Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Backer Beta Update 3: Patch Notes

patch backer beta beta bug update bb notes

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

Madscientist

Madscientist

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1474 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

very nice

some known bugs are not mentioned in the long list above:

- do several on crit or on kill effects still stack with itself to allow a huge amount of hits? ( some combinations of cleaving stance, monk attack spped upgrade (name forgotten), blast, citadels spirit lance and such stuff.

- Do monk fist bonusses no longer disappear after reload?

George_Truman

George_Truman

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 256 posts

Steel Garrote Lay on Hands is now a 2 point cost ability.

Is that a subclass now?

Katarack21

Katarack21

Chief Eldritch Abomination of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3081 posts
  • Steam:Katarack21
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

WOO-HOO (again)!

• Sking likes this

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Love the UI improvements !

• Tanred likes this

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dragon Thrashed description is a bit confusing---damage per 3 seconds for 6 seconds. Does that mean 6 seconds each time a chant is started, or does the 6 seconds just refer to the usual time span of a chant? If the former, then with Brisk Recitation, can you stack multiple instances from the same chanter? That might not be so bad....

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you for the update and the detailed patch notes guys. Much appreciated!)
mini note: unedited notes also include changes from previous update

What is the auto-attack setting and how is it broken?

There were two things: you can't auto-attack a team member, and this one.

Attribute Cap of 35 - To prevent the effects of Attributes from scaling away into infinity, they are now capped to 35. We chose this number based on both where we wanted the influence of Attributes to max out as well as what we believed was within the reach of aggressive min-maxers.

Feeling strange about this one ^^ because:
- a cap of 100, would achieve the same thing, i.e. prevent "from scaling away into infinity"
- in PoE1 we could achieve up to 43 dexterity; although do note: it was not worth it
- hard caps do smell bad. Sometimes it's indicative that the game loses it's balance outside of certain range; and that the system can't handle it gracefully itself. No hard cap in PoE1 was a healthy sign in my book, and it was really well handled, as dropping attributes was stinging, while maxing them to the roof was affected by intrinsic diminishing returns; not to mention that there were often wise to smooth the spread a little: think of MIG and DEX both contributing to dps, and at a very simplistic level: 15x15 > 20x10.
It's no big deal though)

I was a lilttle skeptical of the attribute cap at first but 35 is pretty high -- that's about where the "soft cap" of effectiveness was anyway in the first game. If it were lower I'd have more concern but at 35 it seems almost more like a UI feature -- "it's ok, you can stop bothering now" -- and it might make character planning a little simpler and give the designers more room to play around with weird bonuses (like drugs, etc.) 

I mean I see where you're coming from and it's definitely the most interesting change listed but it might work out to be a good thing iafter all.

• illathid, Sonntam and MaxQuest like this

Aramintai

Aramintai

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1424 posts
  • Steam:Aramintai
  • PSN Portable ID:Aramintai
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Everyone talks about mechanics improvements while I'm simply glad that more hair color options got added and some heads got rid of the rash dots  :) HUD improvements look nice too.

As for mechanics, I'm not deep into them but having two abilities per level for single classes does feel better.

Edited by Aramintai, 30 March 2018 - 11:56 AM.

• Clean&Clear, InsaneCommander and esyvjrt like this

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I never wanted beta access, but I want beta access. :geek:

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Quick feedback after just messing around a little bit:

• Very good-looking new icons and UI improvements. Love that font ligatures and solid UI are in!
  • Great to have more hair and beard options, though some beards still look very patchy.
  • Great to have more passive talents; some of them look very interesting.
  • Love the parallax camera option à la Diablo II!
  • Great job on background noises in Tikawara. I played Baldur's Gate earlier today and the city felt so alive; now Tikawara feels like that too!
  • Good job on environmental audio too in Tikawara. Hope to hear more of that as I visit different environments.
  • Still no final graphics for Firebrand and Citzal's Spirit Lance :(
  • Noticeable performance improvements; kudos!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm very happy about the MIG/RES changes!

Edited by AndreaColombo, 30 March 2018 - 12:00 PM.

• illathid, kafferaas, Clean&Clear and 3 others like this

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

screenshot_303.png

• Sonntam and gGeorg like this

Breckmoney

Breckmoney

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sorry, this does happen now? Or did you mean it just as a suggestion? Or has it always worked like that and I'm just blind?

BillyCorgan

BillyCorgan

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 236 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
A suggestion.

I'm on a new run on Tyranny and this feature (and others UI elements) are good idea that i'll hope to see in deadfire.

M4xw0lf

M4xw0lf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Soo, another 20 bucks later I'm now downloading the beta. Come here my precious! :dancing:

• Katarack21 likes this

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1473 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sadness: Ciphers cannot choose the Gunner talent

SaruNi

SaruNi

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 557 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dragon Thrashed and Come Soft Winds of Death are implemented as DoTs (i.e., every time the chant is started it attacks all enemies in range and applies a DoT to each it hits individually, with crits getting longer duration and grazes getting shorter duration). Contrary to what the tooltip says, their duration is influenced by intellect. Multiple instances of the Dragon Thrashed can stack with each other (I'd guess the same is true for Soft Winds of Death). 

Very nice. This makes Dragon Thrashed worthy of being a 5th tier ability. I like that you have to use a bit of strategy to make maximum use of it.

Edited by SaruNi, 30 March 2018 - 12:31 PM.

thelee

thelee

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1589 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thank you for the update and the detailed patch notes guys. Much appreciated!)
mini note: unedited notes also include changes from previous update

What is the auto-attack setting and how is it broken?

There were two things: you can't auto-attack a team member, and this one.

Attribute Cap of 35 - To prevent the effects of Attributes from scaling away into infinity, they are now capped to 35. We chose this number based on both where we wanted the influence of Attributes to max out as well as what we believed was within the reach of aggressive min-maxers.

Feeling strange about this one ^^ because:
- a cap of 100, would achieve the same thing, i.e. prevent "from scaling away into infinity"
- in PoE1 we could achieve up to 43 dexterity; although do note: it was not worth it
- hard caps do smell bad. Sometimes it's indicative that the game loses it's balance outside of certain range; and that the system can't handle it gracefully itself. No hard cap in PoE1 was a healthy sign in my book, and it was really well handled, as dropping attributes was stinging, while maxing them to the roof was affected by intrinsic diminishing returns; not to mention that there were often wise to smooth the spread a little: think of MIG and DEX both contributing to dps, and at a very simplistic level: 15x15 > 20x10.
It's no big deal though)

I was a lilttle skeptical of the attribute cap at first but 35 is pretty high -- that's about where the "soft cap" of effectiveness was anyway in the first game. If it were lower I'd have more concern but at 35 it seems almost more like a UI feature -- "it's ok, you can stop bothering now" -- and it might make character planning a little simpler and give the designers more room to play around with weird bonuses (like drugs, etc.) 

I mean I see where you're coming from and it's definitely the most interesting change listed but it might work out to be a good thing iafter all.

I'm almost positive the cap was introduced just as an arbitrary restriction so that Resolve could be allowed to reduce hostile durations meaningfully per point without worrying about degenerative cases of high resolve (which JE Sawyer cited as a reason of why he was hesitant of resolve doing this effect). They could theoretically have gone up to 43 (any more and resolve would give >100% reduction), but i'm guessing the way resolve is implemented there are significant increasing returns (each additional 3% reduction is more of the remaining hostile duration). I haven't tried the new BB yet, so this is an assumption based on how intellect works.

EDITed to add: "while maxing them to the roof was affected by intrinsic diminishing returns" 

Not actually true. By my calculations, while perception had diminishing returns, might, dex, int and con all had linear returns. Resolve actually had increasing returns, because deflection had increasing returns and resolve boosted deflection (similarly all the other stats have slightly increasing returns because they all boost a defense of some sort). As someone who did both triple crown solo and the ultimate achievements, the difference between a 19 resolve and a 20 base resolve can be a run-breaker (more so than 18 vs 19). Now, it is possible that to achieve really high levels in the stats you had to sacrifice a bunch where the net effect was diminishing returns, but the stats do not have "intrinsically" diminishing returns.

historical fact: back in the day intellect used to boost radius instead of total area. that was stupidly increasing returns, which they eventually fixed. (hint: area = pi*r^2)

Edited by thelee, 30 March 2018 - 12:41 PM.

CottonWolf

CottonWolf

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Anyone know if it's possible to roll back to a previous version of the beta? I'm trying to work whether mac performance really has decreased or if I'm misremembering how well it ran before.

Tanred

Tanred

Stick of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The enhancements to the UI feel good. And kudos for the combat speed slider.

Edited by Tanred, 30 March 2018 - 01:00 PM.

• Sonntam and Corrupt30 like this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Spoiler

Secret character option, or secret companion?

I am going to go with option 3: not so secret enemy.

• Sonntam likes this

JerekKruger

JerekKruger

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3366 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I love that you can pick up little titbits of information about the full game from these patch notes. It's renewing my excitement for the full release.

The Resolve change is surprising. I remember Josh (I think) saying that reducing the duration of hostile effects wouldn't work well because it would apply to enemies as well, so facing a Resolve 25 Dragon wouldn't be fun. Still, it seems like a nice, fitting addition to Resolve and I hope it works out well and that attributes are now finished.

Still no final graphics for Firebrand and Citzal's Spirit Lance :(

Oh that's a shame, I was hoping to see what their final form would be.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I'm very happy about the MIG/RES changes!

Ditto!

Edited by JerekKruger, 30 March 2018 - 01:12 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch, backer beta, beta, bug, update, bb, notes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users