Does anybody else make full custom parties for schizophrenic role playing?

I've been guilty of this, though lately roleplaying opportunities are becoming rarer. I like to conscript characters from books I've loved (usually all from the same book) and sort of treat that game like a continuation if it shares enough similarity.

It seems as though a lot of contemporary developers like to dictate the experience they want players to have, and most characters in RPGs are already more defined than I would prefer. Like in Fallout 4. I could name my character Rick Deckard, I could make him look reasonably like a young Harrison Ford. I could run around in with a trenchcoat, fedora, and pistol (edit: I even restricted myself to only taking perks which suggested he was a replicant and not really human at all, running around with a skinjob Curie). I could adopt a combat and quest play style sort of reflective of his general personality. . .But then every dialogue exchange and cinematic would just ruin the illusion (especially how every choice was 1.) I will do this 2.) I will do this 3.) I will do this, or; 4.) I will do this later. . .and then that terrible voice)

The problem of Fallout 4 is that you are a father or mother searching for your kidnapped child. Which never pleased me, I like to make my own story. I have four digit hours playtime in FO4 meanwhile and never ended the main story. Thanks to mods and the construction of the world you can use the game for other purposes than story questing. Not many games allow this. For example I never really played a Witcher game (I tried No. 3) because I don't want to be the witcher.

I consider to make a party without magic for PoED. I don't like mages. Isn't it crazy?

If I do! Making schizophrenic custom made parties is my long and cumbersome middle name. I love doing that. I always have, even when I started out playing PnP RPGs a long time ago.

Hello previously unknown RPG tendencies internet soulmate!

Growing my PnP group always played two characters each (so the DM wouldn’t feel bad about killing off characters). I just remembered that and realized that this is probably why I am so used to role playing multiple characters simultaneously and imagining their elaborate interpersonal relationships. Like that between my scoundrel, perpetually drunken, recalcitrant fighter/cleric, Mittens Murderfists, and his constantly exasperated partner-in-crime, thief-with-a-heart-of-gold, Friar.

Howdy, fellow schizophrenic RPGer!

We ran several campaigns where three players played two characters each, and they were a blast. I still have fond memories of those.

I'm sure peeps like us are more used to filling in RP action in situs like these!

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***