I was being completely serious....

Killing is killing. There is no law against killing/murdering animals which invade your home or attack you. At least not in America and this happens quite often, more than any of us would think. And very brutal too. The other day, I saw a young man trying to shoot a roach with a pellet rifle. Should it be illegal? Yes. Every living organism lives, breathes and has a soul, every animal benefits the ecosystem.

There is no place where nudity is accepted with the exclusion of somewhere like nude beaches but if we want to get specific and say "Somewhere in the world there are civilizations where nudity is the norm" well I mean, yeah, there are actually more places where canabalism and murder of one's own species is the norm and is encouraged.

And the answer is "No." There are just as many games if not more games on Steam which feature nudity than violence. We are not in the 90's anymore where violence is dominant in the gaming industry and nudity is a rarity. Just click on the nudity or sexual content tabs on Steam's store page (yes, Steam has "nudity" & "sexual content" tag) and you will see what I am talking about. If anything, nudity is even coupled with high violence but this does not make the two relatable or comparable as some people want to believe.

It's not that nudity is a rarity in gaming which causes people to ask for it, it's that people expect it. If devs don't do it, they beg or demand it and say "Why isn't it here when it's a standard?" There's also raging hormones to consider and the socially inept shy kids who are not great at talking to women in real life so they live it in dating sims which are thousands of games where players are rewarded with waifu sex and nude/hentai pics if they make their drawn gf's happy.

What's more is that the exaggeration of blood and gore in games has never been intentionally to be over the top, devs can't shoot real people without self defense so they do stuff like shoot a watermelon, and try their best to replicate it but it's always beneficial to the game. For example, Wolfenstein: The New Order... in nearly every serious review a writer will say something similar to "Duel-weilding guns feel satisfying as they pop nazi's heads off and do damage to the environment". This helps the atmosphere, the level of expected realism as well as the experience.

Nudity and sexuality in games is exaggerated for stimulation of the player's mind which (obviously) boosts sales as a marketing tactic. This is common as it is in movies. If it's over the top in video games like rpg's and visual novels, it's not beneficial to the game but tricks the player into thinking it is because they like what they see. For the game it's pointless but not pointless for sales.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Killing is killing. There is no law against killing/murdering animals which invade your home or attack you.

I'm talking about humans. You kill a lot of humans in games. Such murdering is prohibited in every society on earth.

There is no place where nudity is accepted with the exclusion of somewhere like nude beaches but if we want to get specific and say "Somewhere in the world there are civilizations where nudity is the norm" well I mean, yeah, there are actually more places where canabalism and murder of one's own species is the norm and is encouraged.

When did I ever speak about public nudity? I was talking about consentual sex between two adults. I'm sorry if I forgot to add; "not in public".

And the answer is "No." There are just as many games if not more games on Steam which feature nudity than violence.

Fair point. We are moving towards a greater acceptance of nudity in games, however it's still not the norm in the traditional RPG market, but the Witcher, Mass Effect and Dragon Age have certainly pushed the limits forward to be sure.

My initial point however was that extreme violence have always been the norm in computer games so it's never given an afterthought. Relationships, sex and nudity has long been frowned upon and generally generete much heated debate. And one would assume it would be the opposite, given how sex is something natural and necessary, which violence is not.

What's more is that the exaggeration of blood and gore in games has never been intentionally to be over the top

Of course violence exaggerated in plenty of games. Under what rock have you've been living? :)

Nudity and sexuality in games is exaggerated for stimulation of the player's mind

In what way are Cassandra's breasts or Dorian's butt exaggerated in DA:I? It is what it is.

which (obviously) boosts sales as a marketing tactic. This is common as it is in movies. If it's over the top in video games like rpg's and visual novels, it's not beneficial to the game but tricks the player into thinking it is because they like what they see. For the game it's pointless but not pointless for sales.

Sure it can be a marketing tactic. Just like violence can be. So that doesn't explain why nudity and romance is frowned upon, but violence is not.

• Like 2

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

No it does not but why else would you want nudity in a game? Does it make it more artistic? I am not trying to be sarcastic I really want to know. I just don’t find it relevant.

