot physically hurt someone so surly this sentence is extreme " 

This lady  has been charged with  Crimen injuria...technically she isn't being charged with racism but here is the definition 

"Crimen injuria is a crime under South African common law, defined to be the act of "unlawfully, intentionally and seriously impairing the dignity of another."[1]Although difficult to precisely define, the crime is used in the prosecution of certain instances of road rage,[2] stalking,[1] racially offensive language,[3] emotional or psychological abuse[4] and sexual offences against children.[5] The Truth and Reconciliation Commission heard numerous cases of crimen injuria, usually coupled with assault, committed by intelligence services on both sides of the struggle against apartheid. "

If you watch the video and the way she was ranting and verbally attacking the police officer she is definitely guilty of that  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What happens if a white civilian calls a black police officer a makrut?

You funny, I had to look that word  up  :biggrin:  :biggrin: It would be fine to say that word because no one would make the connection 

But just on the kword, there are other definitions for it outside of SA  but when that word is used by white people within SA  it is very offensive and unacceptable. There are only about 5 words we dont use as white people in SA ,for me its not hard to understand but we still have the odd person  still using that words and I think this sentence should go a long way to stopping it being used in our public discord 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I can understand how people could feel the same way as you around the general point   " surly offensive language is just words and cannot physically hurt someone so surly this sentence is extreme " 

This lady  has been charged with  Crimen injuria...technically she isn't being charged with racism but here is the definition 

"Crimen injuria is a crime under South African common law, defined to be the act of "unlawfully, intentionally and seriously impairing the dignity of another."[1]Although difficult to precisely define, the crime is used in the prosecution of certain instances of road rage,[2] stalking,[1] racially offensive language,[3] emotional or psychological abuse[4] and sexual offences against children.[5] The Truth and Reconciliation Commission heard numerous cases of crimen injuria, usually coupled with assault, committed by intelligence services on both sides of the struggle against apartheid. "

If you watch the video and the way she was ranting and verbally attacking the police officer she is definitely guilty of that  :geek:

So this law lumps "offensive language" and "sexual offences against children" together? That seems... broad. 

So, are you arguing that she deserves that sentence?

Edited by Heijoushin

You are surprised over this? Do your reserarch. I rank SouthAfrica worst country of all of Africa and generally that continent is bad with perhaps some exceptions yes. SouthAfrica goverment are  hardcore criminals this is known fact. SouthAfrica crime statistics murder and rape are skyhigh  matched by no country in Europe or no state in USA! Goverment cares only about what gives them money that is why food can be good served in Restaurants.

Headhunters offered me a job in South Africa. My answer was that I will never visit South Africa as a tourist or move there :ban: !

Edited by Terminator

So this law lumps "offensive language" and "sexual offences against children" together? That seems... broad. 

Yes I think the sentence is reasonable if you consider what she is being charged for which is Crimen injuria.

You are surprised over this? Do your reserarch. I rank SouthAfrica worst country of all of Africa and generally that continent is bad with perhaps some exceptions yes. SouthAfrica goverment are  hardcore criminals this is known fact. SouthAfrica crime statistics murder and rape are skyhigh  matched by no country in Europe or no state in USA! Goverment cares only about what gives them money that is why food can be good served in Restaurants.

Headhunters offered me a job in South Africa. My answer was that I will never visit South Africa as a tourist or move there :ban: !

:biggrin:  :biggrin:  You make me laugh

Dude this is one of the most inaccurate and egregiously  negative assessments of SA  I have ever read. For example we have countries on the African continent who dont even have functional governments or are war zones, how can SA  be worse than them?

SA is the most progressive country on the continent and we have the most stable economy compared to any other African countries...its true I promise you 

But I am not denying some of the social, political and economic issues we have  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Isn’t the issue less the racism in and of itself and more the racism directed at an officer?

Its both but yes its worse because its directed towards the police officer 

John Milton 

Yes I think the sentence is reasonable if you consider what she is being charged for which is Crimen injuria.

Dude this is one of the most inaccurate and egregiously  negative assessments of SA  I have ever read. For example we have countries on the African continent who dont even have functional governments or are war zones, how can SA  be worse than them?

SA is the most progressive country on the continent and we have the most stable economy compared to any other African countries...its true I promise you 

But I am not denying some of the social, political and economic issues we have  :geek:

Let me guess a black from South Africa and blind to the new racism towards white people.

Well that you are high on drugs that could explain it also.

SA has statistics in murder, rape skyhigh. I would never enter SA neither as employee or as tourist. I am not a super expert on Africa so you might be correct that somewhere in Africa it is even worse.

SA are run by criminals and I have no respect at all for the SA goverment and they are criminals.

Edited by Terminator

Let me guess a black from South Africa and blind to the new racism towards white people.

SA has statistics in murder, rape skyhigh. I would never enter SA neither as employee or as tourist. I am not a super expert on Africa so you might be correct that somewhere in Africa it is even worse.

SA are run by criminals and I have no respect at all for the SA goverment and they are criminals.

Again most of your  post is outdated or not accurate. For example we did have a horrendous 3 years under our last president but he was forced to resign and we rebuilding the damage done to our economy by corruption and massive failure of governance across our 

parastatals but as I mentioned we have a new president who is addressing this \

Also Im white, Im not sure if you thought I was black? Of course anyone can be racist but because  I dont feel black on white racism is hurtful or in the context of SA  has the same agency I dont concern myself with it . Im not even sure if racism has to be hurtful to  meaningful?

Im  not being contrarian but because of Apartheid its hard for me to comment ...most of my life I have had some people make uninformed and myopic comments about where I come from and what I believe

Its not personal, its more about misinformed  historical precedence and negative views about the UK where we come from. You just  learn to ignore it  and focus on normal debates and constructive engagements  :geek:

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Again most of your  post is outdated or not accurate. For example we did have a horrendous 3 years under our last president but he was forced to resign and we rebuilding the damage done to our economy by corruption and massive failure of governance across our 

parastatals but as I mentioned we have a new president who is addressing this \

Also Im white, Im not sure if you thought I was black? Of course anyone can be racist but because  I dont feel black on white racism is hurtful or in the context of SA  has the same agency I dont concern myself with it . Im not even sure if racism has to be hurtful to  meaningful?

Im  not being contrarian but because of Apartheid its hard for me to comment ...most of my life I have had some people make uninformed and myopic comments about where I come from and what I believe

Its not personal, its more about misinformed  historical precedence and negative views about the UK where we come from. You just  learn to ignore it  and focus on normal debates and constructive engagements  :geek:

Ok so you are white like me am white.

Lol... whatever... still this like this: SouthAfrica crime statistics murder and rape are skyhigh  matched by no country in Europe or no state in USA! Goverment cares only about what gives them money that is why food can be good served in Restaurants.

Hahaa you read what S*** is in SA. I do know that there is a lot racist from black people vs white people in SA today. Of course not everyone are racist and maybe your friends etc are not racist and many people are not racist that I can believe. However the SA goverment is racist vs white people.

You can tell whatever you want and believe about SA, but I will never come to SA.

You know somebody can tell that Northkorea is a very good place to live in whatever if they tell that. Southkorea and Japan etc are good places but Northkorea is not a place I would like to live in.

Look I do believe that SA has also many good people. It is not that I hate all people from SA. However there are criminals and goverment in SA is s***.

Here is SA music that I like:

Edited by Terminator
  • Like 1

The ironic thing is that I am Christian and Die Antwoord  from South Africa are Satanic believers therefore their music have often evil message or words. I don't like all music from them but those two I do like and whatever music is music and everyone like what music they like.

Edited by Terminator

Satanic believers? XD It's for shock value, pal.

Yes according to their own say at least they are satanic believers. I am not going to post every music video from them, but if you put on youtube search DieAntwoord and listen to the words they sing in songs it is pretty evil message.

Edited by Terminator

Ah yes, the time honored tradition of shock-jockeys to claim satanism, as passed down by Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson and Rob Zombie. It gets great publicity, but Die Antwoord ain't no Burzum.

If they were Burzum he'd probably like them better given Varg's beliefs.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

discrimination based on first glance characteristics like skin color is part of a naturally evolved survival instinct. like all animals, humans are wary of what they do not know so they seek uniformity in their communities and they tend to avoid what has obvious differences.

another problem is projection. we tend to see the past through the lens of the present, so behaviors that had nothing to do with racism, sexism or any other -ism but were accepted as the social norm by all relevant parties, are seen as such judged by today's standards.

also, slaves have always been treated like slaves regardless of the race or ethnicity of the slave or the owner. in the 1800s USA blacks were not slaves because of racism, its just that they were abundant and cheap so there was high demand and plentiful offer, making the trade of any slave of other origin pointless from an economic perspective (there were slaves of all other races all around the world even long after the abolishment of slavery in USA). the problem of racism started after the liberation of the slaves when former slave owners and guards could not accept that their former slaves now had equal rights as them as free citizens and since USA was a land with over 80% of inhabitants being  white who knew all blacks were slaves, free black people stuck out like the proverbial nail that needs hammering.

• Like 1

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Actually there are quite a few differences in the way slavery was handled by different cultural groups throughout history. Slavery where the slaves and masters share a similar culture and look is traditionally much less brutal than one culture enslaving another. Racism can clearly be considered a factor in the way the Portuguese exploited the Kongo for slaves. 

Actually there are quite a few differences in the way slavery was handled by different cultural groups throughout history. Slavery where the slaves and masters share a similar culture and look is traditionally much less brutal than one culture enslaving another. Racism can clearly be considered a factor in the way the Portuguese exploited the Kongo for slaves. 

the treatment even varied from master to master, its not like all black slaves in USA were treated like cattle by their masters nor that all slaves were treated kindly in ancient Athens where slaves were mostly other greeks and the laws were pretty humane about what the master was allowed to do.

the thing is that blacks were not targeted for slavery because of their skin color but because they were an easy target. if there were and easier target, slavers would go for it and leave sub saharan africans alone.

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.