Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

Josh on VO work

"Basically more lines -> actors get more exhausted -> worse performance -> shrinking of dialogues."

Josh

There are both union rules and common practices that prevent this. We record at a standard pace, take breaks at the top of every hour, and don't have sessions longer than 4 hours in a day. If a character has a lot of lines, the actor has multiple sessions over multiple days.

Edited by draego
  • Like 2

Anyone has any idea what the "something is incoming today" is?Thanks to the time zone I have no idea what time period is considered "today" in America, so how long is 'today' left again?

Probably nothing is coming, I haven't seen it being mentioned anywhere. The only thing that is coming is another twitch stream tomorrow:

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96978-deadfire-sneak-peak-with-josh-sawyer-wed-april-25th/?do=findComment&comment=1999145

They're sure taking their sweet time to start up the hype train  :getlost:

• Like 1

Josh has had a bunch of tweets in the last hour or so expanding on his point in an interview a few days ago that it'd be nice if CRPG fans were more accepting of games moving in non-traditional directions.  Here's the first one.  Some of the rest are threaded to it but others aren't, and they're not Deadfire-related, so I can't be bothered to link them all.

Anyhow, he closes with this:

okay i'm going back to work on the pillars TTRPG, which is about as non-traditional as the pillars CRPGs are traditional. thanks for reading. i don't hate gamers (any more than other people). bye.

EDIT: Aslo this.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 3

Josh on swords

Zore posted:

I mean I get that this is mostly true, but swords are also by far the most popular melee choice and the game loving overloads you with types of sword, unique swords and give them better base stats than like clubs or axes so I'm not sure it totally tracks.

As other people in this thread have already pointed out, clubs (in Deadfire, at least) are extremely potent if you have anyone in your party targeting Will and battle axes can do massive damage if used properly. Swords have best of Slash/Pierce, but all best of weapons now have 1 Pen lower than weapons that have a single damage type -- which is still a net bonus, but circumstantially worse when the target has the same AR vs. both types.

Swords are a popular melee choice because people love swords for various reasons (I'm not that stuck on them, personally). There are several categories of sword because D&D has a bunch of them, too. The only reason capital S Swords got overrepresented in uniques is because backers and designers kept designing them in spite of my requests not to.

I still think that maces and warhammers (in Deadfire at least) are generally more useful one-handed weapons and I prefer pikes and quarterstaves (especially) for distance. Morningstars are best of Crush/Pierce and do identical damage to greatswords. If you have anyone who regularly targets Fortitude, the morningstar modal is fantastic IME.
Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Josh on ranged weapons

Zore posted:

Ugh.

Is pierce still the most resisted damage type? I'm getting the feeling that someone on the dev team really doesn't like guns.

They still do massive damage in the right hands. I consistently use guns in my playthroughs. I think my personal favorite ranged weapons are arquebuses (for damage), pistols (for a faster shot cadence with heavy damage), war bows (for Overdraw), crossbows (for Knockdown), and sceptres (overall versatility).

And here

Furism posted:

That is indeed the curse of ranged characters 

It's just the curse of guns. I think Hunting Bows and War Bows are now best of Pierce/Slash and at least two of the implements have best of damage.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Wow. Sure sounds like the guy could use some rest.

It happens when you have to deal with unreasonable people that sometimes even offend you instead of trying to understand what you are actually saying. Doesn't take much to avoid these things, just respect your interlocutor and have a bit of common sense.

To be honest I'm impressed that he (and other people in the industry) is usually pretty calm and willing to explain even when he's a target of random hatred. I mean there are places on the web where people do just that, unload the frustration in their lives (look at a famous RPG site that anyone knows...).

Edited by Daled
  • Like 8

Josh has had a bunch of tweets in the last hour or so expanding on his point in an interview a few days ago that it'd be nice if CRPG fans were more accepting of games moving in non-traditional directions.  Here's the first one.  Some of the rest are threaded to it but others aren't, and they're not Deadfire-related, so I can't be bothered to link them all.

Anyhow, he closes with this:

okay i'm going back to work on the pillars TTRPG, which is about as non-traditional as the pillars CRPGs are traditional. thanks for reading. i don't hate gamers (any more than other people). bye.

EDIT: Aslo this.