Nudity and sex are part of the human experience, which is what art explores. Including it for the sake of including it won't make a game more artistic, but not including it out of the fear of a(n irrational, in my opinion,) taboo might make it less so.

In the case of Deadfire, the only nudity that we know for sure I'd in the game is a nude man, facing away from the camera, in a bath house (there might be more, but that's the only thing we're certain of). In this particular case I'd say that it would detract from the scene to have everyone dressed: it would be an obvious pandering to (in particular American) society's attitude to nudity.

• Like 3

Thanks for talking with me, I couldn't sleep and enjoyed our conversation. You took alot of time to reply to me so I just wanted to let you know I read it and enjoyed readimg it. Unfortunately my eyes are so tired I can no longer write lol

• Like 2

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

There is only one purpose of blood and gore, which is to represent death.

Tell that to Surgery Simulator 2000*

To my knowledge, there's never been a movement of people asking for blood, gore and giblets in a game but there are thousands of threads asking devs for them to add nudity and romances in their game. Strange.

We were asking for gibs during PoE1 development**

*Disclaimer: may not be a real game

**Disclaimer: the good fight was easily won, not sure it can be classified as a movement.

In before someone makes a point of gibbing all the naked people in the game.  (not me though. I think the orlans should be able to enjoy their bathtime without worrying about a group of trigger-happy adventurers).

Killing is killing. There is no law against killing/murdering animals which invade your home or attack you.

I'm talking about humans. You kill a lot of humans in games. Such murdering is prohibited in every society on earth.

Don't forget the Orlans and Aumaua***

***Disclaimer: Am unaware of any real-world laws protecting the aforementioned.

• Like 1

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Nudity is included because Sex Sells. It's always about money, or sex.

That's all.

Sometimes it’s about not having fully clothed people in a bathhouse because someone might be offended by a naked butt. Edited by Achilles
  • Like 5

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Nudity is included because Sex Sells. It's always about money, or sex.

That's all.

Sometimes it’s about not having fully clothed people in a bathhouse because someone might be offended by a naked butt.

The desire to make money will overwhelmingly outweigh the feelings of the person(s) that might be offended by a naked butt.

Except nudity ≠ sex. The only definite nudity we know about is a man, in a bath house, facing away from the camera. That hardly falls under the umbrella of "sex sells".

Nudity Sells.

I used the more common known phraseology for convenience. 

My point (in long form) is that nudity is in the game because it will add to the game's allure and more people will buy it rather than less people will buy it.  Example: nudity or partial nudity, attractive models, and sexual innuendos are often used in marketing/advertising to draw more customers/consumers.

Edited by Faustus2

And that's a good thing as long as it doesn't go crazy with it. Of course what counts as too much is gonna depend hugely on the person playing. Personally I'd be rolling my eyes if the characters walked into a bathhouse and every single person was sitting in a corner wrapped in a towel.

Except nudity ≠ sex. The only definite nudity we know about is a man, in a bath house, facing away from the camera. That hardly falls under the umbrella of "sex sells".

Nudity Sells.

My point (in long form) is that nudity is in the game because it will add to the game's allure and more people will buy it rather than less people will buy it.  Example: nudity or partial nudity, attractive models, and sexual innuendos are often used in marketing/advertising to draw more customers/consumers.

I am not sure about this. I think it might be down to an avantgardistic mentality.

• Like 1

Except nudity ≠ sex. The only definite nudity we know about is a man, in a bath house, facing away from the camera. That hardly falls under the umbrella of "sex sells".

Nudity Sells.

My point (in long form) is that nudity is in the game because it will add to the game's allure and more people will buy it rather than less people will buy it. Example: nudity or partial nudity, attractive models, and sexual innuendos are often used in marketing/advertising to draw more customers/consumers.

I am not sure about this. I think it might be down to an avantgardistic mentality.
For some reason he’s convinced that 2D isometric butts are going to be a huge selling point and that Obsidian is only doing this to cash in on that fact. You know, obvious stuff. Edited by Achilles
  • Like 2

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Quick! Preorder a second copy of the game so that Faustus2 can be right.

• Like 2