The game will have many updates post release.

Why do I fear this?

They will have an update for every single bug they fix. For every update you have to download the whole game again, even if they change only a single line of code.

You will never be able to play because the game is updating all the time.

The save files will not be compatible between the different versions, of course.

• Like 2

I don't need any croutons in my salad pal but I think it will be more exciting to some to find the worst bug in the game than the best thing about the game.

Thats going to become an E-sport one day "Find the bugs". Obsidian, EA and Bethesda will be the top sponsors, of course.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I have a more fearsome prediction: To prevent bugs, pathfinding is unchanged from the original game.

Was pathfinding so bad? I don't remember that.

God yes.  I am playing through the game right now with 5 characters who can potentially melee and the game just cannot cope a lot of the time, it's a mess.

Characters will:

• Fail to attack, with a reach weapon equipped, and an enemy within range
  • Fail to path around allies to reach an enemy that is nowhere near surrounded
  • Stand behind attacking allies and do nothing, despite there being a clear path around the allies to attack the enemy
  • All beeline for the same enemy despite the fact that the battle lines have changed and they are now attempting to path past enemies in order to get to that enemy
  • Fruitlessly bump up against enemies attempting to get to an enemy they now cannot reach
  • Suffer disengagement attacks attempting to get to enemies they now cannot reach
  • Fail to switch targets in a timely manner due to battle lines changing between the commencement of battle and reaching the target
  • Often stutter from side to side while attempting in vain to path past enemies to get to an enemy they cannot reach
  • Fail to respond to commands issued via pressing a hotbar button
  • Completely freeze up, failing to do anything after being issued a hotbar button command

There's probably more but those are the memorable behaviours I've seen.  And this is on a current playthrough.  As in, CURRENT PATCH.  Not from months or years ago or whatever.  (A couple of those are not related to pathing but whatever)

I am in the process of replaying BG1EE right now and honestly I can't say that Pillars' pathing is much better than that game's.

One of my biggest annoyances is not being able to map a hotkey to the AI toggle.  Constantly reaching over to the far left of the screen to turn AI on and off is TIRESOME AS HELL.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

I have a more fearsome prediction: To prevent bugs, pathfinding is unchanged from the original game.

Was pathfinding so bad? I don't remember that.

It has serious issues depending on your team set up. I didnt find it to be an issue on my first playthrough, and if you have a healthy mix of melee/ranged/casters you will be fine. But try to roll with a more melee oriented squad and you will run into a lot of issues. Characters with ranged melee weapons not attacking even though they are in range, people getting stuck trying to reach enemies etc. I also tend to not rely on AI at all, so as my orders tend to be more specific I avoid a lot of issues.