Hello everyone.

I was gonna ask for some help.

While i've bought this game a while ago, and played it for a few hours i din't really get into it, not because of the game itself or the story, but because usually i like to play the Necromancer/Knight kinda build, and i gotta admit i don't really see how i can do this in this game, so its been a while since i've played it beause of my lack of motivation.

But since i've allready outplayed everything i've been playing, i want to get back into PoE, so if you could help me with designing or at least put me on the path to it to become a Dark Knight.

Think Heavy/medium armor, Two hander sword preferably, can us "dark" magic to siphon others life/energy or debuff them.

An Anti-Paladin kind of feel if you will.

Thank you for your suggestions.

• Like 2

My first thought is to use a wizard, as they have several spells which drain endurance from the target to heal themselves. In addition, they get a first level spell that summons a parasitic staff.

My second thought is a Bleak Walker paladin using Tidefall, a greatsword that does wounding and drains endurance from enemies to heal you. Bleak Walkers appear to fit the theme you're going for, except that they don't really have debuffs aside from scroll usage (scrolls can be great).

Thematically, the Bleak Walker is the closest to a dark knight. Then add some lore so he can use scrolls for spells. 

Honestly though, maybe you're better of waiting for Deadfire. With the new multiclassing system, you'll be able to build a sweet death knight character.

Edited by Heijoushin
  • Like 1

heh, Very similar to my Necromancer idea, but easier to go directly to wizard conceptually.  (draining staff, and dangerous implement combo for that whole use life, take life feel).  Just to have some separation from that, I'd use the Bleak Walker with endurance draining weapons (and be sure to take the Skeleton summoning talent, cuz ... required).

My suggestions:

- Bleak Walker with Tidefall or Firebrand

- Barbarian with Tidefall

- Chanter with Soft Winds of Death/Endless Host as phrases and all those invocations that cicrle around fear, death and decay, wielding Tidefall

- Priest of Skaen with Firebrand

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Wizard. 

Fear, terrified, slow spells, draining spells... seems the most thematically appropriate class. Probably leather armour for the most DR with the least recovery time. RP as the early stages of a Death Knight who is just starting in the world but wants to build up both his arcane and physical power. He/she understands that the arcane is necessary in order to make a proper Death Knight ^_^. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

* A Bleak Walker literally has to be Cruel and Aggressive whenever possible to rack up his Faith and Conviction talent.  The Bittercut(s) in the official build's weapon choice section aren't two-handed, but dual wield absolutely works better with heavy armor and more importantly, Bittercut is primarily corrode damage.  That fits the roleplay wonderfully.  If you wanted to wield Bittercut in one hand and Purgatory in the other, you'd have a draining weapon too.

* Dark Cipher.  You can get a very antipaladin-ish feel by paralyzing your enemies(level 2 power) and slicing them up for power.  You can spam Whisper of Treason to turn enemies against one another, and enslaving the living is an interesting change from raising the dead.  For even more fun, have your chanter start up a "dragon thrashed" chant before you start spamming treason so that they're burning to death while killing your enemies.

• Like 1

Well, it depends upon the level of your imagination and what you personally consider "dark". Let me explain.

Of course, Bleak Walker is obvious. He is dark knight "from the box". No imagination required, he will be exactly what you need. He is agressive, cruel and likes violent approach.

Then, "Muscle Wizard" (close-combat mage) was huge fun for me - uses draining summoned weaponry, parasitic staff avaliable at level one, then you switch to Lance, also you focus on protective spells (to survive) and "dark" leaching debuffs. Basically, if at level up you see something with the name of  Concelhaut - you take it. Concelhaut is a pro in dark leeching magic, also you will have a chance to kick his ass in the very end of the game and become the ultimate badass mage (White March part 1 dlc required).

But for me, chanter is a very grim and scary class, but to enjoy him you need to play on Hard, battles are very fast on other levels, and chanter is a "carry" class, he needs time to shine.

Chanter is not a merry singing music box. Chanters use music to collect fragments of souls around them, enslave them, make them serve their will and they are in fact true necromancers of Eora.

The idea is this.

Imagine you meet a man, who starts to sing, or mumble, and you feel that this song drains your life power with every note (chant - "Come, come, soft winds of death"), after some time the song becomes stronger, and ghosts start to appear ("But the spirit shall not rest"), then skeletons rise from the ground ("Bones under the hill"), and you understand you are paralysed as they approach to get you. Chanter can do all this. Not mentioning: wyverns, ogres, skeletons that split in two and rise again when killed, drakes, debuffs like paralyse or destroying armour.

He is like black metal singer, but all his songs become reality.

To me chanter is way more intimidating then anyone else, as long as you learn some lore and have good imagination.

The problem is that in PoE you meet Kana the chanter, who is very positive and pleasant, and playing at any levels below hard make you think he is useless. When he is ready to shine, the battle is already over :)

And I also like the idea that art is a kind of magic.

Edited by neotemplar
  • Like 2

There are Death Knights in the game (those are vessels - see lvl 8 Endless Paths and also Concelhaut's Tower) but I always had the feeling that they don't really fit into the game's lore (other than Alguls and such).

Well, Dark Knight is not occupied. :)

By the way: one can use the console to add a Death Knight's plate armor to the inventory. It's not really cheating - it just looks cooler than normal plate but doesn't do anything special.

• 4 years later...
On 3/28/2018 at 1:26 PM, Boeroer said:

Well, Dark Knight is not occupied. :)

By the way: one can use the console to add a Death Knight's plate armor to the inventory. It's not really cheating - it just looks cooler than normal plate but doesn't do anything special.

I’ve been scouring the net, searching all over, but man I cannot determine the console code for the Death Guard Plate Armor.. Anyone know the exact console line to add this in game… I can’t seem to get the ‘xxxx’ part correct int the following ‘AddItem Plate_Armor_xxxxx 1’ 

Anyone know the right console command to add it?

No matter which fork in the road you take I am certain adventure awaits.

You can look into the game_s object folder (<game folder>/PillarsOfEternity_Data/assetbundles/prefabs/objectbundle) to find all the items' names. This one should be "plate_armor_death_guard.unity3d" - so the command is:

"AddItem Plate_Armor_Death_Guard 1"

I tried it out just to be sure and it works. 

Edited by Boeroer