Jailed for racist words

BruceVC

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-43567468

Hi All

I am looking for peoples opinions on this development. In summary a white women in South Africa has been jailed for racist words she hurled at a black police  officer . These are the questions you may consider

• This is an extreme sentence and it is an infringement on freedom of speech
  • You cant jail people for saying racist words 
  • This is fair and should be the expected sentence for extreme racism

IMO it is fair but it will also go both ways so going forward some black South Africans will also be charged for racism against white South Africans 

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 5

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

run you fool

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I don't know what K word is, but I am pretty sure you have bigger problem down there that white trash talking s**t

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

I don't know what K word is, but I am pretty sure you have bigger problem down there that white trash talking s**t

It's equivalent to the N word here in the states. The linguistic origin is different, but the meaning and usage is the same.

Yes, they have bigger problems than that woman, but it's still part of what they're dealing with.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 1

It's equivalent to the N word here in the states. The linguistic origin is different, but the meaning and usage is the same.

Yes, they have bigger problems than that woman, but it's still part of what they're dealing with.

I have to admit we do have much more egregious  economic, political  and social problems than this but this is still part of the Apartheid Legacy narrative that many of us strive to address or at least understand

Its relevant to that aspect of the new South Africa 

John Milton 

Don't forget that youre out of water too! And probably smell a little bad. :p

It's just Cape Town that's having the problem, not the whole country.

Yes this is true, where I live in JHB we had floods last week 

• Like 1

John Milton 

Just goes to show how outlawing speech you don't like has made all your problems go away

oh wait

You raised a good point, I havent explained what  positive  social  change this will lead to

We will have much less  people making public racist comments, thats it. We still need to work on everything else 

Edited by BruceVC

John Milton 

Just goes to show how outlawing speech you don't like has made all your problems go away

oh wait

You raised a good point, I havent explained what  positive  social  change this will lead to

We will have much less  people making public racist comments, thats it. We still need to work on everything else 

I'm just giving you a hard time because we've had this conversation before

Freedom of speech does not mean freedom of consequence.
This is true but doesn't fit this case at all because it's the state that is enforcing the consequences. If it was her employer/friends/family/public at large then it would make sense
Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

What Shady said

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Sounds like a cop with a paper ego.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Haha. The beeb is too scandalized to even refer to the "k word". It's just "the highly offensive word". This is Harry Potter-level puerile, here.

Also: I'm pretty sure HoonDing is being ironic, as usual. The quote has been a longstanding reply—incorrectly—used by "leftists" and the BLM crowd.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Gets robbed and then gets inprisoned because she said bad words. LMAO I bet the robbers likely got sentences less than that if they even got caught. :p

Also, Bruce, they will not inprison blacks who say racist things. Because, blacks can't be 'racist' even though SA is  controlled by a black majority.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Sometimes when people don't know when they stop, they meed to be punished to "make" them stop. Some time in the fridge should help them think about their ways :)

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

They'd probably imprison Malema for bad words if they could, he was kicked from the ANC for singing the old farmer killer song. Too many militant followers for him though.

I wonder if the Beeb refers to Kaffir Limes as [redacted racial slur] Limes on their recipe pages. Though given their name comes direct from Arabic rather than Arabic via Afrikaans they might have to call them [redacted religious slur] Limes instead.

They'd probably imprison Malema for bad words if they could, he was kicked from the ANC for singing the old farmer killer song. Too many militant followers for him though.

I wonder if the Beeb refers to Kaffir Limes as [redacted racial slur] Limes on their recipe pages. Though given their name comes direct from Arabic rather than Arabic via Afrikaans they might have to call them [redacted religious slur] Limes instead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/fresh_kaffir_lime_and_02405

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbc+kaffir+limes

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Ask a rhetorical question; get a non rhetorical answer. Indeed, Kaffir Limes are still called Kaffir Limes even in South Africa.

I do have to admit I find kafir/ kuffar* being pretty common and unredacted in Arabic language videos on the beeb rather ironic given how they refer to the Afrikaans version, as its connotations are scarcely better in its usual context there.

(kuffar/ kafir = 'unbeliever' in Arabic, though considerably more perjorative than merely 'unbeliever' is in English; it's the sort of thing ISIS would call a Yezidi to justify the genocide and rape. It's the original source for both the racist term and the lime variety)

Always is the off chance someone will be curious to know, and one article being from today was too fitting to not mention.