So, for those who ARE familiar with them and their work, any speculation on who might be voicing who (assuming at least some of them are cast as companions/sidekicks)?

How can one know? Apart from Mercer that voiced Aloth and Eder and will be voicing them again, we can only assume that males will voice males and females will voice females :p

Most probabaly we'll learn during next week when they announce more.  Maybe some video with them talking about the characters they're voicing etc.

Tbh, I usually don't want to know the voice actors beforehand. Now that I've learn that Mercer voiced Eder and Aloth I'll be imagining his face when I hear them talk. Not to mention I'll know they are the same voice :D

Edited by Sedrefilos
  • Like 1

So, for those who ARE familiar with them and their work, any speculation on who might be voicing who (assuming at least some of them are cast as companions/sidekicks)?

How can one know? Apart from Mercer that voiced Aloth and Eder and will be voicing them again, we can only assume that males will voice males and females will voice females :p

Most probabaly we'll learn during next week when they announce more.  Maybe some video with them talking about the characters they're voicing etc.

Knowing the kinds of inflections/accents/timbres etc that a voice actor can do along with what you know about a character. Like, Tekehu will presumably have a distinct accent, for example.

• Like 1

Travis is very, very likely to be Tekehu’s VA based on this week’s Twitter teases from Mikey.

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Half of them usually voice lots of tiny roles. Laura Bailey usually voice main characters/important NPCs though.

Also, Matt wasn't the only Critical Role member in POE1. Sam and Liam were in it too.

• Like 1

Azarhal, Chanter and Keeper of Truth of the Obsidian Order of Eternity.

Huh. I knew about most of these people individually as talented voice actors with tons of range, but never knew of Critical Role as a group.

That's basically the Voice Actor's curse right there.

People know your work, but nobody knows who you actually are.  And if people know who you are, they probably have no idea the other things you've been involved with.

• Like 2

Half of them usually voice lots of tiny roles. Laura Bailey usually voice main characters/important NPCs though.

Also, Matt wasn't the only Critical Role member in POE1. Sam and Liam were in it too.

Taliesin was in white march as well.

When I replay PoE to prepare a save for Deadfire, I instantly recognise Aloth and Eder was voiced by Matt, which I never realised before. Also picking Liam's voice here and there. Critical role ruined my immersion in PoE 1 a little bit.

To those who didn't know Critical Role, it's a show where "bunch of nerdy voice actors play dungeons and dragons". It starts out as a home game for more than two years before they start streaming. Obsidian(along with CDPR,Blizzard and several other companies) actually authorise them to use their copyright music, so you can hear music from PoE 1 in the show quite a lot.

It's a pretty popular show, so announcing "the whole critical role cast will be in Deadfire" is definitely Obsidian trying to marketing the game, since everyone of them is professional voice actor, it's not really surprising that they will be in Deadfire, half of them was already in PoE 1.

And I'd say it's quite a smart move, since lots of the show's fans are DnD and RPG players, aka potitenal customers for Obsidian.

Edited by jf8350143
  • Like 1

So, I was right... Full Voice Overs :)

Obsidian would do well to follow Larian's example as their path has been a bit more successful thus far, paving the way for other industry vets. I can only see Full VO benefiting Deadfire in a way that we do not yet accept.

Edit: expect.

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

I honestly don’t see what the fuss is about re full VO. But hey, to each their own.

• Like 3

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

What makes you say that?

Oh no! Interrupt! Let me put it differently: on what reasonable grounds do you base that statement?

• Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I wonder, where this idea came from that Divinity2 sold well because of full voice acting?

There are certainly benefits from voice acting, like it’s easier to stream, giving game more exposure. But even so, I doubt that the tone of Pillars is fit for general streaming. For example the Divinity multiplayer stream, done with Mercer, Cox, Dodger and someone else,was a fun ad for the game, but something like that will never happen with PoE. Well, multiplayer isn’t there, but even if it were, it’s not game where “fun” is the engaging part. Overall, Divinity ad campaign was very effective, at least for me personally. Deadfire trailers and promos aren’t terrific.

• Like 2

What makes you say that?

Oh no! Interrupt! Let me put it differently: on what reasonable grounds do you base that statement?

Because I assumed it would have awhile back... on another thread. Why else?

Edit: Oh I didn't see the second part, nvm lol

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I think he was asking why you think the game's going to have full voice overs.

I always thought it would because Larian was doing it and Obsidian would follow their example, it really just made sense to me. I don't really have any other reason that that. I know they aren't close to being the same game, they are polar opposites in Crpg but still, I just always had the feeling.

Edited by SonicMage117

Sonic, dude... you gotta stop doing this. You're misinforming people left and right non-stop.

About the Divinity and VO, I don't think the game sold good because of that but it certainly was appreciated much by most. And boosted people's confidense to the company. From now on, I know Larian is capable of going the extra mile and doing more than what promised.

As for Deadfire's VO, I prefer they go for full VO vs partial VO with internet geeky celebrities to match up. I don't care about Critical Role much and I know there are good actors that are not as well knows as CR, capable of doing the job as good. 

Sonic, dude... you gotta stop doing this. You're misinforming people left and right non-stop.

How am I misinforming people exactly? I've never misinformed people on the forum so I'd like to know where this is coming from.

Did you mean misinterpret?

How am I misinforming people exactly? I've never misinformed people on the forum so I'd like to know where this is coming from.

Well if you "misinterpret" things never been said, you're misinforming. If you're posting your misinterpretations as facts, you're also misinforming. You either post facts or post your speculations based on facts. 

Edited by Sedrefilos

What I really meant: why do you think you were right?

Full VO is not confirmed yet. Actually I guess there will be no full VO. The 2.4 million dollar stretch goal was Korean language and more VO:

In addition to localizing Pillars II into Korean, our stretch goal announcement for $2.4 million is to place additional voice-over audio into Pillars II for a variety of characters, both adding voices to some previously unvoiced characters, and expanding voice sets for characters with already limited voices. While this won't mean every line of dialogue or text is voiced, it will significantly expand the amount of spoken-word dialogue in the Pillars II experience.

Emphasis on the last sentence.

Further stretch goals had nothing to do with VO and I also read no more definitive statements concerning full VO.

So, saying "I was right - Full Voice Over!" is like saying "In always knew that you would die from lung cancer!" when your chain-smoker friend tells you that he has a sore throat. Except! Except you know more than I do concerning VO of Pillars - hence my question.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well if you "misinterpret" things never been said, you're misinforming. If you're posting your misinterpretations as facts, you're also misinforming. You either post facts or post your speculations based on facts.
Got it, so you're not going to answer my questions.

I didn't misinterpret or misinform, I was acting where exactly you got that because you were in fact the one misinforming people when you said that Divinity Original Sin didn't sell well, it literally sold twice as well on PC and demolished Pillars 1 on console.

As stated before, the Enhanced Edition set a new standard for full VO in Crpg so it's not surprising for Obsidian to follow their example and try their hand at accomplishing this as well.