Pillars of Eternity 1 Tutu; think it is possible?

For those who are unfamiliar, Baldur's Gate Tutu was a mod that basically imported Baldur's Gate 1 into BG2, allowing you to play the new classes and kits and take advantage of all the other updates the sequel brought. It is sort of like most of what Beamdog did for EE, but for free. 

Now there is a much wider gulf between POE 1 and 2 than with BG 1 and 2, but does anybody think this might be possible, at least in some form?

Mechanically there is a big design difference between PoE-PoE2. If we are talking about importing PoE1 campaign with Deadfire mechanics I doubt it would be a good idea - I am pretty sure that encounters and map layouts are designed differently for old and new system. 

There was sort of a discussion on the subject during one of the streams. Here is the excerpt:

Can and will the performance gain of Pillars of Eternity 2 be backported to Pillars 1?

JS: That would require basically re-porting the engine. It would almost be like making an Enhanced Edition version, like the Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition and all that stuff.

I think it's possible, I think it'll be a lot of work.

BN: Adam and I just talked about it over lunch. I'm not saying we're doing it, but it is something we're talking about and thin—you know. There's always a possibility.

JS: One of the things that's crazy is, recently, I went into a room to look at Pillars and I've been Pillars 2 so much and I was like <surprised sound, shakes head>

BN: And I think that's where it came from, we were literally walking by looking at Pillars 1 and, you know, after staring at Pillars 2 every day...again, don't take this as there's any plans right now, but it's at least something we've talked about. Who knows. Maybe.

EDIT: pffff, we are yet to see this performance gain they talk about. 

Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 2

I think if there is a PoE 3, there should be a PoE Trilogy that plays the games continuously in one engine/ruleset. But given how radical the changes have been and the long years between releases, I doubt that will happen unless we find talented moders with no life or bribe Josh Sawyer with cute doggos and cats.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Considering that Josh won’t helm PoE3 I would much prefer if they wrap up Watcher’s arc in Deadfire and introduce new protagonist and new take on the system/genre in the third installement. Last parts of trilogies tend to not be very good. I am sure designers are full of cool ideas and it would be shame to force them to remake same game over and over.

Edited by Wormerine

I now have a mental image of Eder in a tutu - and now so do you...you're welcome :p

• Like 4

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

Considering that Josh won’t helm PoE3 I would much prefer if they wrap up Watcher’s arc in Deadfire and introduce new protagonist and new take on the system/genre in the third installement. Last parts of trilogies tend to not be very good. I am sure designers are full of cool ideas and it would be shame to force them to remake same game over and over.

Strongly disagree. I want continuity of protagonist between all parts of my trilogy. I want to be able to play *MY* character the *whole way through*. If the third part is suddenly entirely different from the first two, then I suddenly don't give a damn about the third part. All the time and effort I invested in that character suddenly no longer matters? The series suddenly no longer matters, in my head.

• Like 2

Strongly disagree. I want continuity of protagonist between all parts of my trilogy. I want to be able to play *MY* character the *whole way through*. If the third part is suddenly entirely different from the first two, then I suddenly don't give a damn about the third part. All the time and effort I invested in that character suddenly no longer matters? The series suddenly no longer matters, in my head.
That is like refusing to play Icewind Dale on the grounds that you aren’t playing your CHARNAME from Baldur’s Gate. I would love to play more stories in the setting. Stories of other characters who aren’t the Watcher give Obsidian more narrative flexibility.

Lots of RPGs (Fallout, TES, Dragon Age, Divinity) have you play as different characters in each game because the series is about the setting more than any individual story within the setting.

Edited by Bionick
  • Like 3

I was hoping for a new protagonist/story this time too.

Always good to start freash and rpgs )and Obsidian rpg especially) are long games, enough to tell and conclude a complex story in a single game.

You know what could be cool? If obs took Pillars the way Bioware takes Dragon Age: Each game is different and it moves the timeline forward and picks a different place. 

• Like 2

I was hoping for a new protagonist/story this time too.

Always good to start freash and rpgs )and Obsidian rpg especially) are long games, enough to tell and conclude a complex story in a single game.

You know what could be cool? If obs took Pillars the way Bioware takes Dragon Age: Each game is different and it moves the timeline forward and picks a different place. 

Yeah, same here. I was surprised that they a continuing story. While it's crearly an easier sell, I think it's also confining in a way. Still, looking forward to see what Obsidian will do with do with a direct sequel.

Considering how many people dislike the spellcasting change, it would be cool if for the next game they would went other direction - design their game around limited resting and spell management and all that stuff.

I am not in the loop: has JS said what kind of project he will work on next instead of POE3? New IP? He isn't leaving Obsidian or anything, right?

I am not in the loop: has JS said what kind of project he will work on next instead of POE3? New IP? He isn't leaving Obsidian or anything, right?

