Well, matter is... They are not bad by themselves, they are bad at bashing. Having a shield with bash is not like fighting with two weapons, in that the speed does not improve. Just think about it:  if you can have a shield that does damage AND enhances your attack speed, ON TOP of giving you a strong def bonus, would you consider going 2 weapons? :)

That said, it might be a choice, if you like that particular shield... I'm now almost lev. 13, but until 5 or 6, I gave Eder the Larder Door... well it worked for a while, until I got better shields.. 

- There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary code, and those who don't. - 

I keep reading that shields with bash are worse than normal shields so I have started avoiding them. Are they really worse than normal shields?

yes, unless its a specific full attack build like a Heart of Fury Barb tank or Riposte Rogue, then it is great.

• Like 1

Have gun will travel.

I think it's good. Having that plus one attack gives Edér another chance for the knockdown, as one example.

This too, on a pure tank type fighter an extra roll for knock downs is good.

Have gun will travel.

Well, matter is... They are not bad by themselves, they are bad at bashing. Having a shield with bash is not like fighting with two weapons, in that the speed does not improve. Just think about it:  if you can have a shield that does damage AND enhances your attack speed, ON TOP of giving you a strong def bonus, would you consider going 2 weapons? :)

That said, it might be a choice, if you like that particular shield... I'm now almost lev. 13, but until 5 or 6, I gave Eder the Larder Door... well it worked for a while, until I got better shields.. 

Well it wouldnt be so bad if the bash damage was as strong as a weapon. So bashing should be

• Single weapon with non bash shield - lowest dps
  • Single weapon with bash shield - middle dps
  • Two weapons - highest dps

Im not including the other builds just for arguments sake like two handed and one handed no shield. But bash should give you more dps than non bash shield but what actually happens is:

• Single weapon with bash shield  - lowest dps
  • Single weapon with non bash shield - middle dps
  • Two weapons - highest dps

From what i understand its is because like you said shield does not increase speed like two weapons build (+50% attack speed) so you attack just as often as a setup of 'single weapon non bash shield' but one of your attacks is a very week bash damage as opposed to each attack with a single handed weapon.

Edited by draego
  • Like 1

Depends.

If you have Full Attack abilities like Knockdown, Blinding Strike etc. then a bashing shield is ok and better than a normal one. If you only have auto-attacks (like cipher for example) they are bad.

Also depends if the bash can proc special effects: Badgradr's Barricade and Dragon's Maw are great because of that.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Depends. Larder Door is a bad shield if you have no Full Attacks. Scath Gwannek is only good because of the spell bindings, not because of bash. Badgradr's Barricade and Dragon's Maw are good because of their special procs on bash. As far as I remember that's all the bashing shields in PoE.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods