Josh Sawyer's tweets and teasers, part III

1st thread - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/92515-josh-sawyers-tweets-and-teasers/?hl=%2Btweets+%2Band+%2Bteasers

2nd thread - https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/96213-josh-sawyers-tweets-and-teasers-part-2/page-37?do=findComment&comment=1989066

Discuss.

Please keep the keelhauling and plank-walking to a minimum, and board another ship at your own risk.  Arrrr.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Josh is carrying the bazooka wrong, it should be the other way around (though to be fair, he acknowledged this years ago). I think he was handed it at a party, and the picture was taken right afterwards.

What if his target is behind him? Then he's holding it correctly*.

*But still doing it wrong. :)

• Like 1

Josh is carrying the bazooka wrong, it should be the other way around (though to be fair, he acknowledged this years ago). I think he was handed it at a party, and the picture was taken right afterwards.

It's a AT4, right? Looks like the same type I handled when I did my military service.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

Though I don't know what this has to do with his posts about Pillars :p

Welcome to Part 3 of this thread :(
  • Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

“Thing we never had before, ruined forever. Film at 11”

• Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Wildstrike lashes no longer apply to spell damage ("weapon damage" only), so druid/wizard DD spells are strictly worse than single-class DD. Major nerf for multi-class offensive casters.

Oh no, does that mean a single classed wizard is better at being a wizard than a multi-classed wizard?!

The horror!

• Like 2

Wildstrike lashes no longer apply to spell damage ("weapon damage" only), so druid/wizard DD spells are strictly worse than single-class DD. Major nerf for multi-class offensive casters.

Oh no, does that mean a single classed wizard is better at being a wizard than a multi-classed wizard?!

The horror!

Oh my god. This means Josh wasn’t lying when he said that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work. How can I trust anything ever again?
  • Like 3

The horror!

Oh my god. This means Josh wasn’t lying when he said that’s exactly how it’s supposed to work. How can I trust anything ever again?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OsLu9loEiM
  • Like 2

Wildstrike lashes applied their bonus to spells??

Yup. As did the lash from Priest's spiritual weapons. As you might imagine, +50% damage was pretty insane, particular with Might (or Resolve) being multiplicative rather than additive.

It seemed obvious that it was a bug to me. Did Josh actually saying it was working as intended?

Wildstrike lashes applied their bonus to spells??

Yup. As did the lash from Priest's spiritual weapons. As you might imagine, +50% damage was pretty insane, particular with Might (or Resolve) being multiplicative rather than additive.

It seemed obvious that it was a bug to me. Did Josh actually saying it was working as intended?

It could just be a coincidence that Priest and Druid spells got large damage buffs. Huge in the Priest case (now can do 50 base damage). 

Perhaps having less base spell damage but being able to use Spiritshift or Spiritual Weapon for a significant damage boost was just too complicated for some people.

Now a DD Monk/Caster caster is also pretty pointless except for Helwalker (once Strength reverts to Might).

Meanwhile, caster/melee multi-class still gets the same large boost to weapon damage from the lashes.

Edited by SaruNi

Perhaps having less base spell damage but being able to use Spiritshift or Spiritual Weapon for a significant damage boost was just too complicated for some people.

More likely it didn't balance well with Wizard/Druid and Wizard/Priest multiclasses. Either you make Wizard spells lower damage to take into account the bonus that these multiclass characters would get, making single class Wizards poor damage dealers, or you leave Wizard spells at reasonable damage levels and make Wizard/Druids and Wizard/Priests overpowered.

Now a DD Monk/Caster caster is also pretty pointless except for Helwalker (once Strength reverts to Might).

Not really. Monks synergise extremely well with Citzal's Spirit Lance as it currently is. More generally the Wizard has lots of instant cast self buffs that work well with any melee class.

Meanwhile, caster/melee multi-class still gets the same large boost to weapon damage from the lashes.

True. I can't say without testing whether this is balanced or not. It certainly seems like a powerful option.

Edited by JerekKruger

Not really. Monks synergise extremely well with Citzal's Spirit Lance as it currently is. More generally the Wizard has lots of instant cast self buffs that work well with any melee class.

Specified DD caster Monk multiclass, not weapons user/melee. Cool unconventional concept that now seems mostly pointless (except for Dance of Death).

Taking higher level spells into account, single-class Wizard and multi-class with lashes probably would have been balanced. Now it's not. The one extra spell cast you get from multi-class doesn't help much, and there isn't enough difference between Wizard and Druid DD spells for multi-class DD caster to benefit much from spell diversity relative to single-class.

Edited by SaruNi

Specified DD caster Monk multiclass, not weapons user/melee. Cool unconventional concept that now seems mostly pointless (except for Dance of Death).

Ah my bad. Do abilities like Swift Strikes reduce recovery or spells at all? I believe Frenzy did in Pillars.

Taking higher level spells into account, single-class Wizard and multi-class with lashes probably would have been balanced.

Doubt it. +50% multiplicative damage bonus is pretty huge. The higher level spells would have to be pretty insane.

Edited by JerekKruger

Ah my bad. Do abilities like Swift Strikes reduce recovery or spells at all? I believe Frenzy did in Pillars.

Taking higher level spells into account, single-class Wizard and multi-class with lashes probably would have been balanced.

Doubt it. +50% multiplicative damage bonus is pretty huge. The higher level spells would have to be pretty insane.

The Spiritual Weapon lash being tempered by the 6 second casting time, and Priest spells not doing much base damage before....

Anyone checked if Barbarian +25% damage from Blooded applies to spells? It seems to be the only +damage now that doesn't specify "weapon damage" only. Plenty of ways to increase weapon damage via multiclassing, no viable ways to significantly increase spell damage (not counting summoned weapons etc.) aside from bonus might or penetration and accuracy....

Edited by SaruNi

no viable ways to significantly increase spell damage (not counting summoned weapons etc.) aside from bonus might or penetration and accuracy....

That's sort of how it was in Pillars. Spells had high base damage but spell casters had very few +damage bonuses (Priest's Minor Avatar was one). Worked fine there I'd say.

no viable ways to significantly increase spell damage (not counting summoned weapons etc.) aside from bonus might or penetration and accuracy....

That's sort of how it was in Pillars. Spells had high base damage but spell casters had very few +damage bonuses (Priest's Minor Avatar was one). Worked fine there I'd say.

Spells had high base damage, short casting time, and high accuracy.

Now spells have long casting times, less base damage, and much lower accuracy.

Having higher base damage but fewer ways to strategically increase damage using builds or abilities just makes the character creation aspect of the game more boring and simplistic. 

Now spells have long casting times, less base damage, and much lower accuracy.

No argument there: spells seem overly nerfed in Deadfire.

Having higher base damage but fewer ways to strategically increase damage using builds or abilities just makes the character creation aspect of the game more boring and simplistic. 

Never found that to be the case in Pillars, can't see any reason it would become the case in Deadfire.

Edited by JerekKruger