How many companions will there be in total?

My guess is 7 or 8 total, that is what my gut tells me.

Btw, welcome to the forums! Hopefully we don't scare you off!

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

7 is good, 7 is nice.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Chaotic Evil? I think the darkest on the scale we'll see is chaotic neutral. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

• Like 1

I guess some will be more "good" and others more "evil"? My carry-over save is a cruel/aggressive death godlike cipher...I killed Eder, sacrificed him to Skaen and have been completely ruthless. Hope there are some companions for that sort.

I suspect that, like the first game, morality will be less clearly defined with each character and will really be about what you do and how you resolve the characters' arcs that will mark them in some light or other. Being a pirate, Serafen for example could be regarded as an "evil" character but perhaps the way in which you approach piracy and direct his actions may make him more ruthless or more of a vigilante if all you do is target other pirate ships and satisfy Serafen's desires for plunder in that manner.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Chaotic Evil? I think the darkest on the scale we'll see is chaotic neutral. Maybe I'll be surprised though.

Nah, much more Neutral Evil, opportunistic and cruel when necessary. I never really could relate to Tanar'ri.

Somehow that's where I often end up. I always set out to be this great legendary hero but then by act II I'm Mind Tricking people into giving me their money because I'm broke. :blink:

• Like 2

Nah, much more Neutral Evil, opportunistic and cruel when necessary. I never really could relate to Tanar'ri.

Opportunistic sounds like a very Tanar'ri thing. I can relate to some extent with the Tanar'ri myself, more than Baatezu, or at least did in previous D&D editions (before they made all Tanar'ri be feral incarnations of violence and so on). My personal take on them was that they often appealed to the passionate, emotional and instinctive desires in mortals, and tried to have these commit atrocities by essentially breaking down and giving in to the worse side of their base nature, whereas the Baatezu were a lot more about the systemic evil, oppression through the structures of power and law and so on, where mortals would be forced into evil through authority, the classic "I was only following orders" sort, and where the trick was especially to bind mortals into a system (by means of a contract for example) that would force them into doing something unforgivable. Both are very interesting though, and I hate how future D&D editions really ruined this dichotomy. But anyhow, I digress, carry on.

Edited by algroth

I killed Eder, sacrificed him to Skaen

tumblr_mqqzolLcMA1s78fnmo1_500.gif

Yeah, that's quite a diminutive-for-Richard move.

You sacrifice Zahua or Maneha instead.

Edited by Messier-31
  • Like 1

It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Opportunistic sounds like a very Tanar'ri thing. I can relate to some extent with the Tanar'ri myself, more than Baatezu, or at least did in previous D&D editions (before they made all Tanar'ri be feral incarnations of violence and so on). My personal take on them was that they often appealed to the passionate, emotional and instinctive desires in mortals, and tried to have these commit atrocities by essentially breaking down and giving in to the worse side of their base nature, whereas the Baatezu were a lot more about the systemic evil, oppression through the structures of power and law and so on, where mortals would be forced into evil through authority, the classic "I was only following orders" sort, and where the trick was especially to bind mortals into a system (by means of a contract for example) that would force them into doing something unforgivable. Both are very interesting though, and I hate how future D&D editions really ruined this dichotomy. But anyhow, I digress, carry on.

I would consider myself as lawful neutral. As scientist I like rules and order. So I never play chaotic evil chars. Killing and plundering just for the sake of it does not make any sense to me ( OK, the sense is that it does not make sense. That is another reason why I dislike Wael in PoE ). I think that if you want to achieve something you have do some planning and act systematically.

I can imagine playing a lawful evil char. Somebody who thinks mostly about his own benefit, but who is very good in the use of contracts and laws and uses such things to gain an advantage over others.

Extreme example: The king has given a reward for finding somebody, but the text does not tell clearly if he wants him dead or alive. My group has found and sourrounded the wanted person. I say: " If you surrender, I promise that I will not kill you." The person puts down his weapons. I say to my companion: "You kill him because I have promised not to do it. Let us keep his belongings and bring his head to the king. A head is easier to transport than a full body and a dead prisoner does not try to escape. This saves us the trouble of guarding and feeding him."

Edit: For a good ending, the prisoner should have insisted that I promise: " If you surrender, I promise that my group will bring you to the king alive and well and you may also keep your belongings."

The person is an idiot if he stands before several armed man and think he can stay alive when only one of them promises that this one will not kill him.

Edited by Madscientist

Somehow that's where I often end up. I always set out to be this great legendary hero but then by act II I'm Mind Tricking people into giving me their money because I'm broke. :blink:

How. . .Just. . .How. . .I ended the game with like a quarter of a million. Aside from the Paladin shield in the first town, I never paid for anything. The best loot and spells are plundered off dead enemies. . .What the devil did you find to spend your money on?

How. . .Just. . .How. . .I ended the game with like a quarter of a million. Aside from the Paladin shield in the first town, I never paid for anything. The best loot and spells are plundered off dead enemies. . .What the devil did you find to spend your money on?