Tbh though, I'm not sure what josh has in mind when citing non-traditional crpgs. Also which crowd is he chastising, because there are people of different tastes.

I'd like to hear about the direction he hopes rpgs to be able to grow into.

Wow. Sure sounds like the guy could use some rest.

It happens when you have to deal with unreasonable people that sometimes even offend you instead of trying to understand what you are actually saying. Doesn't take much to avoid these things, just respect your interlocutor and have a bit of common sense.

To be honest I'm impressed that he (and other people in the industry) is usually pretty calm and willing to explain even when he's a target of random hatred. I mean there are places on the web where people do just that, unload the frustration in their lives (look at a famous RPG site that anyone knows...).

I get that. I'm just surprised that Josh seemed to care in the sense that he gave the replies he did. I mean he's been in the business for so long that I thought he would have the common sense to just ignore the trolls. And that is why I said he must be tired, because he took the bait.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

From what I get Josh wanted to try new things for Deadfire or even Pillars. Old-school fans and Obsidian head were against it because they wanted the game to be successful. Now that Deadfire is done Josh can work on his take on pnp rpgs and talk about whatever he thinks about crpgs freely.

I'm all in for experimentation in rpgs but not for the sake of it. Most games that tried weird stuff (like Undertale or Stick of Truth that Josh refers, for instance) I wouldn't categorizing them as rpgs even, since there is no roleplay involved - just interesting ideas in general. Funny enough, though, as far as roleplay is concerned, I believe Pillars and New Vegas have done the best in the entire crpg history up to now. Pillars is a traditional game, by Sawyer terms.

Edit: I thought the "C" in CRPG stood for something else. 

Edited by Alot

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

So Skyrim is not a computer roleplaying game? What is your definition of that term then?

Don’t get me started... :p

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

From what I get Josh wanted to try new things for Deadfire or even Pillars. Old-school fans and Obsidian head were against it because they wanted the game to be successful. Now that Deadfire is done Josh can work on his take on pnp rpgs and talk about whatever he thinks about crpgs freely.

I'm all in for experimentation in rpgs but not for the sake of it. Most games that tried weird stuff (like Undertale or Stick of Truth that Josh refers, for instance) I wouldn't categorizing them as rpgs even, since there is no roleplay involved - just interesting ideas in general. Funny enough, though, as far as roleplay is concerned, I believe Pillars and New Vegas have done the best in the entire crpg history up to now. Pillars is a traditional game, by Sawyer terms.

My 2 cents:

There is no ultimate definition of role playing game

For me, RPGs have usually the following things:

( no specific order, not a complete list, there will be exceptions)

- You have one or more characters in this game, usually they are humanoid.

- There is a main story ( and maybe side stories) and you lead your char through this story.

- Your character(s) get stronger during the game.

- You have stats and equipment.

- You talk to other chars and there is lots of text in general.

- There are quests and you get rewards for doing them.

- There is combat and success in combat depends on your stats, equipment and tactics.

By my definition, "classical" RPGs like BG or PoE, JRPGS like Final Fantasy and "weird stuff" like undertale or south park are all Role playing games.

And now comes the most importent thing:

I do not care if a computer game is considered a role playing game according to the definition of you, me or anybody else. The most importent game for me is that I enjoy playing the game. Many games that I like have been called RPG by many other people, so it looks like I really like RPGs.

But I like also many games that are definitely not an RPG and there are also tons of bad RPGs I would never play.

• Like 2

For me trhe definition of an rpg is clear and simple: there has to be some extent of roleplaying involved.

What @Madscientist describes can be features in any game. If there is no roleplay involved, I just count it as an adventure game or whatever game with some rpg features, but not a roleplaying game.

Far Cry has inventory, is it a roleplaying game? no.

Monkey Island has tons of dialogue, is it a roleplaying game? no.

Heroes of Might and Magic has fights and leveling, is it a roleplaying game? no.
Diablo has all the above, is it a roleplaying game? no.

Mass Effect 2 has no inventory but it lets you decide the character of Shepperd to an extent as you progress through the game. Is it a roleplaying game? wel... yeas, it just is of narrower scope.

In Pillars of Eternity you create a character and the features you chose for your character lets you play as that character in a world that recognizes him or her as that character. Is it a roleplaying game? yup!

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1