He won't direct any of the upcoming dlcs/expansions that's for sure. We don't know if there is a plan yet for "Josh's next game" or anything. We know, though, that he's busting Feargus' balls for a european medieval game; he hinted lately that if he makes something like that it can be even "smaller" than Pillars (in production value that is). He also mentioned that he'd love to make a turn-based game in Pillars' world and that Obsidian would like to make a full 3D first person rpg in the same world too.

Too early to know anything. Right now we can only wait for the new Cain/Boyarski game revelation (something about "Outer Worlds" apparently). Είδομεν...

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 2

That is like refusing to play Icewind Dale on the grounds that you aren’t playing your CHARNAME from Baldur’s Gate. I would love to play more stories in the setting. Stories of other characters who aren’t the Watcher give Obsidian more narrative flexibility.

Lots of RPGs (Fallout, TES, Dragon Age, Divinity) have you play as different characters in each game because the series is about the setting more than any individual story within the setting.

Baldur's Gate was a *different series* from Icewind Dale. Fallout 2 didn't have the same character from Fallout 1, so Fallout 3 *didn't have that investment*. They're not the same situation *at all*.

• Like 1

Baldur's Gate was a *different series* from Icewind Dale. Fallout 2 didn't have the same character from Fallout 1, so Fallout 3 *didn't have that investment*. They're not the same situation *at all*.

Sure, that’s why I said I hope they will wrap up Watcher’s storyline in Deadfire and go forward from there. Whenever it’s called Pillars of Eternity 3, or Pillars of Eternity: Origins, or whatever else I don’t really care. Changing creative director might go well with changing a direction for the franchise.

Sure, that’s why I said I hope they will wrap up Watcher’s storyline in Deadfire and go forward from there. Whenever it’s called Pillars of Eternity 3, or Pillars of Eternity: Origins, or whatever else I don’t really care. Changing creative director might go well with changing a direction for the franchise.

If they switch the character, the game should have a new name too. Having a Pillars 3 with a new character would be weird too me. I'm all up for another story or whatever, but the title/name should reflect that.

• Like 3

When has that ever mattered? Every trilogy that made a big deal about save importing has completely whiffed on making it matter. I mean I like the idea but I don't understand being so attached to it when so far every attempt has failed.

• Like 1

Frankly to me its less about desire of continuing the same character or creating a new one, and more that traditionally 3rd installments really suck (a notable exception is Witcher series, where is some regards the low point was 2nd game and in some it was getting better with every game). 

Since original StarWars everyone feels a need to make a trilogy ignoring the fact that even Return of the Jedi fell flat on its face for the most part.

Well, both Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate take place in the same setting with the same gameplay running on the same engine released by the same publisher and were developed by some of the same people. There is just as much in common between those games and Morrowind and Skyrim. The only reason the former are a different series and the latter is one is because of the naming convention. That is it. If we take these articles and follow them to the logical conclusion, if OBS make a game set in Eora with a new protagonist and name it something else then you will play it, but if they name it Pillars of Eternity 3 then you won't. If the only deciding factor about whether you play a game is the name, then I think that is a miscalibration of priorities. 

• Like 1

Well, both Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate take place in the same setting with the same gameplay running on the same engine released by the same publisher and were developed by some of the same people. There is just as much in common between those games and Morrowind and Skyrim. The only reason the former are a different series and the latter is one is because of the naming convention. That is it. If we take these articles and follow them to the logical conclusion, if OBS make a game set in Eora with a new protagonist and name it something else then you will play it, but if they name it Pillars of Eternity 3 then you won't. If the only deciding factor about whether you play a game is the name, then I think that is a miscalibration of priorities.

I do think he has a point, and by PoE3 I did mean Obsidians 3rd game set in Pillars’ world. A franchise brings expectations, doing same over again can be just as dangerous as doing something too different. For me, personally, BGs, Mass effects or PoE have never been about protagonists. They and avatar through which I explore those worlds and whenever it is the same avatar or a different one I really don’t care. But I feel that making different protagonists does solve a lot of issue - different character motivations, no restrictions as to who you are or what your role is, lvl up from the start withou odd explanations like dying, getting your soul sick out out (again) or whatever Deadfire will come up with. Setting reactivity based on prior games should be easier etc. Edited by Wormerine
  • Like 1

When I read "Pillars of Eternity: Origins", I thought this game takes place over 2000 years in the past and you are involved in the creation of gods.

Spoiler: Depending on your choice you will the one who sacrifices others for the creation of gods, you are being sacrificed or you become a god. ;)

Edited by Madscientist

I really like the Legend of Heroes: Trails series.

There is the Trails in the Sky arc ( 3 games ), Trails of Azure/Zero ( 2 games ), Trails of cold Steel ( at least 3 games ) and maybe they will also make a calvard arc.

Each arc consists of several games that form a complete story. But all arcs are interconnected and they take place on the same continent. So a character who is a playable character in one arc will be an NPC in the other and things that happen in one arc are mentioned in the others.

• Like 1