There is a lot of good unique loot you can get from the stores.  You're missing out if you ignore them.  You not going to find items like shatterstar or forgemaster gloves on any enemies.

Edited by bonarbill

I'm quite the opposite, I always has ton of cash on me, and I can find plenty of ways to spend them. But every time I looks at a nice cool weapon on the vendors, I just think "what if I need a huge **** ton of money to buy something really great in the next town?"

Before I know it, I was standing in front of Thaos with half of Dyrwood's cash in my pocket.

I would consider myself as lawful neutral. As scientist I like rules and order. So I never play chaotic evil chars. Killing and plundering just for the sake of it does not make any sense to me ( OK, the sense is that it does not make sense. That is another reason why I dislike Wael in PoE ). I think that if you want to achieve something you have do some planning and act systematically.

I can imagine playing a lawful evil char. Somebody who thinks mostly about his own benefit, but who is very good in the use of contracts and laws and uses such things to gain an advantage over others.

Extreme example: The king has given a reward for finding somebody, but the text does not tell clearly if he wants him dead or alive. My group has found and sourrounded the wanted person. I say: " If you surrender, I promise that I will not kill you." The person puts down his weapons. I say to my companion: "You kill him because I have promised not to do it. Let us keep his belongings and bring his head to the king. A head is easier to transport than a full body and a dead prisoner does not try to escape. This saves us the trouble of guarding and feeding him."

Edit: For a good ending, the prisoner should have insisted that I promise: " If you surrender, I promise that my group will bring you to the king alive and well and you may also keep your belongings."

The person is an idiot if he stands before several armed man and think he can stay alive when only one of them promises that this one will not kill him.

Well, I don't think "chaotic evil" necessarily implies or limits itself to senseless killing and plundering, and that is precisely my disagreement with the post-Blood War D&D editions. I have played a couple of chaotic evil characters before in some roleplays and what I did personally was to instigate parties to one another by means of appealing to their passions or their greed or so on. I made *other* people kill and plunder by manipulating them into doing so, while I raked in the benefits of the situation. As a DM I once had a paladin character deal rather extensively with a glabrezu, and rather than have him be a bloodthirsty beast I interpreted him as wanting to manipulate the paladin into a hineous, rage-induced deed, precisely because I interpreted the demon as believing that at their basest all mortals were evil and wanted to prove as much with one who's a standard-bearer for lawfulness and good and piety and so on.

From a personal perspective I obviously don't believe humans are inherently evil, but I do believe humans are inherently irrational creatures and that we have to accept that not everything is regimented by strict rules. The "truth" such as we are able to access it isn't a single unchanging, utterly material thing, and to me every individual is inherently syncretic and that syncretism does lead to clashing beliefs and arguments, jarring and nonsensical ideological hybrids and so on all within the very same person. I also usually think myself an anarchist and value the individual's power over that of the state or system's, but I don't think that necessarily means I promote chaos as there is order, albeit non-centralized, horizontal order, to be found within an anarchist model. Generally I reckon my views are more akin to neutral good though I take my actions are probably more lawful/true neutral instead.

Edited by algroth

Making scrolls and potions mostly. Just *tons* of scrolls and potions. Buying ingredients for scrolls and potions, plus the actual gold cost of making them. Plus I buy lots of food, for prebuffing purposes.

Edited by Katarack21

You sacrifice Zahua...

Now who's the monster :o

Not whoever sacrificed Zahua.

You guys need to abandon the D&D alignment concepts, it really does not apply well to Eternity.  By D&D terms Grieving Mother would be nuetral evil, because she thought mind raping a bunch of people into force loving their hollowborn children was okay.  Even to the point that her compulsion caused one parent to literally work themselves to death taking care of the hollowborn kid.

But does neutral evil really "encompass" that, or explain it adequately?  No.

That said if you killed Eder it isn't 7 companions and 4 side kicks, it is 6 companions, your bad taste in killing Eder, and 4 sidekicks.

• Like 6

You sacrifice Zahua...

Now who's the monster :o

Not whoever sacrificed Zahua.

You guys need to abandon the D&D alignment concepts, it really does not apply well to Eternity. 

Even in the pillars world, killing someone painfully like that is considered a cruel act.  You can't even do the sacrifice anybody unless you have a point of cruel disposition.  I think the reaction from your companions is proof enough how monstrous it is.

Edited by bonarbill

I'm quite the opposite, I always has ton of cash on me, and I can find plenty of ways to spend them. But every time I looks at a nice cool weapon on the vendors, I just think "what if I need a huge **** ton of money to buy something really great in the next town?"

Before I know it, I was standing in front of Thaos with half of Dyrwood's cash in my pocket.

I used to be like that. Then, I decided to check the wiki, and pick out the gear I want for my party in advance. It solved my hoarding problem. I still ended the game with 100k+ cash, which was a lot less than what I had before 

• Like 1