Why the hell are they dumbing down the game?

I just recently replayed the BG series and PoE and I think the combat gameplay is practically identical. You use the same control scheme, pausing at intervals to issue orders, casts spells, and drink potions. The biggest changes are engagement and the spell templates showing before you cast, but neither of those fundamentally change how you're playing combat.

I do not know what it is you have been smoking, but I hope it is legal wherever you are. Cheers!

he has a point there the combat is very similar 

did you not see where he explained why its is?

atleast he didnt just make a comment and not back it up without some facts

"Spiritual successor" means "plagiarising someone else's style".

Everyone knows Science Fiction is really cool. You know what PoE really needs? Spaceships! There isn't any game that wouldn't be improved by a space combat minigame. Adding one to PoE would send sales skyrocketing, and ensure the game was remembered for all time!!!!!

You guys are really amusing sometimes. I love the intricacies and irregularities of the English language, I think it is a beautiful mess. Like how Germanic animals suddenly become French when you cook them. /cows becomes beef, sheep become mutton, pigs become pork et cetera ....

Reading this kind of thing makes me remember why I love this forum so much.

It's good to talk about silly things such as gaming with educated people  :geek:

----------

When I was reviewing the news about PoE 2 and I faced the same questions as the OP.

(even if don't agree with the tone).

I really loved the original game and I was not that enthusiastic about Obsidian changing everything.

Basically, Multiclasses and Kits were all that I wanted for PoE2.

The multiclass system actually looks perfect (even if it will certainly need a couple of tweaks). A multiclass character basically trades pure power for versatility and combo potential. It seems to be a very clever design.

The first time I reviewed the kits, I thought that some felt imbalanced. I reviewed again the wiki recently and it already seemed better. 

Rest system was akward. Rest system was already akward in BG. It came from P&P and was made for it. It might be better if it is changed, even if it will cost some time and effort to the Devs.  

Might vs Strength feels a bit wrong. The stats system was almost perfect in the original game.

Resolve needed a bit of buff (and maybe Constitution too, but a very minor one such as applying to healing spells for some reasons), but I don't like the way it is currently done. It opens the possibilities for Dump stats. Dump stats are  :devil:  

I would have preferred if Resolve reduced Debuff duration or something like this. It would be a very interesting defensive stats in this case. 

I don't really understand why Obsidian wants to change this. Maybe they don't want all damages dealer to have High Might ? I suspect that Dexterity will be better in a system which relies on ressource generation (For example, Dex was usually better than Might for Cipher).

We must remember two things :

- PoE was incredibly more balanced than BG has ever been. They don't even play in the same league. This was not BG's fault, it is just that game design has been incredibly improved since BG's time.

- It took about 2 years for PoE1 to go from "more or less balanced" to "almost balanced" which is its current state.

So I would say that I'm pretty convinced that Obsidian will eventually succeed but a part of me would have preferred that they didn't change so much so the game would have been "trully completed" more quickly.

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 5

Furthermore, the Penetration system seems currently a bit wrong too.

Basically some weapons will get better damages (or DPS) and some others will get better penetration (less reduced by armor).

This is the same "philosophy" as the old system except it is more robust against end game scaling (which is good) and it has a lot more "threshold effects", which implies tedious checking of actual values and less robustness against tiny variations (which is evil).
I would be much more convinced by a more continuous calculation (even with some weird logarithmic curve which would cause damages to decrease quickly when penetration is unsufficient and to increase slowly when it exceeds the needed value).

It is not like if Obsidian was affraid of complex mechanism (cough cough attack speed)

Edited by Elric Galad
  • Like 1

Furthermore, the Penetration system seems currently a bit wrong too.

Basically some weapons will get better damages (or DPS) and some others will get better penetration (less reduced by armor).

This is the same "philosophy" as the old system except it is more robust against end game scaling (which is good) and it has a lot more "threshold effects", which implies tedious checking of actual values and less robustness against tiny variations (which is evil).

I would be much more convinced by a more continuous calculation (even with some weird logarithmic curve which would cause damages to decrease quickly when penetration is unsufficient and to increase slowly when it exceeds the needed value).

It is not like if Obsidian was affraid of complex mechanism (cough cough attack speed)

One of the goals with the new penetration mechanic was to make it less “mushy” - in its first iteration it was even more extreme as anything below required pen would do 30% of base damage. Many felt like it was too harsh as one point of pen would take away 70% of your damage. With feedback they changed it do more gradual degradation. Such extreme decision was explained by a desire to make it clearer when attacks become ineffective and encourage weapon/target swapping. A more gradual system requires manual calculation if player wishes to engage with such system (figure out at what point one should swap weapons or change targets). However, your suggestion is a very common one.

• Like 2

Agreed. I hate break points.