Time for Obsidian to kickstart a science-fantasy, PoE like, RPG?

Looking over Deadfire content, I came to the realization that Obsidian now has ready made tech, credibility and player base to finance and support their own sci-fi RPG. In particular, Deadfire's new ship system immediately suggested to me the potential of a game set in a science-fantasy setting such as WH40K Rogue Trader or Fading Suns, where you could possess your own spaceship, visit planets, plausibly (insofar as science-fantasy is plausible) engage in ranged and melee combat and explore 'the dark between the stars'.

Unlike Mass Effect, this game would not be an homage to the high tech, sci-fi series of the 90s - rather it would be a seamless combination of science fiction technology and a medieval world of the sort seen in Dune, Star Wars, Gene Wolfe's New Sun book series, and the aforementioned RPG settings. It would also play like PoE, aka like the Infinity Engine games, rather than as an action game.  

I would personally love for it to be the Fading Suns, because its a perfect kitchen sink setting, but I'd also support Obsidian making their own IP, with my Kickstarter money.

Is there any interest in this among the playerbase?

• Like 12

И погибе Српски кнез Лазаре,
И његова сва изгибе војска, 
Седамдесет и седам иљада;
Све је свето и честито било
И миломе Богу приступачно.

I don't know. It sounds cool on paper.

They do have some sort of sci-fi rpg in development, but that's funded by Take Two's Private Division. Seems more likely to be third person than isometric, though.

I like what you suggested, but I'd like it to be turn-based.

• Like 2

I'm hoping they will take a break from crowd-funding. It's nice to be surprised and not be on the edge of my seat with backer updates.

But yeah, a sci-fi game would be cool.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I'd like to see an Obsidian made adaptation of RIFTS by Palladium books.

(It could even have a PoE bidirectional crossover DLC.  :yes:; give Edér Power Armor, and a techno-magical plasma rifle.)

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

I tend to play more fantasy RPGs than I do sci-fi ones myself but don't mind either way. I reckon that what with both Deadfire and the Cainarsky project currently in development, perhaps we'll not see a new crowdfunding campaign until after Deadfire and its DLCs are released, and the team is free to work on a new project. That, and if they decide to crowdfund a new series I reckon that like Deadfire they'll likely want to add some tangible proof of concept to the pitch and so it'd come a few months into development and so on.

I also recall a rumour or idea flying about a year or so back regarding Obsidian wanting to acquire the rights for Dune. If I recall correctly Feargus mentioned something about it in the Deadfire Fig campaign closer stream, but more as an "I'd like to do this" than "we're *doing* this". Nothing new since however, so I reckon a rumour or fancy is all it was in the end. Still, that would also be nice to see.

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I'll pass. I haven't enjoyed playing Obs' games considering their predilection for rulesets that only purpose in to force the players into a playstyle. 

What do you mean by this?

Edited by Drowsy Emperor

I don't like the "realz". The universe blessed me with full control of my right index finger, so as such, I don't want to have artificial limitations on: resting, healing, saving, timers, etc. I honestly find it weird that so much energy is spent preventing certain play styles just to "save people from ruining their own games by using a feature too much". But its not my headache so I don't have a dog in this fight. Or money. :lol: 

• Like 1

I also recall a rumour or idea flying about a year or so back regarding Obsidian wanting to acquire the rights for Dune. If I recall correctly Feargus mentioned something about it in the Deadfire Fig campaign closer stream, but more as an "I'd like to do this" than "we're *doing* this". Nothing new since however, so I reckon a rumour or fancy is all it was in the end. Still, that would also be nice to see.

Feargus acquiring licensing of Villeneuve's Dune would be a dream project for me.

• Like 1

I would like a game expansion set in an underwater kingdom, but besides that I'm cool for anything.  However, I don't know if grimdark stuff suits their writing style. 

I think fantastic versions of different historical periods might be more in their (or at least Josh's) comfort zone.  The French Revolution, Warring States, Aztec themed, Crusades that picked up on how messy that time period was, and the expansion of the Roman Empire would be really cool.  I'd like to see another Industrial Revolution game, but I legitimately doubt that a game can say much more than Arcanum did.

As I recall Tyranny didn't utilize crowdfunding and neither does the Tim and Leonard project. Sawyer has said he might not be director of the next Pillars should there be one and he apparently would like to make something he likes more, rather than making a games for other people based on nostalgia.

As I recall Tyranny didn't utilize crowdfunding and neither does the Tim and Leonard project. Sawyer has said he might not be director of the next Pillars should there be one and he apparently would like to make something he likes more, rather than making a games for other people based on nostalgia.

Tyranny and "Cainarsky" both have publishers, that's why. Paradox and Take-Two's Private Division respectively.

Looking over Deadfire content, I came to the realization that Obsidian now has ready made tech, credibility and player base to finance and support their own sci-fi RPG. In particular, Deadfire's new ship system immediately suggested to me the potential of a game set in a science-fantasy setting such as WH40K Rogue Trader or Fading Suns, where you could possess your own spaceship, visit planets, plausibly (insofar as science-fantasy is plausible) engage in ranged and melee combat and explore 'the dark between the stars'.

Unlike Mass Effect, this game would not be an homage to the high tech, sci-fi series of the 90s - rather it would be a seamless combination of science fiction technology and a medieval world of the sort seen in Dune, Star Wars, Gene Wolfe's New Sun book series, and the aforementioned RPG settings. It would also play like PoE, aka like the Infinity Engine games, rather than as an action game.  

I would personally love for it to be the Fading Suns, because its a perfect kitchen sink setting, but I'd also support Obsidian making their own IP, with my Kickstarter money.

Is there any interest in this among the playerbase?

I'm nursing a semi.

The thought of a Obsidian Rogue Trader game...  :wub:

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Sure, I'd pretty much play anything built with the same engine/gameplay style.

And yeah, I would get more excited about running a ship if we were talking about a space ship instead ;)
That's basically what The Mandate promised before it died (*sigh* and I backed that game...)

• Like 1

science-fantasy

I’d much rather a near-future scifi-noir detective mystery setup grounded in reality (even if not too strictly so, at least as much that it can be relatable). With open ended, reactive, and systems heavy gameplay and narrative.

• Like 1

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

There is a detective noir RPG coming up, although it's not sci-fi. 

Blizzard has sanctioned multiple PnP RPG products over the years (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft), but seems not too enthused to make a narrative driven RPG, probably because it's too execution dependent.