Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

How dare Josh piss off Aloth.

Edit: I cannot read.

Edited by Alot

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

But I still don’t know what that has to do with you coming on here and accusing Josh of saying something that he didn’t (and wouldn’t even make sense for him to say if he did). No matter.

I didn't accuse him of saying something he didn't. I quoted him verbatim. I think now that we've discussed my original post, it's not entirely clear what he meant by what he said; and what he meant to say by what he said is open to interpretation.
Ah, post-modernism strikes again. Words are just things. None of them mean anything. Context is an illusion.

Appropo of nothing, you stated, “At around the 22 minute mark of the video, Josh admitted to multi classing to be stronger than single classing.”

Words pretty close to that did come out of his mouth, but liberal use of the past tense makes it obvious that he is not talking about the current version of the game. As of yet you’ve not provided an explanation as to why he would be talking about a current version.

So what it comes down to is your use of the word “admit”. In fact you used it in both threads. What does it mean to “admit” something? It means to accept as true. The implication being that he was somehow in denial about something. The fact that there was a major overhaul of multiclass & singleclass balance between version 3 & 4 demonstrates that he is not. So to use the word “admit” is to *accuse* him of saying something that he did not and wouldn’t even make sense if he did.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Okay I have no idea how good this system will actually be, but the interface has me excited.
Previously undisclosed 5th faction?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Not Josh-- the screenshot is attributed to Narrative Designer Kate Dollarhyde.  

If I'm reading this right, Kate has been favoring the Principi in this playthrough.  Not entirely surprising that Aloth wouldn't be at his happiest when hanging out with a bunch of sweaty pirates.  

• Like 1

It was covered at length in the multiclass updates and I’m pretty sure it’s come up in the Dev Q&As too.

Got it, I probably either missed it way back when or I forgot. So in any case, I feel like single- and multi- class both have a lot of ways to offer something to the player, and there isn't really an imbalance by and large, excepting for the potential combos players come up with of course, but that's half the fun (and in a single player game, isn't some imbalance totally cool... ideal, even?). 

Not Josh-- the screenshot is attributed to Narrative Designer Kate Dollarhyde.  

If I'm reading this right, Kate has been favoring the Principi in this playthrough.  Not entirely surprising that Aloth wouldn't be at his happiest when hanging out with a bunch of sweaty pirates.  

You are absolutely correct, I cannot read. 

• Like 2

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

"It is not Baldur's Gate 3 he yearns to play. It is the experience of playing Baldur's Gate for the first time."

It was covered at length in the multiclass updates and I’m pretty sure it’s come up in the Dev Q&As too.

Got it, I probably either missed it way back when or I forgot. So in any case, I feel like single- and multi- class both have a lot of ways to offer something to the player, and there isn't really an imbalance by and large, excepting for the potential combos players come up with of course, but that's half the fun (and in a single player game, isn't some imbalance totally cool... ideal, even?).

Absolutely. I have a sneaking suspicion that 9th level empowered abilities are going to feel pretty ridiculous, so I don’t feel too bad about the party members that I know I’m going to multiclass only have 7th level powers. But that may change when I see the final game ;)

So what it comes down to is your use of the word “admit”. In fact you used it in both threads. What does it mean to “admit” something? It means to accept as true. The implication being that he was somehow in denial about something. The fact that there was a major overhaul of multiclass & singleclass balance between version 3 & 4 demonstrates that he is not. So to use the word “admit” is to *accuse* him of saying something that he did not and wouldn’t even make sense if he did.

Here you're just warping nothing into something to prove that you're right about me accusing Josh of saying something he didn't. 

All I did was say he said something and then quote what he said and comment about what he said.

All I did was say he said something and then quote what he said and comment about what he said.

You plucked a single sentence out of the middle of the paragraph and insisted that it said something that it couldn’t possibly mean within its context. That’s either obtuse or dishonest. At this point I don’t really care which.

You plucked a single sentence out of the middle of the paragraph and insisted that it said something that it couldn’t possibly mean within its context. That’s either obtuse or dishonest. At this point I don’t really care which.

You obviously care because you need to keep calling me slanderous names. 

Dishonest? how does that apply to me? 

Obtuse? that's just you being mean.  It's like saying, "You're stupid."  Come on, Really?

Not entirely surprising that Aloth wouldn't be at his happiest when hanging out with a bunch of sweaty pirates.

Careful, you'll turn this thread into another romance discussion :lol:

Aloth, not so much. Iselmyr on the other hand...

You obviously care because you need to keep calling me slanderous names.

Dishonest? how does that apply to me?

Obtuse? that's just you being mean. It's like saying, "You're stupid." Come on, Really?

You misrepresented what he said.

A) this was intentional (implying that you have an agenda) or

B) you didn’t understand what you were reading within its context (aka “confused”)

I think if you look back, neither one of these possible explanations contains new information; this was the language I used in my initial response.

Can somebody give me a rundown of all these factions icons? Which is which? I don't recognize like half of them.

• Blue upside down crown = Principi
  • Crossed Cannons = Royal Deadfire Company
  • Set of Scales = Vailian Trading Company
  • The "ninja star" over waves = Huana
  • Snake = mysterious fifth faction

Not sure what the symbols above of the factions represent. The symbols below the companions represent dispositions.

• Like 3

Can somebody give me a rundown of all these factions icons? Which is which? I don't recognize like half of them.

4 of the 5 on the upper, inside circle are major factions that they’ve talked openly about. The 5th looks like something new.

The upper, outer circle is a mystery. Maybe figureheads within those factions, however I don’t know why they wouldn’t be next to their “houses” if that were the case.

B) you didn’t understand what you were reading within its context (aka “confused”)

I think if you look back, neither one of these possible explanations contains new information; this was the language I used in my initial response.

I did not misrepresent what he said.  I quoted him, then commented on the exact words that came out of his mouth.

You are misrepresenting me.

A) Does not apply.  You've deliberately misconstrued my "agenda".

B) I understood.

I did not misrepresent what he said. I quoted him, then commented on the exact words that came out of his mouth.

You are misrepresenting me.

A) Does not apply. You've deliberately misconstrued my "agenda".

B) I understood.

If A doesn’t apply then that only leaves B. Have a nice day :)

Not sure what the symbols above of the factions represent. The symbols below the companions represent dispositions.

Royal Deadfire Company - that's Rauatai, right? 

For factions with small icons:

I think the black one with snake jaw is Hand Occult, maybe? Or maybe it is the big one with the snake?

Five Suns in a circle obviously something Vailian Republic-y.

Purple with three stars is probably this. Eothas related? Night Market?

Dunno about the hands holding a lightbulb(?) though.

Edited by Aramintai
  • Like 2

Royal Deadfire Company - that's Rauatai, right? 

Yep.

For factions with small icons:

I think the black one with snake jaw is Hand Occult, maybe? Or maybe it is the big one with the snake?

Five Suns in a circle obviously something Vailian Republic-y.

Purple with three stars is probably this. Eothas related?

Dunno about the hands holding a lightbulb(?) though.

The Hand Occult seems likely given Josh mentioned them in the latest Q&A thread.

The hand holding a lightbulb might represent progress in the form of animancy perhaps, although that would be a little too similar to PoE I guess.

The symbols above the factions are probably minor factions. The icon with the 3 yellow stars on a purple background refers to a faction called "Children of the Dawnstars". The wiki unfortunately doesn't provide a source for this piece of information.

• Like 2

The Sharmat on Sensuki:

The symbols above the factions are probably minor factions. The icon with the 3 yellow stars on a purple background refers to a faction called "Children of the Dawnstars". The wiki unfortunately doesn't provide a source for this piece of information.

Cool. I'd guess they are people who are pro-giant statue Eothas given the name.

You know it. People see weird unexplainable stuff in the world, good chance is they gonna start worshiping organizations around it.

All in all it's good to see so many factions in the game, but I gotta say I don't particularly like that UI and all those disposition icons are still confusing af in dialogues. I preferred it much better in POE1 when it was plain text that told me exactly what it was.

• Like 1