[Spoiler] A Tale of Two Sympathies

I still don't see a convincing argument to why Huana being good, bad or literal nazis is making Valian colonialism less or more bad. OR, as it was suggested in this thread - it makes actual, RL earth colonialism look less bad, which is a ridiculous claim.

There will be none, as those are unrelated things. https://www.logicallyfallacious.com/tools/lp/Bo/LogicalFallacies/136/Non-Sequitur

Or in short: two wrongs do not make a right.

Let me use a more clear example:

• Guy 1 (Let's call him Vallian) robs&shoots dead Guy 2 (let's call him Huana) on the street.
    • It later turns out Guy 2 was beating up his wife. Does it make what Guy 1 did less evil? Did Guy 2 deserved it? Surely 1 will argue that. But if someone falls for that logic - it is their fault, not the fault of the facts.

Other example:

• Group 1 (let's call them Vallian) colonizes group 2 (let's call them Huana). And colonization is an umbrella term for all kinds of nasty stuff one would do to get the land and resources. Then every year Group 1 eats turkey.
    • It turns out Group 2 was a culture that did slavery, kith sacrifice, canibalism, all sorts of nasty sh*t long before Group 1 arrived. Does it make what Group 1 did less evil? Surely Group 1 will use that as an argument to defend themselves. But if someone believes that argumentation - it is their own fault, not fault of the facts.

The same goes on with RL colonizations. Some natives were up to all kinds of bad and evil stuff by our moral standards. Colonists did use that as an argument why what they do is not wrong. Of course this is a pitiful attempt of rationalization of own sins. Everybody wants to be the good guy and human need for rationalization is strong.

But if you believe that some natives being bad people makes colonisation right or less evil - this is your fault, not the fault of the facts. You fell for their spin of the facts and believed it.

But the fact remains - they did what they did

Facts are not racist. Facts are not oppressive.

Exactly right.

I am not sure Pillars of Eternity is the franchise for you.  Even Pillars of Eternity 1 had a questline where you saw/heard colonists and natives commit atrocities against one another (see the Maerwald quest).  I am sure you would find that nuance equally problematic.  May I suggest Bioware games?  I hear they have a nice "blue = good" and "red = bad" option for players.

Actually, given what Dragon Age: Inquisition has revealed about the ancient elves, I suspect that franchise wouldn't work for them either. Plenty of shades of grey to be had there.

Never played Dragon Age, and so I cannot comment.  I more so remember Mass Effect and the Paragon (blue-nice) - Renegade (red-mean) options. Based on some of the posts in this thread, I am starting to see why Bioware implemented such a binary system.  

It's just a little humorous that someone takes offense to Huana having flaws/issues in PoE2, especially when PoE1 dealt with similar issues.   For example, the child sacrifice quest in Twin Elms, in which a tribesman wants to sacrifice the Orlan baby for power.  That was an instance where you had a horrendous act (i.e., child sacrifice) committed  by an "oppressed" tribe (victims of colonization).  Therefore, it is not as if PoE has not broached this subject before.  

I just assume the poster did not finish the quest.  

Edited by Nixl