Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

I'm curious about the final wordcount for the game now too. Mind, not because I believe it's been deliberately reduced to accomodate for full VO or any such theories but because I'm curious about the amount of text relative to the original game, and how many words and lines the "full dialogue VO" actually amounts to (or close to). I know the idea from the start's been to make it a less dense read than the first Pillars but I wonder if that amounts to a smaller wordcount or more along the likes of a better distribution of exposition and dialogue and information across a larger game and so on.

I think that with the inclusion of the Tyranny “keyword” system, it’s probably more the latter; more words but clobbering you over the head with exposition so that you know what they mean.
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Ugh I dislike that Josh explains the entire plot hook at the start of the interview.  I prefer to have the storyline secret, for me to discover playing though the game myself.

I wish you guys had warned me that there was story spoilers.  I wouldn't have clicked on it.  Oh well.

No one could have predicted you didn't even know what was revealed when the Fig campaign started. Nothing was talked about that wasn't known since they launched the fundraising campaign.

Ugh I dislike that Josh explains the entire plot hook at the start of the interview.  I prefer to have the storyline secret, for me to discover playing though the game myself.

I wish you guys had warned me that there was story spoilers.  I wouldn't have clicked on it.  Oh well.

No one could have predicted you didn't even know what was revealed when the Fig campaign started. Nothing was talked about that wasn't known since they launched the fundraising campaign.

SPOILERS

"destroys your castle"

"takes a piece of your soul"

"marches across the ocean"

"the plot hook is you're chasing the statue"

Yeah not all of those details were in the Fig video as far as I remember.

Thanks for the snarky, unconstructive comment, though.

SPOILERS

"destroys your castle"

Yeah not all of those details were in the Fig video as far as I remember.

Thanks for the snarky, unconstructive comment, though.

Yeah, that's all been known for a really long time, it's sort of amazing you could follow the game enough to be a regular on the official forums and not know that. And no, I wasn't trying to be helpful, so no thanks needed. :)

EDIT - Yeah, everything in your spoiler tag has been around since Jan 2017 when the campaign was launched. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/01/26/pillars-of-eternity-2-announced/

But some actual advice - if you are worried about spoilers, even to the point where you don't want to know the game's very setup/premise, you should really go into a media blackout because I have a feeling we're going to get a lot of coverage starting around a week from now. I imagine around early May popular streamers are going to have access to show like the "first 6 hours" or something.

Edited by bleedthefreak
  • Like 2

Ugh I dislike that Josh explains the entire plot hook at the start of the interview. I prefer to have the storyline secret, for me to discover playing though the game myself.

I wish you guys had warned me that there was story spoilers. I wouldn't have clicked on it. Oh well.

Nothing that takes place in the tutorial is a spoiler
  • Like 3

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

You literally *watch* all that happen for the first 60 seconds of the Fig campaigns launch trailer...

I just watched it and it literally does not even mention/show any of this:

Edited by Yosharian

I too knew all that. What wasn’t in the launch trailer was in articles and interviews during the Fig campaign, or the QA streams.

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Did... you not see Eothas sucking out souls of people? What did you think happened to your Watcher? It's very unambigious that same thing happened to you.

And even if we did not have that, as Baltic said, the tagline for the game confirms it very clearly: ‘Hunt a god. Save your soul.’

All of which takes place before the game starts - it's not the main plot, it's the setup.

It's like learning that in PoE you're part of a caravan arriving in a new place and you feel sick.

Edit: unless the tutorial has us running round Caed Nua at level 16 before Eothas shows up.

Edited by Silent Winter

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

All of which takes place before the game starts - it's not the main plot, it's the setup.

It's like learning that in PoE you're part of a caravan arriving in a new place and you feel sick.

Edit: unless the tutorial has us running round Caed Nua at level 16 before Eothas shows up.

The last thing the Dyrwood needs is another foreign colony.

• Like 4

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

These early plot points are always considered fair game. I wish they wouldn't do it to but realistically they have no choice. You have to market something. If you want to be completely in the dark you basically need to follow nothing until release day.

Still, there's way more egregious examples than this. Every single preview of KOTOR 2 spoiled the HK-50 reveal at Peragus. That would have been a cool moment as a surprise.

No it's not, it's like learning about Thaos and that you spend the game chasing him and that he turned you into a Watcher

Ugh I dislike that Josh explains the entire plot hook at the start of the interview. I prefer to have the storyline secret, for me to discover playing though the game myself.

I wish you guys had warned me that there was story spoilers. I wouldn't have clicked on it. Oh well.

These early plot points are always considered fair game. I wish they wouldn't do it to but realistically they have no choice. You have to market something. If you want to be completely in the dark you basically need to follow nothing until release day.

Still, there's way more egregious examples than this. Every single preview of KOTOR 2 spoiled the HK-50 reveal at Peragus. That would have been a cool moment as a surprise.

I suppose so

No it's not, it's like learning about Thaos and that you spend the game chasing him and that he turned you into a Watcher

Only if Deadfire follows the same basic plot format as Pillars did, but given what has been revealed about it it won't. The whole thing about Eothas reawakening in the Od Nua statue, draining the Watcher's soul (and everyone else around) and wandering off into the sea is the setup for Deadfire. Unlike Pillars the mystery won't be what has happened but why

• Like 4

You know all of that but Thaos' name before playing if you followed POE1 development. The prologue with the caravan leading up to the end of Cilant Lis was used in most of the hands on previews.

Edited by The Sharmat

You know all of that but Thaos' name before playing if you followed POE1 development. The prologue with the caravan leading up to the end of Cilant Lis was used in most of the hands on previews.

Correction: you know there's a mysterious bloke with a weird hat using a weird spinny machine that makes biawacs. I wouldn't say you know all about Thaos at that point in the game.

• Like 1

It doesn't take a great leap of logic to assign some responsibility to that dude about your awakening, any more than it would take to suspect that the giant Eothas statue marches into the ocean after the prologue of POE 2 what with the game taking place in the Deadfire and all.

• Like 1

It doesn't take a great leap of logic to assign some responsibility to that dude about your awakening, any more than it would take to suspect that the giant Eothas statue marches into the ocean after the prologue of POE 2 what with the game taking place in the Deadfire and all.

I just noticed that I misread your post and that you said "all [...] but Thaos' name" so yeah, I mostly agree.

No it's really not - that happens during the game.

(again - I'm wrong if we get to run around Caed Nua at level 16 before Eothas shows up - but I'm betting that's in the opening video/narration montage).

The 'hunt a god, save your soul' thing is in the slogan.

For PoE 1 the equivalent was 'no sleep for the watcher' which was way more mysterious.  I can't remember what exactly they gave away in the early PoE vids but I think it was more 'feels' of isometric 3D "Did you like BG/IWD/PST?  Then this is for you!  [fireball-wheee!])

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat: