A Cean Gŵla as a joinable companion

Is something that i would have always desired to have. I know that it won't be possible.

Or to be more specific, i have always wanted to be able to recruit Leyra ( for who does not remember, she is the fallen captain in Heritage Hill )

Why ?

Because i find her story tragic, plus she seemed to retain more than a little memory and intelligence of her past.

I would have liked to be able to recruit her. Help her solve the problem in Heritage Hill, and after that she could have followed you in order to obtain Revenge against the ones who created the whole incident on Heritage Hill ( or, in other words, our dear main bad guy ).

Anyway, the past is the past. But nonetheless i would like to have in PoE 2 a Cean Gŵla companion. Even if i think it will be impossible.

• Like 2

Cool idea. We already know the companions for PoE 2 but perhaps in the future?

For whatever reason this series does not have many non-standard joinable NPCs except for some very subtle things like Pallegina having her own subclass and subrace.

• Like 1

Well, i know that i would not mind paying an extra if they add a Cean Gŵla companion in the future.

And if the producers would actually modify PoE 1 in order to make Leyra joinable (and being able to follow you in PoE 2), i would probably be willing to pay even more.

“Things that would already be a thing if Chris Avellone was Game Director”

• Like 1

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I wouldn't mind seeing more companions of special/unique races (we do have Tekehu this time around who's akin to that), but I think this was already asked in a previous stream and the answer was, from what I recall, that most non-kith creatures are built in pretty different rigs to kith and so they'd require a complete overhaul of armour and items and animations and so on specifically for them, which therefore implies a lot more work for a very specific feature. The other option here would be to have a companion of a special race with no equippable items or visible items but I guess that was viewed as a bit of a half-measure (i.e. everyone likes to be able to customize their party and when you remove that choice the "unique" character doesn't feel as cool anymore and so on).

With regards to the "paying more", the question is also: is this a commonly requested or sought after feature, or something you rarely see mentioned? I have not seen anyone as of yet asking for a caen gwla companion, but I have seen a few requests for a vithrack companion, or xaurip or ogre even. Would people be interested in a caen gwla companion...? Maybe the idea would be intriguing, but would it warrant a higher price tag? On my behalf and, I suspect, that of most, certainly not. So by saying "I'd be willing to pay more", do you mean "I'd be willing to put the money it takes to make this a reality on the table", which could well be in the six digit figures, or do you mean "I'd be willing to make the game more expensive", in which case ask *everyone else* to dip into this feature personal to you? Probably the best thing to do here, if you are really passionate about this idea, is to try and mod it yourself, but as with the former option above, and just about every option too, it's much easier said than done.

But I digress. To go back to the main topic, on a personal level I would love to see a more unique companion and I have chimed in here or there about the desire for a vithrack companion (being the race that interested me most as companion material in the first game). I also think the devs are fairly aware of this desire for "weirder" companions and I think Tekehu is something of a response to it (we'll see). So I reckon they are looking into something like this and are open to including them... It just has to be viable from a production standpoint and of widespread interest for the community.

Edited by algroth

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

I think we need another game from  MCA if we want really unusual characters.

PST and MotB had some good examples, but characters who looked very different from humans usually had very limited equipment choice. A floating skull or a huge bear have big trouble if they try to wear armor. Equipment choice was very limited in PST in general.

Another problem is that a banshee is an incorporeal undead. So she cannot use any items at all. I also think most people would react strongly ( and mostly negative ) if you travel around with a ghost. Well, MotB did have a ghost as possible companion. Or maybe it would be better to call it a soul construct, which fits ferfectly to the setting of PoE.

The fact that there are almost no class or race restrictions in PoE is an importent feature so I think a possible companion should be shaped similar to a human. This means we could have possible unusual companions as:

- corporeal undead, fampyrs can be intelligent and behave like normal people if they are not too rotten. I do not know the possible pros and cons of undead in PoE. Corpse eater would be a perfect class for them, either as single class or multi classed with assassin (sneak to and overpower people to eat them) or cipher ( mind affacting spells).

- Xaurips, They cannot talk but they might be interesting, especially when you have to deal with other xaurips or dragons.

- demons, I do not know if other planes exist in the PoE universe (like DnD or the fade from Dragon Age). If yes, there may be magical creatures who are intelligent, social enough to cooperate with humans ( or forced to cooperate by a spell or contract ) and who are humanoid enough to use most equipment.

- a minor god, Maybe the engwithans did some test runs before creating the gods we know. Regarding gods and demons, the rebirth of Eothas could have created a big effect of soul energy in the world and it could have lead to the creation, summoning or revieving of some bizarre creatures.

- A product of genetic engeneering, Animancy gone wild. What happens if you combine an ogre with a naga and an orlan?

• Like 2

I personally don't care that much for weird characters. They're usually one-trick ponies that become annoying over the long haul, and they potentially take up a disproportional amount of development resources to handle the special cases. I'd rather just see a well-developed normal character with unique flaws, an interesting back-story, and deep motivations.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I personally don't care that much for weird characters. They're usually one-trick ponies that become annoying over the long haul, and they potentially take up a disproportional amount of development resources to handle the special cases. I'd rather just see a well-developed normal character with unique flaws, an interesting back-story, and deep motivations.

I submit every companion in Mask of the Betrayer as a counterpoint.
  • Like 3

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

People seem to really like Mask of the Betrayer for some reason. I am thinking I might have to give it another go, as aside of something with souleating which discouraged resting I remember it being fairly forgettable. I might have never gotten over the cliffhanger at the end of NWN2, though.

People seem to really like Mask of the Betrayer for some reason. I am thinking I might have to give it another go, as aside of something with souleating which discouraged resting I remember it being fairly forgettable. I might have never gotten over the cliffhanger at the end of NWN2, though.
Its fairly brutal on builds that require rest spamming, but is actually not difficult to get through if you’re judicious.

The writing is top notch though. If NWN2 is a meditation on heroism, MotB is the same thing on the topic of love.

• Like 2

Or Planescape: Torment for that matter.

• Like 1

Its fairly brutal on builds that require rest spamming, but is actually not difficult to get through if you’re judicious.

The writing is top notch though. If NWN2 is a meditation on heroism, MotB is the same thing on the topic of love.

I'd say it's Mask of the Betrayer that's the meditation on heroism instead, whereas Neverwinter Nights 2 is simply the traditional hero's journey. The whole talk of masks and assumed positions and reccuring histories in Mask seems to be directly commenting on the monomyth from a more detached perspective. Overall it's a great game, quite underrated.

• Like 2

I'd say it's Mask of the Betrayer that's the meditation on heroism instead, whereas Neverwinter Nights 2 is simply the traditional hero's journey. The whole talk of masks and assumed positions and reccuring histories in Mask seems to be directly commenting on the monomyth from a more detached perspective. Overall it's a great game, quite underrated.
It definitely follows that arc, but pay closer attention to the characters and I think you might agree with me.

Same thing with Mask. Safiya = mother/daughter love, Gann = mother/son & romantic love, the “witches” = nationalism (the love of country), Okku = love of family/tradition, and so on. You can do the same thing with 2 and heroism

Well... I didn't enjoy MotB and never finished it, so there you go.

I never finished PS:T either. :p

It definitely follows that arc, but pay closer attention to the characters and I think you might agree with me.

Same thing with Mask. Safiya = mother/daughter love, Gann = mother/son & romantic love, the “witches” = nationalism (the love of country), Okku = love of family/tradition, and so on. You can do the same thing with 2 and heroism

In all frankness I don't think Neverwinter Nights 2 does much to develop any theme, but that's personally how I found it. With regards to Mask I do have to play it again as I don't have it completely in mind right now, but I feel that love acts mostly as a secondary theme than as a primary one - to me the aspects relating to destiny, the monomyth and the hero's role are much more crucial to the central narrative ultimately, which revolves around the protagonist's fulfillment of his role as the Betrayer and as part of the crusade against the Wall of the Faithless and so on. But I haven't played it in years and certainly ought to revise it.

I never finished PS:T either. :p

8Mfc.gif

• Like 2

In all frankness I don't think Neverwinter Nights 2 does much to develop any theme, but that's personally how I found it. With regards to Mask I do have to play it again as I don't have it completely in mind right now, but I feel that love acts mostly as a secondary theme than as a primary one - to me the aspects relating to destiny, the monomyth and the hero's role are much more crucial to the central narrative ultimately, which revolves around the protagonist's fulfillment of his role as the Betrayer and as part of the crusade against the Wall of the Faithless and so on. But I haven't played it in years and certainly ought to revise it.
I’m a little overdue, but I replay it every couple of years. Underrated game, IMHO

What sort of riveting dialog were you hoping for?

The whole topic is clearly about  " A Cean Gŵla as a joinable companion " and we are talking about PoE.

Instead, there is a whole discussion about PST, NWN2 and that other game that i don't even know about. This is clearly out of topic.

If you want to compare 2 or more different games or other things, please do that in the right topic.

Because here we are talking about something else.

And if this topic is of no interest, well then better say nothing and let it be forgotten instead of using it to talk about other topics.

It's simple and polite.

Edited by Matteo89.b

What sort of riveting dialog were you hoping for?

The whole topic is clearly about  " A Cean Gŵla as a joinable companion " and we are talking about PoE.

Instead, there is a whole discussion about PST, NWN2 and that other game that i don't even know about. This is clearly out of topic.

If you want to compare 2 or more different games or other things, please do that in the right topic.

Because here we are talking about something else.

And if this topic is of no interest, well then better say nothing and let it be forgotten instead of using it to talk about other topics.

It's simple.

We were discussing the subject in relation to the value of unconventional companions. Perhaps the discussion of the finer details regarding themes and so on were veering slightly off-topic, but you can expect a bit of that in any topic and it surely didn't lead to a tangent less productive or relevant to the thread than this one you've just opened up. It's best to let conversations go to the tangents they naturally lead to, and eventually they'll come back to the main topic.

Edited by algroth
  • Like 1